Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > Avalanche Gear in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Avalanche Gear in Geneva
Hello,

Anyone know where I can get avalanche gear in Geneva? Specifically beacon, probe, shovel, pack... I know plenty of places online, but I need to buy it this week

Cheers for any help,

Alan

The text you are quoting:
Hello,

Anyone know where I can get avalanche gear in Geneva? Specifically beacon, probe, shovel, pack... I know plenty of places online, but I need to buy it this week

Cheers for any help,

Alan
alanmackJan 26, 2009 @ 17:40

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 2990 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Avalanche Gear in Geneva
Post 1
Have a look at this page. Sure to find what you need at Passe Montagne or Hofstetter.

http://www.google.ch/search?hl=fr&cr=countryCH&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=magasin+du+sport+%2Bgeneve&spell=1

Third option is Ochsner Sport. Two stores in Geneva.

http://www.google.ch/search?hl=fr&q=ochsner+%2Bsport+%2Bgeneve&btnG=Rechercher&meta=cr%3DcountryCH
Have a look at this page. Sure to find what you need at Passe Montagne or Hofstetter.

http://www.google.ch/search?hl=fr&cr=countryCH&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=magasin+du+sport+%2Bgeneve&spell=1

Third option is Ochsner Sport. Two stores in Geneva.

http://www.google.ch/search?hl=fr&q=ochsner+%2Bsport+%2Bgeneve&btnG=Rechercher&meta=cr%3DcountryCH
Verbier, Jan 26, 2009 @ 19:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I would highly recommend an avalanche detector (DVA in French) that has THREE antennas.

Quicker to find the victim.

I have the Pulse Mammut Barryvox (CHF 500 -550) but I have heard that the Orthovox D3 (CHF 450?) is very easy to use as well.

Here is a comparison of the details of some of the major models done in 2007 (in French).

http://www.alpdidact.ch/docs/DVA_comparaison.pdf
I would highly recommend an avalanche detector (DVA in French) that has THREE antennas.

Quicker to find the victim.

I have the Pulse Mammut Barryvox (CHF 500 -550) but I have heard that the Orthovox D3 (CHF 450?) is very easy to use as well.

Here is a comparison of the details of some of the major models done in 2007 (in French).

http://www.alpdidact.ch/docs/DVA_comparaison.pdf
Verbier, Jan 26, 2009 @ 20:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
You can get anything you want from Cactus Sports in Geneva (022.300.3001) - they are near Carouge. They carry Barryvox, Tracker, Ortovox, Pieps and Arvas.

I took an avalanche course last year from Guide Source and they taught me how to use 4 different systems, and made sure we could find a buried beacon in under 2 minutes!

I found out that I prefer the new Mammut Barryvox (3 antennas plus its the only one with vital signs feedback), but you have to use different ones to see what works best for you - they all have oddities you have to get used to. Costs range from SF300-550. A great probe is the Black Diamond Super Tour or the Salewa Deep Powder, but you could write the Guide Source guides and ask them - they know it all.

Daniel

[quote]Hello,

Anyone know where I can get avalanche gear in Geneva? Specifically beacon, probe, shovel, pack... I know plenty of places online, butI need to buy it this week

Cheers for any help,

Alan[/quote]
You can get anything you want from Cactus Sports in Geneva (022.300.3001) - they are near Carouge. They carry Barryvox, Tracker, Ortovox, Pieps and Arvas.

I took an avalanche course last year from Guide Source and they taught me how to use 4 different systems, and made sure we could find a buried beacon in under 2 minutes!

I found out that I prefer the new Mammut Barryvox (3 antennas plus its the only one with vital signs feedback), but you have to use different ones to see what works best for you - they all have oddities you have to get used to. Costs range from SF300-550. A great probe is the Black Diamond Super Tour or the Salewa Deep Powder, but you could write the Guide Source guides and ask them - they know it all.

Daniel

[quote]Hello,

Anyone know where I can get avalanche gear in Geneva? Specifically beacon, probe, shovel, pack... I know plenty of places online, butI need to buy it this week

Cheers for any help,

Alan[/quote]
DanT, Jan 27, 2009 @ 12:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hi

As verbier said you have Passe Montagne (which I personal recommend) and there is also cactus sport in carouge.

I dont know what you know about beacons so thought to give you a minimal of information to pick the right beacon for you.

Many people think that digital is better then analog, and the more antenna also has to be better, and it is, but its only as good as the person using it.

A person who really know how a beacon works will be much faster then any user who hasn't trained, even if he has an digital tri-antenna device.

So first, whats the different between a digital and a analog beacon, they actually use the same analog signal (so no digital signal as many think)

,but an digital beacon uses two or more antennas to detect the signal, and then combine these analog signals into an directing and distance.

This makes the device much more easy to use. So first advice, get at least a digital two antenna beacon.

Why is this then usefully, when the beacon sends out the electromagnetic field its not uniform, light from a lamp is transmitted around itself in circles,

but the electromagnetic field is transmitted non-uniform with what is called an flux line, http://www.telemarkski.com/images/FluxLine.gif

When you start to search with the beacon it will receive the signal from the beacon and detect the strength of the signal. If you use an one-antenna device

it will give you the direction to the strongest signal, and if you look at the image this will be towards the flux signal, not towards the victem. When

you detect the flux line, you turn to something called a flux line search, where you use the signal strength to find the point with the strongest

signal, and there should your friend be.

If you instead use an digital (multi-device antenna) it will use 2D and 3D "image" of the magnetic field and therefor be able to calculate where

the victim is located under the snow, not the flux line.

To sum up, Analog beacons will point you to the flux line, and you then have to find the point with the strongest signal. An digital beacon will say

15 meters in a direction.

But remember, analog or digital don't really mater, you have to learn how to use the device and practise at least a couple of times every year.

Something that many peopel overlook is the probe and the shovel, the beacon is so much cooler to buy ;) but don't get a to short probe, get one which is at least 2.6 m and ruboust. And DO NOT buy a plastic shovel, you will only break the blade when you

dig out your buddy, avalanche snow is hard an compact, its just stupidity to save weight here ( have a wee in the morning and you save more ;)

Also it can be really good to get an AVAlung, it gives your buddies that extra time pocket to find you and dig you out, http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/avalung_ii.php

its a really cheep life insurance. ABS rucksacks works but they are much more expensive.

Also an avalanche course is highly recommended to learn who to perform the search and rescue.

Personal i like the Pieps DSP, G3 Speed Pro Probe 3.20 m, Black diamond Transfer shovel

and for the beacon and probe I hope that you never have to use them

cheers
Hi

As verbier said you have Passe Montagne (which I personal recommend) and there is also cactus sport in carouge.

I dont know what you know about beacons so thought to give you a minimal of information to pick the right beacon for you.

Many people think that digital is better then analog, and the more antenna also has to be better, and it is, but its only as good as the person using it.

A person who really know how a beacon works will be much faster then any user who hasn't trained, even if he has an digital tri-antenna device.

So first, whats the different between a digital and a analog beacon, they actually use the same analog signal (so no digital signal as many think)

,but an digital beacon uses two or more antennas to detect the signal, and then combine these analog signals into an directing and distance.

This makes the device much more easy to use. So first advice, get at least a digital two antenna beacon.

Why is this then usefully, when the beacon sends out the electromagnetic field its not uniform, light from a lamp is transmitted around itself in circles,

but the electromagnetic field is transmitted non-uniform with what is called an flux line, http://www.telemarkski.com/images/FluxLine.gif

When you start to search with the beacon it will receive the signal from the beacon and detect the strength of the signal. If you use an one-antenna device

it will give you the direction to the strongest signal, and if you look at the image this will be towards the flux signal, not towards the victem. When

you detect the flux line, you turn to something called a flux line search, where you use the signal strength to find the point with the strongest

signal, and there should your friend be.

If you instead use an digital (multi-device antenna) it will use 2D and 3D "image" of the magnetic field and therefor be able to calculate where

the victim is located under the snow, not the flux line.

To sum up, Analog beacons will point you to the flux line, and you then have to find the point with the strongest signal. An digital beacon will say

15 meters in a direction.

But remember, analog or digital don't really mater, you have to learn how to use the device and practise at least a couple of times every year.

Something that many peopel overlook is the probe and the shovel, the beacon is so much cooler to buy ;) but don't get a to short probe, get one which is at least 2.6 m and ruboust. And DO NOT buy a plastic shovel, you will only break the blade when you

dig out your buddy, avalanche snow is hard an compact, its just stupidity to save weight here ( have a wee in the morning and you save more ;)

Also it can be really good to get an AVAlung, it gives your buddies that extra time pocket to find you and dig you out, http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/avalung_ii.php

its a really cheep life insurance. ABS rucksacks works but they are much more expensive.

Also an avalanche course is highly recommended to learn who to perform the search and rescue.

Personal i like the Pieps DSP, G3 Speed Pro Probe 3.20 m, Black diamond Transfer shovel

and for the beacon and probe I hope that you never have to use them

cheers
sandholm, Jan 27, 2009 @ 12:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I'd like to add a vote for Cactus in Carouge - they are super friendly, have a good stock especially now they've opened a second shop two doors down from the old one, and they often seem to give us a small discount without asking!

The address is Rue du Pont Neuf 6.
I'd like to add a vote for Cactus in Carouge - they are super friendly, have a good stock especially now they've opened a second shop two doors down from the old one, and they often seem to give us a small discount without asking!

The address is Rue du Pont Neuf 6.
GenevaRower, Jan 28, 2009 @ 10:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
[quote]I'd like to add a vote for Cactus in Carouge - they are super friendly, have a good stock especially now they've opened a second shop two doors down from the old one, and they often seem to give us a small discount without asking!

The address is Rue du Pont Neuf 6.[/quote]

Hi

That remeinded me of one thing, Passe Montagne gives 10% discount if you are a memeber of the swiss alpine club (if you ski/climb/mountenering its a really good deal and you get so much more for free/discount) The swiss alpine club also have tons of courses and outings.

And there is really nice people there

http://www.sac-cas.ch/

cheers
[quote]I'd like to add a vote for Cactus in Carouge - they are super friendly, have a good stock especially now they've opened a second shop two doors down from the old one, and they often seem to give us a small discount without asking!

The address is Rue du Pont Neuf 6.[/quote]

Hi

That remeinded me of one thing, Passe Montagne gives 10% discount if you are a memeber of the swiss alpine club (if you ski/climb/mountenering its a really good deal and you get so much more for free/discount) The swiss alpine club also have tons of courses and outings.

And there is really nice people there

http://www.sac-cas.ch/

cheers
sandholm, Jan 28, 2009 @ 10:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 2990 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form