Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > Advice for best options for skiiing all winter...?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Advice for best options for skiiing all winter...?
Hi there,

Just starting to think about the winter season now, and looking forward to it!

I'm based out of Geneva and plan to ski Saturday/Sunday, virtually every weekend of the season.

Im wondering what your experiences are on the best way to maximise my skiiing time for the cheapest cost.

Priorities are
1. Powder - I'm into big mountain deep powder, freeride, off-piste.
2. No car - (I know!) so Ill be stuck to train/bus.
3. Preferably close to Geneva due to the lack of car, minimise travel time.

So I'm thinking about maybe Verbier or Chamonix season pass?.. Is it worthwhile.. Or should I join a ski club and go wherever they go each weekend, dont they usually do cheap lift+bus direct transfer?

Cheers,
Alan
The text you are quoting:
Hi there,

Just starting to think about the winter season now, and looking forward to it!

I'm based out of Geneva and plan to ski Saturday/Sunday, virtually every weekend of the season.

Im wondering what your experiences are on the best way to maximise my skiiing time for the cheapest cost.

Priorities are
1. Powder - I'm into big mountain deep powder, freeride, off-piste.
2. No car - (I know!) so Ill be stuck to train/bus.
3. Preferably close to Geneva due to the lack of car, minimise travel time.

So I'm thinking about maybe Verbier or Chamonix season pass?.. Is it worthwhile.. Or should I join a ski club and go wherever they go each weekend, dont they usually do cheap lift+bus direct transfer?

Cheers,
Alan
alanmackSep 8, 2008 @ 13:47
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1752 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Advice for best options for skiiing all winter...?
Post 1
I have similar plans, (I mean why else move to Geneva, right ? ;) ). But would also like to know from people with experience in the neighborhood about what works and what doesn't.
I have similar plans, (I mean why else move to Geneva, right ? ;) ). But would also like to know from people with experience in the neighborhood about what works and what doesn't.

jerven, Sep 9, 2008 @ 13:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Well the Geneva coach station does day tickets to quite a few ski resorts, where you get a package of coach and ski pass for the day, and the prices are quite interesting, also during the ski season quite a few people on here go skiing and have room in their car, so watch the forums. Well chamonix and verbier are nice but they are the most popular destinations and are almost always overcrowded.

I have a couple of favourite destinations that the tourist boards don't tell you about, but will not give the info out on a public forum ;)

In Geneva there are so many many options.

Simon
Well the Geneva coach station does day tickets to quite a few ski resorts, where you get a package of coach and ski pass for the day, and the prices are quite interesting, also during the ski season quite a few people on here go skiing and have room in their car, so watch the forums. Well chamonix and verbier are nice but they are the most popular destinations and are almost always overcrowded.

I have a couple of favourite destinations that the tourist boards don't tell you about, but will not give the info out on a public forum ;)

In Geneva there are so many many options.

Simon
DJ_Symcard, Sep 9, 2008 @ 15:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Many glocal members get together to ski nearly every weekend and Malawrite (Malcolm) organizes great trips with detailed instructions. Others do as well,

Look forward to seeing everyone on the slopes.

Many glocal members get together to ski nearly every weekend and Malawrite (Malcolm) organizes great trips with detailed instructions. Others do as well,

Look forward to seeing everyone on the slopes.
Karin E, Sep 9, 2008 @ 15:30

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Within a few weeks/months you'll notice a new forum will open on the site for Skiing which will specifically answer all your questions. The forum runs during the ski season enabling people to review resorts , hints and tips on hiring, and many other usual questions.
Within a few weeks/months you'll notice a new forum will open on the site for Skiing which will specifically answer all your questions. The forum runs during the ski season enabling people to review resorts , hints and tips on hiring, and many other usual questions.
britabroad, Sep 9, 2008 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Cool thanks, for the replies. I guess some people can't live with the lovely 26 degrees ;) and are just already looking forward to the snow season :P
Cool thanks, for the replies. I guess some people can't live with the lovely 26 degrees ;) and are just already looking forward to the snow season :P
jerven, Sep 9, 2008 @ 18:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
http://www.scig.ch/

Ski club International is a good option . . .good way to meet people also but you have to get up early !

Also http://www.skiski.ch/ . . . not very popular but maybe improving with time

cosmix
http://www.scig.ch/

Ski club International is a good option . . .good way to meet people also but you have to get up early !

Also http://www.skiski.ch/ . . . not very popular but maybe improving with time

cosmix
cosmixswiss, Nov 14, 2008 @ 21:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1752 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form