Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > India for new year's

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
India for new year's

Hi everyone, just came back from Bali: soooo nice! especially in the north-east and west!

I'm thinking about going to Delhi and Rajasthan, right after Christmas. and for new year's.

Anyone has any tip?

Especially how to get out of Delhi airport with no hassle?

Any Hotel advice and transportation would be of use!

Anyone who wants to join is welcome to write!

Thanks

Aline

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone, just came back from Bali: soooo nice! especially in the north-east and west!

I'm thinking about going to Delhi and Rajasthan, right after Christmas. and for new year's.

Anyone has any tip?

Especially how to get out of Delhi airport with no hassle?

Any Hotel advice and transportation would be of use!

Anyone who wants to join is welcome to write!

Thanks

Aline

AlineSep 9, 2013 @ 21:17
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 1386 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: India for new year's
Post 1

Hi Aline,

Glad you had a great trip to Bali. I can answer your questions because I am from Delhi myself. Getting out of airport is pretty easy. There are radiocabs availablle at the airport. The reputed companies for radio cabs remain Meru Cabs or Mega Cabs. I strongly recommend taking one of these only. Just keep walking at the exit until you get to the meru counter. On your way you may find lot of drivers asking you saying they are from meru and have radio cabs but just ignore and only take it from Meru stand with a counter.

Regarding hotel, what's your budegt like? The good areas can be south delhi or cnnaught place (CP).. 

Hope this helps..

Cheers

Hi Aline,

Glad you had a great trip to Bali. I can answer your questions because I am from Delhi myself. Getting out of airport is pretty easy. There are radiocabs availablle at the airport. The reputed companies for radio cabs remain Meru Cabs or Mega Cabs. I strongly recommend taking one of these only. Just keep walking at the exit until you get to the meru counter. On your way you may find lot of drivers asking you saying they are from meru and have radio cabs but just ignore and only take it from Meru stand with a counter.

Regarding hotel, what's your budegt like? The good areas can be south delhi or cnnaught place (CP).. 

Hope this helps..

Cheers

ash m, Sep 9, 2013 @ 22:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hello, in 2003 I took these taxis and they brought to a tourist information office à 4am. Where I was told, my hotel was not to be found, I should try another. Finally I ended up going north for 6 hours with a private driver. I felt shocked.

But since I do not want to stay on this negative souvenir, I'd like to go back...

My budget? first night: between 50 and 100 dollars but then a little less if I can.

How do you advise travelling to Rajasthan? I went by train in 1993... but now ?

How is New Year's in Pushkar ?

Is renting a motorbike advisable ? in Bali that is what I did!!!

thank you

Aline

Hello, in 2003 I took these taxis and they brought to a tourist information office à 4am. Where I was told, my hotel was not to be found, I should try another. Finally I ended up going north for 6 hours with a private driver. I felt shocked.

But since I do not want to stay on this negative souvenir, I'd like to go back...

My budget? first night: between 50 and 100 dollars but then a little less if I can.

How do you advise travelling to Rajasthan? I went by train in 1993... but now ?

How is New Year's in Pushkar ?

Is renting a motorbike advisable ? in Bali that is what I did!!!

thank you

Aline

Aline, Sep 10, 2013 @ 07:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Aline,

There are 2 options for going to Rajasthan

1. Buses that originate near India Gate.

2. Shatabdi Express from New Delhi station that goes upto Ajmer via Jaipur.

Meru Cabs, Mega Cabs and Easy Cabs are the most reliable options and you should REFRAIN from using any private taxies.

As regards, hotels while I cannot guide much but stay away from Paharganj area. Karol Bagh can offer rooms in your budget but check well. Try using Hotels.com or Bookings.com

Manish

Aline,

There are 2 options for going to Rajasthan

1. Buses that originate near India Gate.

2. Shatabdi Express from New Delhi station that goes upto Ajmer via Jaipur.

Meru Cabs, Mega Cabs and Easy Cabs are the most reliable options and you should REFRAIN from using any private taxies.

As regards, hotels while I cannot guide much but stay away from Paharganj area. Karol Bagh can offer rooms in your budget but check well. Try using Hotels.com or Bookings.com

Manish

Manish M, Sep 10, 2013 @ 08:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

how about New year's in India? how is it?

how about New year's in India? how is it?

Aline, Sep 11, 2013 @ 06:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I agree regarding staying away from Paharganj area.. You may find attractive deals there but I as an Indian too would feel unsafe there.

Recommended areas: Greater Kailash 1 or 2, Saket, Hauz Khas, Green Park in South Delhi and central Delhi Connaught Place , Karol Bagh. Based on your dates you may be able to get something around 80-100 USD/night for a 3 star hotel.  

Regarding new year in Delhi, until an year before it was a good scene in Delhi but after the world known rape case last year in Delhi, they shut down the places at 1 am normally and 2-3 am on new year's eve.. Rajasthan may not be best place for new year's even though..New year is really happening in Goa in case you could detour..

Cheers

I agree regarding staying away from Paharganj area.. You may find attractive deals there but I as an Indian too would feel unsafe there.

Recommended areas: Greater Kailash 1 or 2, Saket, Hauz Khas, Green Park in South Delhi and central Delhi Connaught Place , Karol Bagh. Based on your dates you may be able to get something around 80-100 USD/night for a 3 star hotel.  

Regarding new year in Delhi, until an year before it was a good scene in Delhi but after the world known rape case last year in Delhi, they shut down the places at 1 am normally and 2-3 am on new year's eve.. Rajasthan may not be best place for new year's even though..New year is really happening in Goa in case you could detour..

Cheers

ash m, Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

oh oh oh I forgot about the bombings!

I am not interested in going out for new years etc, I am just looking for a safe place.

how about Pushkar on new years? could be safe?

I do not want to party, just watch the people in the street, drink chai, talk, go to the temples and watch the offerings...

oh oh oh I forgot about the bombings!

I am not interested in going out for new years etc, I am just looking for a safe place.

how about Pushkar on new years? could be safe?

I do not want to party, just watch the people in the street, drink chai, talk, go to the temples and watch the offerings...

Aline, Sep 11, 2013 @ 14:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

apparently it is very dangerous for women to go to India because of rapes !

Aline, Sep 11, 2013 @ 15:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Sep 11, 13 15:38

Well, I think of it that way.. You need to reaearch about the place you are going and beware of your surroundings..And not be out alone in lonely places..Most such issues happen when you try and compare Switzerland/Europe/Western countries with India and do similar things as you would otherwise.

Well, I think of it that way.. You need to reaearch about the place you are going and beware of your surroundings..And not be out alone in lonely places..Most such issues happen when you try and compare Switzerland/Europe/Western countries with India and do similar things as you would otherwise.

ash m, Sep 11, 2013 @ 15:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Aline, If you consider the place dangerous, then you should not have planned it in the first place. There are areas everywhere, be it Swiss, France or India where a person in his / her wisdom should not visit. Common sense prevails. Have we not heard of fathers raping daughters for years in Europe ?

Follow some basic rules and stay safe is the simple principle...

Aline, If you consider the place dangerous, then you should not have planned it in the first place. There are areas everywhere, be it Swiss, France or India where a person in his / her wisdom should not visit. Common sense prevails. Have we not heard of fathers raping daughters for years in Europe ?

Follow some basic rules and stay safe is the simple principle...

Manish M, Sep 11, 2013 @ 15:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Goa  is  a best place to celebrate   new year .. goa is silent place 

Goa  is  a best place to celebrate   new year .. goa is silent place 

clive c aguiar, Sep 11, 2013 @ 17:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I go to India in November, taking the plane to Delhi and then travelling around. My friend and me plan to take the train from Delhi to Agra and then from Agra to Jaipur. We wanted to book online, but whatever I tried - it doesn't work. ash m, what do you recommend, can we also buy the train tickets directly at the station in Delhi (2 days before)? Or is this risky because there will probably be no free seat?

I go to India in November, taking the plane to Delhi and then travelling around. My friend and me plan to take the train from Delhi to Agra and then from Agra to Jaipur. We wanted to book online, but whatever I tried - it doesn't work. ash m, what do you recommend, can we also buy the train tickets directly at the station in Delhi (2 days before)? Or is this risky because there will probably be no free seat?

Sylvia B, Sep 11, 2013 @ 18:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Sylvia,

Indian Railways booking website is irctc.co.in. You may need to register and try to book. Let me know in case of difficulty. i can help

Manish

Sylvia,

Indian Railways booking website is irctc.co.in. You may need to register and try to book. Let me know in case of difficulty. i can help

Manish

Manish M, Sep 11, 2013 @ 18:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Sep 11, 13 18:30

Sylvia, as indicated by Manish you could register on irctc website and then make bookings online. 

However for the journey you mentioned (Delhi-Agra-Jaipur), if it was me, I would take a cab and do a road trip. Delhi-Agra is three hours on road and Agra-Jaipur is another three hours. If you decide to do a road trip, best is to book a taxi from a reliable tourist taxi company for entire duration of your trip. Comes out cheaper this way and gives you flexibility.

Not sure if you have exeprienced Indian train system before, but the train journeys in India are not as exciting as in Europe.

Happy to help if you need more info.

Ash 

Sylvia, as indicated by Manish you could register on irctc website and then make bookings online. 

However for the journey you mentioned (Delhi-Agra-Jaipur), if it was me, I would take a cab and do a road trip. Delhi-Agra is three hours on road and Agra-Jaipur is another three hours. If you decide to do a road trip, best is to book a taxi from a reliable tourist taxi company for entire duration of your trip. Comes out cheaper this way and gives you flexibility.

Not sure if you have exeprienced Indian train system before, but the train journeys in India are not as exciting as in Europe.

Happy to help if you need more info.

Ash 

ash m, Sep 11, 2013 @ 18:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Will fully endorse what Ash has recommended...key is to find a reliable taxi guy..

Will fully endorse what Ash has recommended...key is to find a reliable taxi guy..

Manish M, Sep 11, 2013 @ 19:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Manish, ash m, believe me, I registered at irctc, at cleartrip, at makemytrip... and I succeeded after 4 days of endless trials Yell...and finally, I chose the trains, and I payed... and got on of the messages:

- we cannot accept international credit cards at the moment

- booking not allowed, you will be refunded

and similar stuff. It's horrible! Now I definitely will not try again.

My friend and me have a private driver for two weeks. Anyway, the two trips we definitely want to do by train. So, taking a taxi would really be the last choice if nothing else works.

Anyway, thanks for your nice replies Smile

Manish, ash m, believe me, I registered at irctc, at cleartrip, at makemytrip... and I succeeded after 4 days of endless trials Yell...and finally, I chose the trains, and I payed... and got on of the messages:

- we cannot accept international credit cards at the moment

- booking not allowed, you will be refunded

and similar stuff. It's horrible! Now I definitely will not try again.

My friend and me have a private driver for two weeks. Anyway, the two trips we definitely want to do by train. So, taking a taxi would really be the last choice if nothing else works.

Anyway, thanks for your nice replies Smile

Sylvia B, Sep 11, 2013 @ 20:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

I can understand your frustration but honestly since it's a government website and e-commerce in public sector is fairly new in India, resolving these issues can be a pain. But no harm giving it a try.. Did you try their customer care helpline (  +91 11- 23701100) ? 

I can understand your frustration but honestly since it's a government website and e-commerce in public sector is fairly new in India, resolving these issues can be a pain. But no harm giving it a try.. Did you try their customer care helpline (  +91 11- 23701100) ? 

ash m, Sep 11, 2013 @ 20:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
16 Replies | 1386 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form