Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Rome Tips

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Rome Tips

Hello,

Just coming back from an amazing two day trip in Rome(Yes I know, should have given more days to it). I really enjoyed there and found somethings (might be obvious to some)which I found might be worth sharing here.

1. Ivan Hoe hostel is the best place to crash in Rome. With under 25 euro it offered best location (30 second walk to nearest metro and 10 minute walk to colloseum), awesome hospitality, clean beds and bath, friendly people and nice crowd to spend ur time in rome. Beleive me staying here will enhance your experience in rome.

2. Arm yourself with a very trusty map. (The map is available for free in the Ivan Hoe hostel).

3. Long queues are hoax in both colloseum and vatican (especially in vatican). For colloseum even though the queue was long it didnt took me more than 20 minutes to get ticket. Anycase there many ways to avoid lines in colloseum like buying ticket with audio guide where queue is almost non existant or buying ticket at palantine hill itself. For Vatican all "Skip the Line" tour operators have created hoax that it takes 4-5 Hours to get ticket. I got there by 8,45 am and the queue was huuge there. I was very much tempted to buy tickets from them and skip the line to save 3-4 hours, but finally I decided not to. The ticket counters oopened at 9.00 and I had my ticket at 9.25.

4. Be sure to try Trevi Fountain at night as well. Its one of the most beautiful places in rome.

5. Walk, Walk and Walk in Rome. Use the occassional metro to get bck to ur hostel. Metro ticket costs 1.5 euro. You can use the metro once and any other poublic transport in next 100 minutes.

6. Remember to carry umbrella there. You may get unexpected rains there forcing you to buy overpriced umbrellas and ponchos.

7. Dont buy souvenirs near any of the tourist places. You can buy them for cheap on any one of the shops on the Via cavour near to the Via fori Imperalli intersection. 

8. Give a whole day for vatican city. 

Cheers, 

Rohit

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

Just coming back from an amazing two day trip in Rome(Yes I know, should have given more days to it). I really enjoyed there and found somethings (might be obvious to some)which I found might be worth sharing here.

1. Ivan Hoe hostel is the best place to crash in Rome. With under 25 euro it offered best location (30 second walk to nearest metro and 10 minute walk to colloseum), awesome hospitality, clean beds and bath, friendly people and nice crowd to spend ur time in rome. Beleive me staying here will enhance your experience in rome.

2. Arm yourself with a very trusty map. (The map is available for free in the Ivan Hoe hostel).

3. Long queues are hoax in both colloseum and vatican (especially in vatican). For colloseum even though the queue was long it didnt took me more than 20 minutes to get ticket. Anycase there many ways to avoid lines in colloseum like buying ticket with audio guide where queue is almost non existant or buying ticket at palantine hill itself. For Vatican all "Skip the Line" tour operators have created hoax that it takes 4-5 Hours to get ticket. I got there by 8,45 am and the queue was huuge there. I was very much tempted to buy tickets from them and skip the line to save 3-4 hours, but finally I decided not to. The ticket counters oopened at 9.00 and I had my ticket at 9.25.

4. Be sure to try Trevi Fountain at night as well. Its one of the most beautiful places in rome.

5. Walk, Walk and Walk in Rome. Use the occassional metro to get bck to ur hostel. Metro ticket costs 1.5 euro. You can use the metro once and any other poublic transport in next 100 minutes.

6. Remember to carry umbrella there. You may get unexpected rains there forcing you to buy overpriced umbrellas and ponchos.

7. Dont buy souvenirs near any of the tourist places. You can buy them for cheap on any one of the shops on the Via cavour near to the Via fori Imperalli intersection. 

8. Give a whole day for vatican city. 

Cheers, 

Rohit

Rohit AJun 6, 2013 @ 09:08
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1198 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Rome Tips
Post 1

Any good restaurants?

Any good restaurants?

Alan S, Jun 6, 2013 @ 12:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Good to know, glad you had fun thanks .

Good to know, glad you had fun thanks .

Beck C, Jun 6, 2013 @ 12:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Any good restaurants?

Jun 6, 13 12:12

Actually I had made a long list of restaurants and delicacies to try out, But unfortunately Because of shortage of time I was not able to. But still I was able to try awesosome Panini and Porcheta Near enternace to the Spagna Metro Station, Try Gelato and Kebabs on the Via cavour just before Via Urbana Intersection on the way from termini, Also the cheese platter in Enoteca Provincia Romana was awesome.. 

I wanted to try eateries in Camp Di Fiori and Travestere, but maybe next time.

Actually I had made a long list of restaurants and delicacies to try out, But unfortunately Because of shortage of time I was not able to. But still I was able to try awesosome Panini and Porcheta Near enternace to the Spagna Metro Station, Try Gelato and Kebabs on the Via cavour just before Via Urbana Intersection on the way from termini, Also the cheese platter in Enoteca Provincia Romana was awesome.. 

I wanted to try eateries in Camp Di Fiori and Travestere, but maybe next time.

Rohit A, Jun 6, 2013 @ 12:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Here some tips for good restaurants in Rome :)

GIULIO PASSAMI L'OLIO, via di Monte Giordano 28 (very close to Castel Sant'Angelo area and Via dei Coronari. Very good italian cuisine, excellent meat tartare, very good wines. not expensive and very easy going. Can be very crowded at lunchtime).

PERDINGIANU E CROCCORIGA,vicolo dei Serpenti 3 ( Very close to via Nazionale and via dei Serpenti). This is one of my top favorite restaurants. it can seem very touristic, but the food is tipically Sardinian and they prepare a wonderful Risotto al Cannonau. If you like fish, this is the place to be. Wonderful antipasti with sea food. You can say hello from my side: they know me as the Sardinian Boy who lived in Rome and Naples. 

LA BALDUINA, Largo Maccagno - Vatican Area (10 mins far from the Vatican by taxi)  Wonderful place. Great sea food and not only. The owner, a middle age man, is very nice and kind. He is from Sardinia, and they prepare a wonderful pasta with mussels amd claims, risotto with sea foods, and you can taste a sardinian dessert, which is called SEADAS: a  fried doughnut with cheese inside and honey or sugar on the top. It's super.

CACIO E PEPE, via Avezzana 11, Vatican Area. The restaurant is very famous for the roman cuisine. Here you can have wonderful pasta alla carbonara, pasta cacio e pepe, pasta all'amatriciana. It can be extremely crowded at lunchtime and, if i recall correctly, they do not accept reservations.

DINO E TONY: via Leone IV 60, very very closed to the Vatican. It is always very very crowded, and there is not menu. The owners ( three brothers) give you what's fresh, but it is always very very good and light, despite the wonderful pasta alla carbonara, alla gricia, alla carbonara.

Da ANGELINA: via Galvani 24,  Testaccio area. A very very nice location for a wonderful brunch on Sunday. The choice is really big and once you have composed your dish, it gets weighted and you pay accordingly. It is well known among actors, show business managers, fashion guys and radical leftish people. Wonderful setting inside.

EST EST EST: via Genova 32, not far from Piazza della Repubblica. A very very good Pizzeria with the best fried vegetables you can find in the city. Pretty crowded, but it s the place to be for a good beer.Very very easy going place. 

ENJOY!!!!!!!
Here some tips for good restaurants in Rome :)

GIULIO PASSAMI L'OLIO, via di Monte Giordano 28 (very close to Castel Sant'Angelo area and Via dei Coronari. Very good italian cuisine, excellent meat tartare, very good wines. not expensive and very easy going. Can be very crowded at lunchtime).

PERDINGIANU E CROCCORIGA,vicolo dei Serpenti 3 ( Very close to via Nazionale and via dei Serpenti). This is one of my top favorite restaurants. it can seem very touristic, but the food is tipically Sardinian and they prepare a wonderful Risotto al Cannonau. If you like fish, this is the place to be. Wonderful antipasti with sea food. You can say hello from my side: they know me as the Sardinian Boy who lived in Rome and Naples. 

LA BALDUINA, Largo Maccagno - Vatican Area (10 mins far from the Vatican by taxi)  Wonderful place. Great sea food and not only. The owner, a middle age man, is very nice and kind. He is from Sardinia, and they prepare a wonderful pasta with mussels amd claims, risotto with sea foods, and you can taste a sardinian dessert, which is called SEADAS: a  fried doughnut with cheese inside and honey or sugar on the top. It's super.

CACIO E PEPE, via Avezzana 11, Vatican Area. The restaurant is very famous for the roman cuisine. Here you can have wonderful pasta alla carbonara, pasta cacio e pepe, pasta all'amatriciana. It can be extremely crowded at lunchtime and, if i recall correctly, they do not accept reservations.

DINO E TONY: via Leone IV 60, very very closed to the Vatican. It is always very very crowded, and there is not menu. The owners ( three brothers) give you what's fresh, but it is always very very good and light, despite the wonderful pasta alla carbonara, alla gricia, alla carbonara.

Da ANGELINA: via Galvani 24,  Testaccio area. A very very nice location for a wonderful brunch on Sunday. The choice is really big and once you have composed your dish, it gets weighted and you pay accordingly. It is well known among actors, show business managers, fashion guys and radical leftish people. Wonderful setting inside.

EST EST EST: via Genova 32, not far from Piazza della Repubblica. A very very good Pizzeria with the best fried vegetables you can find in the city. Pretty crowded, but it s the place to be for a good beer.Very very easy going place. 

ENJOY!!!!!!!
Giampaolo Arghittu, Jun 6, 2013 @ 13:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thanks a lot for those restaurants!

Thanks a lot for those restaurants!

Alan S, Jun 6, 2013 @ 13:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Alan and Rohit, you are very welcome :) I lived in Rome and Naples for several years before moving here and I m very happy if these tips will turn out to be useful :)

Alan and Rohit, you are very welcome :) I lived in Rome and Naples for several years before moving here and I m very happy if these tips will turn out to be useful :)

Giampaolo Arghittu, Jun 6, 2013 @ 13:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I recently visited Rome (and loved it, of course) and have a couple tips you may or may not find useful.  I took Viator's "ghosts, mysteries and legends" walking tour and it was great fun - you get to walk around Rome with a local who tells all kinds of morbid stories (of which Rome has plenty) that you wouldn't hear from the more "academic" tours.  It's also pretty reasonably priced.

Also, I know you've heard it before, and it applies in many cities, but keep your bags close and your valuables closer. I saw an attempted purse-snatching on the Spanish Steps, which might not be terribly surprising, but it happened directly in front of two policemen who watched and did absolutely nothing. Much easier to keep your stuff guarded and not tempt thieves!

I recently visited Rome (and loved it, of course) and have a couple tips you may or may not find useful.  I took Viator's "ghosts, mysteries and legends" walking tour and it was great fun - you get to walk around Rome with a local who tells all kinds of morbid stories (of which Rome has plenty) that you wouldn't hear from the more "academic" tours.  It's also pretty reasonably priced.

Also, I know you've heard it before, and it applies in many cities, but keep your bags close and your valuables closer. I saw an attempted purse-snatching on the Spanish Steps, which might not be terribly surprising, but it happened directly in front of two policemen who watched and did absolutely nothing. Much easier to keep your stuff guarded and not tempt thieves!

Amanda N, Jun 6, 2013 @ 14:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

i have visited rome 2 years ago, historical place but its good to be there for almost 5 days and was nice experience.

i have visited rome 2 years ago, historical place but its good to be there for almost 5 days and was nice experience.

hassel lee, Jun 7, 2013 @ 12:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1198 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form