Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Planning for Prague in first week of August

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Planning for Prague in first week of August

Dear Punters,

I am travelling to Prague on 1-4 August. I'll be joined by another friend from Basel.

Could you please suggest the normal do's and Don'ts for Prague? 

Also we have not booked any tickets yet so what would be the best mode of transporation?

TIA!

Warm Regards,

Rohit

The text you are quoting:

Dear Punters,

I am travelling to Prague on 1-4 August. I'll be joined by another friend from Basel.

Could you please suggest the normal do's and Don'ts for Prague? 

Also we have not booked any tickets yet so what would be the best mode of transporation?

TIA!

Warm Regards,

Rohit

Rohit SJul 3, 2013 @ 12:08
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 1491 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Planning for Prague in first week of August
Post 1

I went to Prague in 2011 when I was last in Geneva.

The first decision I made was to just fly there. Weekends away are too short to waste on travel time. I booked at the Novotel - it's called Wenceslas Square but don't be fooled, it's not actually in Wenceslas Square. It's fairly standard hotel, no real charm, but the price was good and it was clean. Everything is definitely in walking distance.

I used the Prague tourism site (http://www.praguewelcome.cz/en/) before I arrived. One of the good things on there are suggested itineraries for 1, 2 or 3 days which at least make sure you take in the main sites.

When I got to the airport, I just took the normal public bus in to the main train station. You buy the tickets in the arrivals hall at the airport, they are much cheaper than any other alternative and you get to see Prague's suburbs on the way in.

I love walking, so I didn't use any other transport options really - but I did take a ride on their metro just to see what it was like!

I'll let you explore the tourism websites for information about sites. My only real tip is to hang around the Old Town Sqaure on the Saturday night. When I was there, there was some sort of festival on - lots of food and wine stalls, a stage with free concerts and even some pole dancers!

My photos from Prague are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anura/tags/prague/show/

The first decision I made was to just fly there. Weekends away are too short to waste on travel time. I booked at the Novotel - it's called Wenceslas Square but don't be fooled, it's not actually in Wenceslas Square. It's fairly standard hotel, no real charm, but the price was good and it was clean. Everything is definitely in walking distance.

I used the Prague tourism site (http://www.praguewelcome.cz/en/) before I arrived. One of the good things on there are suggested itineraries for 1, 2 or 3 days which at least make sure you take in the main sites.

When I got to the airport, I just took the normal public bus in to the main train station. You buy the tickets in the arrivals hall at the airport, they are much cheaper than any other alternative and you get to see Prague's suburbs on the way in.

I love walking, so I didn't use any other transport options really - but I did take a ride on their metro just to see what it was like!

I'll let you explore the tourism websites for information about sites. My only real tip is to hang around the Old Town Sqaure on the Saturday night. When I was there, there was some sort of festival on - lots of food and wine stalls, a stage with free concerts and even some pole dancers!

My photos from Prague are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anura/tags/prague/show/

Anura S, Jul 5, 2013 @ 10:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

DO:

Charles bridge, old town + palace, old town square, wenceslas square, narrow streets between old town square and charles bridge.

If you have time, and excursion to Karlstejn castle (see picture).

Eat traditional Czech food called Gulash with Knedliki (bread dumplings)

Visit medieval czech pubs (can't remember names)

Drink Czech beer

See a puppet show

Go to the museum at the top of Wenceslas square (only if you have time, not top priority)

DON'T

Hang around the central station; it's an unpleasant place.

(Don't) walk through the town by yourself unless you're fine with being approached by prostitutes at every street corner. 

Eat at a touristy restaurant. (e.g. at Wenceslas square or old town square). Look up places online and if necessary book them in advance. 5-minute effort but the difference in quality (and price) is dramatic.

DO:

Charles bridge, old town + palace, old town square, wenceslas square, narrow streets between old town square and charles bridge.

Drink Czech beer

See a puppet show

Go to the museum at the top of Wenceslas square (only if you have time, not top priority)

DON'T

(Don't) walk through the town by yourself unless you're fine with being approached by prostitutes at every street corner. 

Eat at a touristy restaurant. (e.g. at Wenceslas square or old town square). Look up places online and if necessary book them in advance. 5-minute effort but the difference in quality (and price) is dramatic.

Edward B, Jul 5, 2013 @ 10:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Note: I meant mala strana + palace (i.e. at the other side of the river). 

Edward B, Jul 5, 2013 @ 10:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Jul 5, 13 10:20

Let me do all that homeowrk and then I'll update this forum.

Thanks a lot for your information! :)

Let me do all that homeowrk and then I'll update this forum.

Thanks a lot for your information! :)

Rohit S, Jul 5, 2013 @ 11:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

DO:

Drink Czech beer

See a puppet show

DON'T

Jul 5, 13 10:37

Thanks for this, Edward. Should be very handy.

Walking through the town by myself - Me and my buddy (another guy) plan to walk a lot. I am sure they would not disturb tourists who are in the city for a walking tour. I am also wondring how bad can it be.

I'll also follow your advice for booking things early. I prefer it that way. No hassles later.

Thanks for this, Edward. Should be very handy.

Walking through the town by myself - Me and my buddy (another guy) plan to walk a lot. I am sure they would not disturb tourists who are in the city for a walking tour. I am also wondring how bad can it be.

I'll also follow your advice for booking things early. I prefer it that way. No hassles later.

Rohit S, Jul 5, 2013 @ 11:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Jul 5, 13 10:47

Noted. Thanks, again! Smile

Noted. Thanks, again! Smile

Rohit S, Jul 5, 2013 @ 11:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Funny. I saw plenty of prostitutes but was never approached. Not sure what that says about me...

My wife is coming to Geneva this time, so we will make another trip to Prague. Karlstejn castle looks fantastic - definitely on the next trip.

Another great find was in the church across the Charles Bridge on the way to the cathedral. If you climb to the top (inside the dome), there is a museum on the spying activities of the old Communist Government. The church used to be a secret spying base, and there are lots of great photos taken from there.

Funny. I saw plenty of prostitutes but was never approached. Not sure what that says about me...

My wife is coming to Geneva this time, so we will make another trip to Prague. Karlstejn castle looks fantastic - definitely on the next trip.

Another great find was in the church across the Charles Bridge on the way to the cathedral. If you climb to the top (inside the dome), there is a museum on the spying activities of the old Communist Government. The church used to be a secret spying base, and there are lots of great photos taken from there.

Anura S, Jul 5, 2013 @ 11:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Dont forget to visit the graveyard, there is something special about it, cant remember what. And those free classical street concerts. Prague is great.

Dont forget to visit the graveyard, there is something special about it, cant remember what. And those free classical street concerts. Prague is great.

Dorothy W, Jul 5, 2013 @ 12:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Jul 5, 13 12:21

Do:

Yes, the Old Jewish Cemetery (closed on Saturdays) - it's magic. If you don't find it at a first glance: it's above your heads. Not a Do, rather a Must, I'd say.

Don't:

From my experience: go to Prague on a summer weekend (even worse: during summer holidays) as it's absolutely overcrowded.

However: enjoy your trip!!

Do:

Yes, the Old Jewish Cemetery (closed on Saturdays) - it's magic. If you don't find it at a first glance: it's above your heads. Not a Do, rather a Must, I'd say.

Don't:

From my experience: go to Prague on a summer weekend (even worse: during summer holidays) as it's absolutely overcrowded.

However: enjoy your trip!!

Stephanie D, Jul 5, 2013 @ 16:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Do (if you have time to cover all the places) :): 

Prague Castle
Charles Bridge – beware of pickpockets
Oldtown Square – Astronomical clock
Wenceslas Square
Go for river cruise at night
Petrin Hill – nice views and mini copy of Eiffel Tower. Take Funicular up. Ujezd tram stop, same as Victims of Communism Memorial
Victims of Communism Memorial.
Zizkov Television Tower – TV tower with babies crawling up
The Pissing Statue
The Dancing House of Prague
The Hanging Horse
Infant Jesus of Prague
Must watch “Black Box Performance

Recommended restaurants:

Café Louvre – Albert Einstein’s favourite café, Get off at the Narodni Trida Metro Stop, 5 mins walk from the metro
Celnice Restaurant – (Namesti Republiky metro stop) – try the pork knuckle

If you have time (not likely in 4 days) check out Kutna Hora which is 1hr from Prague and visit The Bone Church. Also Cesky Krumlov is a highly recommended but it needs an overnight trip to enjoy it since it's like 190km from Prague. 
Enjoy you trip :)

Do (if you have time to cover all the places) :): 

Prague Castle
Charles Bridge – beware of pickpockets
Oldtown Square – Astronomical clock
Wenceslas Square
Go for river cruise at night
Petrin Hill – nice views and mini copy of Eiffel Tower. Take Funicular up. Ujezd tram stop, same as Victims of Communism Memorial
Victims of Communism Memorial.
Zizkov Television Tower – TV tower with babies crawling up
The Pissing Statue
The Dancing House of Prague
The Hanging Horse
Infant Jesus of Prague
Must watch “Black Box Performance

Recommended restaurants:

Café Louvre – Albert Einstein’s favourite café, Get off at the Narodni Trida Metro Stop, 5 mins walk from the metro
Celnice Restaurant – (Namesti Republiky metro stop) – try the pork knuckle

If you have time (not likely in 4 days) check out Kutna Hora which is 1hr from Prague and visit The Bone Church. Also Cesky Krumlov is a highly recommended but it needs an overnight trip to enjoy it since it's like 190km from Prague. 
Enjoy you trip :)

Violet S, Jul 5, 2013 @ 16:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Jul 5, 13 12:21

Graveyard! Interesting.. :D

Graveyard! Interesting.. :D

Rohit S, Jul 9, 2013 @ 21:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I'm sure you'll have a great time there as it's a cool city but just a couple of bits of advice: Don't take any taxis if you can avoid it. Their idea of a straight line varies massively from yours and mine. Especially don't take any taxis for any real distance as you'll see fares that would make a Geneva taxi driver feel sick!

Also from what I remember, always check the price of wine in restuarants. For a cheap bottle of red which is akin to something you'd pick up in Aldi's, you could pay an astromonical amount.

Otherwise, 'bav se dobre'! Laughing  

I'm sure you'll have a great time there as it's a cool city but just a couple of bits of advice: Don't take any taxis if you can avoid it. Their idea of a straight line varies massively from yours and mine. Especially don't take any taxis for any real distance as you'll see fares that would make a Geneva taxi driver feel sick!

Also from what I remember, always check the price of wine in restuarants. For a cheap bottle of red which is akin to something you'd pick up in Aldi's, you could pay an astromonical amount.

Otherwise, 'bav se dobre'! Laughing  

Rich, Jul 9, 2013 @ 22:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 1491 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form