Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Relocating to Berlin for a year

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Relocating to Berlin for a year

Hi all,

We would like to live in Berlin for a year, kids, cat and all.

How's the job market over there, for example. Housing (on the former east side), cost of living, possibility of somewhat cheating i.e. being still registered here and mostly living there, etc etc.

Any tips about this are most welcome.

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

We would like to live in Berlin for a year, kids, cat and all.

How's the job market over there, for example. Housing (on the former east side), cost of living, possibility of somewhat cheating i.e. being still registered here and mostly living there, etc etc.

Any tips about this are most welcome.

Nadia SMay 30, 2014 @ 12:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1128 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Relocating to Berlin for a year
Post 1

hi Nadia

I don't know about living in Berlin, but about "cheating the system"" here: first of all it depends on what permit you have. With a B permit, you can leave Switzerland for up to 6 months without the need to declare it. With a C permit, you can leave Switzerland for up to 2 years and keep your permit provided that 1) you declare it 2) you give proof of your intention to come back, e.g. you keep your apartment here.

The permit is usually linked to your job, therefore as soon as you leave your job, the OCP is automatically notified, therefore there is no "cheating" option.

hi Nadia

I don't know about living in Berlin, but about "cheating the system"" here: first of all it depends on what permit you have. With a B permit, you can leave Switzerland for up to 6 months without the need to declare it. With a C permit, you can leave Switzerland for up to 2 years and keep your permit provided that 1) you declare it 2) you give proof of your intention to come back, e.g. you keep your apartment here.

The permit is usually linked to your job, therefore as soon as you leave your job, the OCP is automatically notified, therefore there is no "cheating" option.

Federica, May 30, 2014 @ 13:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks for your reply Federica.

I'm actually a Swiss national, so I do not have a permit problem in Switzerland Cool

And I don't really mean super cheating the system. Actually, it's about having one foot here and one foot there. I do not want to leave Gva officially as I want to keep my freelance job, I was thinking of staying in Berlin and coming back to CH about once every two/three weeks for a few days, whereas my children will stay permanently in Berlin (they are old enough to stay there alone, one of them will be of age soon).

I don't know about registration, jobs, housing, etc...

Thanks for your reply Federica.

I'm actually a Swiss national, so I do not have a permit problem in Switzerland Cool

And I don't really mean super cheating the system. Actually, it's about having one foot here and one foot there. I do not want to leave Gva officially as I want to keep my freelance job, I was thinking of staying in Berlin and coming back to CH about once every two/three weeks for a few days, whereas my children will stay permanently in Berlin (they are old enough to stay there alone, one of them will be of age soon).

I don't know about registration, jobs, housing, etc...

Nadia S, May 30, 2014 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

ooooh sorry!!! I completely took for granted you were an expat :)

I am sure someone else will be able to help you out soon.

ooooh sorry!!! I completely took for granted you were an expat :)

I am sure someone else will be able to help you out soon.

Federica, May 30, 2014 @ 17:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Nadia,

I am a Berliner and just moved to Geneva in Jan. So if you ask more specifically, I´m sure I can help you.

As a Berlin aborigine, I wouldn´t know about the international community there, though. But maybe give you some tipps nevertheless :-)

Cost of living: A LOT LESS than here!

Connie

Hi Nadia,

I am a Berliner and just moved to Geneva in Jan. So if you ask more specifically, I´m sure I can help you.

As a Berlin aborigine, I wouldn´t know about the international community there, though. But maybe give you some tipps nevertheless :-)

Cost of living: A LOT LESS than here!

Connie

Connie K, May 31, 2014 @ 22:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1128 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form