Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > Advice for skiing at -20 / -30c

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Advice for skiing at -20 / -30c

Hi all skiers and snowboarders,

Any good tip for going ski with temperatures  -20c / -30c top hill ?

Cheers, Gabriel

The text you are quoting:

Hi all skiers and snowboarders,

Any good tip for going ski with temperatures  -20c / -30c top hill ?

Cheers, Gabriel

gabriel bJan 31, 2012 @ 09:04
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

17 Replies | 1638 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Advice for skiing at -20 / -30c
Post 1

great tip thiago, btw...are you from iceland? haha

great tip thiago, btw...are you from iceland? haha

gabriel b, Jan 31, 2012 @ 09:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

make sure the outer layer is wind and water proof, then just layer up on the inside to keep warm. A hat is highly recommended as its said you lose most of your body heat through your head. A good pair of gloves will make a massive difference here too, apart from that, vin chaud should help if all of these don't help to keep you warm :) 

make sure the outer layer is wind and water proof, then just layer up on the inside to keep warm. A hat is highly recommended as its said you lose most of your body heat through your head. A good pair of gloves will make a massive difference here too, apart from that, vin chaud should help if all of these don't help to keep you warm :) 

G___, Jan 31, 2012 @ 09:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Generally, I would avoid going too high up in the mountains and avoid the places which may be exposed to the North wind that they announce for the end of this week. You can also privilege the resorts with cabins instead of charlifts or skilifts where you will be freezing quite quickly.

Good clothing is definitely recommended (for example, it is useful to cover the face with a mask). You might also think having some hot tea with you.

Generally, I would avoid going too high up in the mountains and avoid the places which may be exposed to the North wind that they announce for the end of this week. You can also privilege the resorts with cabins instead of charlifts or skilifts where you will be freezing quite quickly.

Good clothing is definitely recommended (for example, it is useful to cover the face with a mask). You might also think having some hot tea with you.

Per P, Jan 31, 2012 @ 09:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Don't.

Don't.

Edward B, Jan 31, 2012 @ 10:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

If you are in sustained -30 temps you should make sure you don't have any exposed skin otherwise you run the risk of frost bite.

If you are in sustained -30 temps you should make sure you don't have any exposed skin otherwise you run the risk of frost bite.

Joshua S, Jan 31, 2012 @ 10:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

You will want to make sure that your face is covered. Exposed skin will freeze and frostbite on the face is no fun.

If you have mitts, they will keep the hands warmer than gloves at those temps. You can also get those hand warmer pads that last up to 8 hours to put in the mitts.

You will want to make sure that your face is covered. Exposed skin will freeze and frostbite on the face is no fun.

If you have mitts, they will keep the hands warmer than gloves at those temps. You can also get those hand warmer pads that last up to 8 hours to put in the mitts.

Verbier, Jan 31, 2012 @ 10:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Much vin chaud.

Much vin chaud.

royle, Jan 31, 2012 @ 11:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thanks guys,

I was heading mainly to get a better understanding of "frostbite". 

I think that may be -20c is the upper limit to have a "nice skiing", the question I can not answer yet is, how much both skiing speed / sunny or cloudy impact on "Frostbite" threshold?

It is forcasted to be cloudy/snowing with temp between -20/30c at top hill...based on your advices it looks as a "no go"

Cheers, Gabriel

Thanks guys,

I think that may be -20c is the upper limit to have a "nice skiing", the question I can not answer yet is, how much both skiing speed / sunny or cloudy impact on "Frostbite" threshold?

It is forcasted to be cloudy/snowing with temp between -20/30c at top hill...based on your advices it looks as a "no go"

Cheers, Gabriel

gabriel b, Jan 31, 2012 @ 11:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I'd say its a mix between if you have the right gear that will block out the cold, how  crazy/enthusiastic you are about skiing, and how you normally do in cold weather. Personally if its so cold that its no longer fun, i head home or start the apres ski earlier :) 

I'd say its a mix between if you have the right gear that will block out the cold, how  crazy/enthusiastic you are about skiing, and how you normally do in cold weather. Personally if its so cold that its no longer fun, i head home or start the apres ski earlier :) 

G___, Jan 31, 2012 @ 11:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Vaseline will help prevent frostbite on your nose (if its not covered by a mask).

As said before, layers are important. try a thermal vest and leggings, followed layers on top of roll necks and fleeces after that, than a jacket.

Goggles instead of sunglasses.

common sense... you'll know pretty soon if its bearable...

Vaseline will help prevent frostbite on your nose (if its not covered by a mask).

As said before, layers are important. try a thermal vest and leggings, followed layers on top of roll necks and fleeces after that, than a jacket.

Goggles instead of sunglasses.

common sense... you'll know pretty soon if its bearable...

Charlie, Jan 31, 2012 @ 12:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Also consider snowshoeing rather than skiing, it's physical but more pleasant.

Also consider snowshoeing rather than skiing, it's physical but more pleasant.

catalin, Jan 31, 2012 @ 15:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I cannot better Bluto's advice.

I cannot better Bluto's advice.

Rohan, Jan 31, 2012 @ 16:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Thanks guys,

Cheers, Gabriel

Jan 31, 12 11:28

Look up "wind chill factor"..  and the latest techniques against frostbite and perhaps sign on to a REGA subscription ;)

I'd not go in -20/-30°C, in medium-strong wind (as is projected), skiing downhill, in difficult terrain.

"In den Bergen mässiger Nordostwind, im Mittelland mässige Bise."

Look up "wind chill factor"..  and the latest techniques against frostbite and perhaps sign on to a REGA subscription ;)

I'd not go in -20/-30°C, in medium-strong wind (as is projected), skiing downhill, in difficult terrain.

"In den Bergen mässiger Nordostwind, im Mittelland mässige Bise."

FerneyL, Jan 31, 2012 @ 16:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

There is always some bit of skin, and at below -20 C even the best fitted boots will let the cold in. Basically skiing at anything -20 and under is asking for trouble that is not worth getting into.

No matter how well dressed, its highly unlikely that you will enjoy the skiing.  You will be cold, its unavoidable.  In order to retain core temperature you will have to wear so many layers, that it might feel restricted and you will have to make frequent stops in the lodge to warm up (your feet in particular), and every time you do so, you will have to undresss, then get dressed again, and repeat again and again every 20 minutes or so.

You are best off by sleeping late, haveing an extra bloody mary during brunch, and relaxing all day.

There is always some bit of skin, and at below -20 C even the best fitted boots will let the cold in. Basically skiing at anything -20 and under is asking for trouble that is not worth getting into.

No matter how well dressed, its highly unlikely that you will enjoy the skiing.  You will be cold, its unavoidable.  In order to retain core temperature you will have to wear so many layers, that it might feel restricted and you will have to make frequent stops in the lodge to warm up (your feet in particular), and every time you do so, you will have to undresss, then get dressed again, and repeat again and again every 20 minutes or so.

You are best off by sleeping late, haveing an extra bloody mary during brunch, and relaxing all day.

Skirod333, Mar 15, 2012 @ 02:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Mar 15, 12 02:05

Your first post and we get... this?! I went skiing two times during that cold wave. My car was showing -21C in the parking at Grands Montets.It was just fine, I didn't even have to cover my face. Dude try it before predicting apocalypse.

Your first post and we get... this?! I went skiing two times during that cold wave. My car was showing -21C in the parking at Grands Montets.It was just fine, I didn't even have to cover my face. Dude try it before predicting apocalypse.

catalin, Mar 15, 2012 @ 09:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Exactly -20C is nothing.  I have been snowboarding in -30F in northern Minnesota and it was cold but I survived just fine...

Exactly -20C is nothing.  I have been snowboarding in -30F in northern Minnesota and it was cold but I survived just fine...

Joshua S, Mar 15, 2012 @ 09:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Around Montreal we used to get -20 as an average temperature in January, not counting the wind-chill factor. So basically just a couple of layers, mits, gogles, a scarf over your face and nose, one pair of decent ski socks, and you can ski all day.

Just know the tell-tale signs of frostbite - it will be the white dot on the end of your nose or ears.  Head in for some warmth.  For frozen fingers and feet - use cold water to defrost - not hot water. 

BTW, the colder it is, the better the quality of snow !!

Around Montreal we used to get -20 as an average temperature in January, not counting the wind-chill factor. So basically just a couple of layers, mits, gogles, a scarf over your face and nose, one pair of decent ski socks, and you can ski all day.

Just know the tell-tale signs of frostbite - it will be the white dot on the end of your nose or ears.  Head in for some warmth.  For frozen fingers and feet - use cold water to defrost - not hot water. 

BTW, the colder it is, the better the quality of snow !!

Poster, Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
17 Replies | 1638 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form