Login or Sign Up

Forums in Zurich > Zurich > Talacker admittance criteria: locals only!!!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Talacker admittance criteria: locals only!!!

It seems that the bar Talacker established a new admittance policy: no tourists, no expats but locals only. I was surprised together with all the other friends and usual customers of the bar which yesterday remained at the door facing the pleased expression of a junkie-looking bumpkin in charge of communicating the new strategy. (Is it the premise of the new customer base?) I phoned the personnel inside to come out and clarify such situation. One finally come but instead of solving immediately the embarrassing circumstances asked us to wait a minute. No further explanations or apologies. We waited a bit then we went for another place.

The text you are quoting:

It seems that the bar Talacker established a new admittance policy: no tourists, no expats but locals only. I was surprised together with all the other friends and usual customers of the bar which yesterday remained at the door facing the pleased expression of a junkie-looking bumpkin in charge of communicating the new strategy. (Is it the premise of the new customer base?) I phoned the personnel inside to come out and clarify such situation. One finally come but instead of solving immediately the embarrassing circumstances asked us to wait a minute. No further explanations or apologies. We waited a bit then we went for another place.

Massimo DOct 16, 2011 @ 18:00
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1329 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Talacker admittance criteria: locals only!!!
Post 1

Oct 16, 11 18:00

But you are a local. With an added "g".

But you are a local. With an added "g".

Andrew I, Oct 16, 2011 @ 18:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Had the same experience here last week. However, since it happened to me many times so far in Zurich I always blamed it on my 'high German' language. Then I started a little research project. Everytime I encountered 'locals' I switched to English. You'd be suprised in what tremendous way the reactions differ from each other. I sense though, due to the recent propaganda in election races, attitudes at doors and in shops in ZH turned out a little bit chilling for foreigners. Honestly, sometimes I cannot believe I am living in a city calling itself a 21st century metropolitan melting pot. That's a joke. The resolving strategy is just what you did, take your global friends and move on - leave them behind.

Had the same experience here last week. However, since it happened to me many times so far in Zurich I always blamed it on my 'high German' language. Then I started a little research project. Everytime I encountered 'locals' I switched to English. You'd be suprised in what tremendous way the reactions differ from each other. I sense though, due to the recent propaganda in election races, attitudes at doors and in shops in ZH turned out a little bit chilling for foreigners. Honestly, sometimes I cannot believe I am living in a city calling itself a 21st century metropolitan melting pot. That's a joke. The resolving strategy is just what you did, take your global friends and move on - leave them behind.

Bastian K, Oct 21, 2011 @ 12:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Oct 21, 11 12:11

a bit of publicity stunt for their stunt, perhaps would go a long way !

a bit of publicity stunt for their stunt, perhaps would go a long way !

Claudio S, Oct 22, 2011 @ 08:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I have been at Talacker recently with friends, can't confirm what you're saying because most people inside were expats, not Swiss. 

I have been at Talacker recently with friends, can't confirm what you're saying because most people inside were expats, not Swiss. 

Simon S, Oct 22, 2011 @ 16:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I've been some weeks ago and we were a group of expats (50% male, 50% female). We entered and no problems at all ... Sometimes if a bunch of men shows up they don't let them in, but this not only in Talacker but pretty much everywhere, mostly when venues are crowded. Bring couple of girls and try again ;o))

I've been some weeks ago and we were a group of expats (50% male, 50% female). We entered and no problems at all ... Sometimes if a bunch of men shows up they don't let them in, but this not only in Talacker but pretty much everywhere, mostly when venues are crowded. Bring couple of girls and try again ;o))

Massimiliano B, Oct 28, 2011 @ 20:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Oct 21, 11 12:11

Could you explain a little further the circumstances? I've been going to Talacker for years and they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they denied access to non-locals. On calling the people I know there, they scoffed at the idea of such a policy.

Talacker is one of the few places in the city that isn't full of schicki-micki types yet still welcomes them. The pleasure of this bar is the variety of the clientele, although the beer's so-so...

Could you explain a little further the circumstances? I've been going to Talacker for years and they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they denied access to non-locals. On calling the people I know there, they scoffed at the idea of such a policy.

Talacker is one of the few places in the city that isn't full of schicki-micki types yet still welcomes them. The pleasure of this bar is the variety of the clientele, although the beer's so-so...

Dominic C, Oct 31, 2011 @ 12:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

What are schicki-micki types?

Shaun M, Nov 18, 2011 @ 03:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Nov 18, 11 03:46

der/die Schickimicki (-s)  member of the in-crowd/smart set; trend-setter, jet-setter; fashionista
Schickimicki- (in compounds)  (snobbishly) trendy

I just looked up ... didn't know either ... cool one more german word in my dictionary ;o)

der/die Schickimicki (-s)  member of the in-crowd/smart set; trend-setter, jet-setter; fashionista
Schickimicki- (in compounds)  (snobbishly) trendy

I just looked up ... didn't know either ... cool one more german word in my dictionary ;o)

Massimiliano B, Nov 18, 2011 @ 18:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1329 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form