Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > where to take parents visiting me in Lausanne

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
where to take parents visiting me in Lausanne

Hello folks.

So my parents are coming to visit me in Lausanne and they would stay for 1 week.

I was wondering where would you advise to take them (preferably not too far so within canton vaud, geneva, neuchatel) They are in a good phisical condition yet not really looking for something like a hike. Museums is not an option either. So would appreciate any tips on what to do/visit.

Thank you!

The text you are quoting:

Hello folks.

So my parents are coming to visit me in Lausanne and they would stay for 1 week.

I was wondering where would you advise to take them (preferably not too far so within canton vaud, geneva, neuchatel) They are in a good phisical condition yet not really looking for something like a hike. Museums is not an option either. So would appreciate any tips on what to do/visit.

Thank you!

olga pAug 21, 2013 @ 11:26
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 1233 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: where to take parents visiting me in Lausanne
Post 1

Chateau de Chillon .

Velley de  Jeux =  Vallorbe where you can see the Grotto (ancient cave with crystals and stalagtites etc) and also go fishing for trout and bbq them in the woods... its a nice day trip.

Cheese Museum at Gruyere

Take them to one of the high dams in valais and see the mountains... (you can drive most of it)

Visit a watch factory

Montreux by the lake "tea".

Evian day trip, or get a boat to Yvoire from Nyon... its a very pretty town, and eat filet de perches there (cheap and yummy...)

Chateau de Chillon .

Velley de  Jeux =  Vallorbe where you can see the Grotto (ancient cave with crystals and stalagtites etc) and also go fishing for trout and bbq them in the woods... its a nice day trip.

Cheese Museum at Gruyere

Take them to one of the high dams in valais and see the mountains... (you can drive most of it)

Visit a watch factory

Montreux by the lake "tea".

Evian day trip, or get a boat to Yvoire from Nyon... its a very pretty town, and eat filet de perches there (cheap and yummy...)

Charlie, Aug 21, 2013 @ 12:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Gruyere; not just the cheese museum but also the town and castle, and the nearby cable cart up to a great view (I believe at Moleson). 

Gruyere; not just the cheese museum but also the town and castle, and the nearby cable cart up to a great view (I believe at Moleson). 

Edward B, Aug 21, 2013 @ 12:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

The classic places are Chillion Castle near Montreaux, the cathedral in Lausanne, etc...

When my family comes they like visitng the old city in Geneva.  Also a boat trip on lake geneva to Evian is always nice.

The classic places are Chillion Castle near Montreaux, the cathedral in Lausanne, etc...

When my family comes they like visitng the old city in Geneva.  Also a boat trip on lake geneva to Evian is always nice.

Jonathan S, Aug 21, 2013 @ 11:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Or a boat trip to Yvoire in France, a small medieval village if you don't know it already.

Or a boat trip to Yvoire in France, a small medieval village if you don't know it already.

Shirley T, Aug 21, 2013 @ 22:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Cafe de la Gare serves very good cafe, you can take them there :-)

Cafe de la Gare serves very good cafe, you can take them there :-)

Chap, Aug 21, 2013 @ 23:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

What about a day trip to Bern?  Such a small capital city compared to Moscow, but it has its charm and is quite a bit different from Lausanne.

Enjoy.  R.

What about a day trip to Bern?  Such a small capital city compared to Moscow, but it has its charm and is quite a bit different from Lausanne.

Enjoy.  R.

Ritchie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 06:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Aug 21, 13 22:19

what can you see there?

what can you see there?

olga p, Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Enjoy.  R.

Aug 22, 13 06:36

Ritchie, thanks for the trip. I'm just not so sure about Bern. Have been there couple of times for work but somehow it didn't leave me with any rich impressions. maybe just didn't know nice places to see there?

Ritchie, thanks for the trip. I'm just not so sure about Bern. Have been there couple of times for work but somehow it didn't leave me with any rich impressions. maybe just didn't know nice places to see there?

olga p, Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

what can you see there?

Aug 22, 13 11:44

Yvoire is a beautiful medieval town at the France side of the lake. It's small but you can easily spend 3-4 hours there walking around. There are lots of small artisan shops, and there's a museum called 'The Garden of Five Senses' with lots of interesting plants (I'm not a plant person but really loved it). Perhaps best of all, it has a couple of nice restaurants with great terraces (make sure you book ahead). 

We take all our friends to Yvoire, or put them on the boat from Geneva if we don't feel like coming along. 

I'm not sure what the easiest way is to get there from Lausanne, but I expect that there'll be a boat you can take. The best way to plan is to make sure you have 2 hours to walk around and to have either lunch or dinner there; but make sure you leave with the last boat.

Yvoire is a beautiful medieval town at the France side of the lake. It's small but you can easily spend 3-4 hours there walking around. There are lots of small artisan shops, and there's a museum called 'The Garden of Five Senses' with lots of interesting plants (I'm not a plant person but really loved it). Perhaps best of all, it has a couple of nice restaurants with great terraces (make sure you book ahead). 

We take all our friends to Yvoire, or put them on the boat from Geneva if we don't feel like coming along. 

I'm not sure what the easiest way is to get there from Lausanne, but I expect that there'll be a boat you can take. The best way to plan is to make sure you have 2 hours to walk around and to have either lunch or dinner there; but make sure you leave with the last boat.

Edward B, Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Yvoire tourism website

Best restaurants in Yvoire:

- Restaurant du Port

- Le Jules Verne (previously Les Flots Bleu but they changed their name)

Yvoire tourism website

- Restaurant du Port

Edward B, Aug 22, 2013 @ 11:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Yvoire tourism website

- Restaurant du Port

Aug 22, 13 11:59

For quality food and service, I prefer "La vieille Porte".  It's up the hill, so you escape the hordes rushing from the boat to the nearest watering-hole and the view from the terrace offers a different perspective.  Advance booking recommended.

R.

For quality food and service, I prefer "La vieille Porte".  It's up the hill, so you escape the hordes rushing from the boat to the nearest watering-hole and the view from the terrace offers a different perspective.  Advance booking recommended.

R.

Ritchie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 13:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Aug 22, 13 11:44

Every place is of some interest.  I guess it just has to be in the eye of the beholder.

All the best, R.

Every place is of some interest.  I guess it just has to be in the eye of the beholder.

All the best, R.

Ritchie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 13:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Depends on the parents really.

Lausanne is an excellant place to visit, without necessarily needing to leave town, like one may feel the need to do if one lives in Geneva. Watch out though, this weekend there's the Lausanne triathlon which will cause some disruption at Ouchy.

The olympic museum is very good, there's the photography museum next to it. Then there's all the lake front to walk along. to Pully and Lutry, or a boat trip.

L'hermitage if they like Art, there's usually a special exhibition and be combined with a trip up the tour de serbalin to see the view and a drink at the small lake nearby, and if the'yre not finished, there's the vivarium just nearby too.  (BUS 16)

There's the old town of course, to see the cathedral and Chateau.

Depends on the parents really.

Lausanne is an excellant place to visit, without necessarily needing to leave town, like one may feel the need to do if one lives in Geneva. Watch out though, this weekend there's the Lausanne triathlon which will cause some disruption at Ouchy.

The olympic museum is very good, there's the photography museum next to it. Then there's all the lake front to walk along. to Pully and Lutry, or a boat trip.

L'hermitage if they like Art, there's usually a special exhibition and be combined with a trip up the tour de serbalin to see the view and a drink at the small lake nearby, and if the'yre not finished, there's the vivarium just nearby too.  (BUS 16)

There's the old town of course, to see the cathedral and Chateau.

Richard H, Aug 22, 2013 @ 15:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

If I read Olga's original request properly, museums are not an option.

Can't think why, but one man's meat ...  Does restrict the offer though.

R.

If I read Olga's original request properly, museums are not an option.

Can't think why, but one man's meat ...  Does restrict the offer though.

R.

Ritchie, Aug 22, 2013 @ 16:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 1233 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form