Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > Cross country skiing - skating vs classic

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Cross country skiing - skating vs classic

Hello! Got a question for experienced cross country skiiers. I have done classic XC skiing and I love it, but I am looking forward trying skating. I've been told that it is very difficult, and it's been hard to find a school to get some lessons. 

Does anyone have an opinion on this? any preferences?

The text you are quoting:

Hello! Got a question for experienced cross country skiiers. I have done classic XC skiing and I love it, but I am looking forward trying skating. I've been told that it is very difficult, and it's been hard to find a school to get some lessons. 

Does anyone have an opinion on this? any preferences?

Abel RSep 5, 2019 @ 19:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1334 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Cross country skiing - skating vs classic
Post 1

It is much more difficult. 

It is much more difficult. 

Peter Andrew V, Sep 7, 2019 @ 19:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I've done both type of ski de fond lessons in La Vattay, 40 minutes from Geneva.

Skating is more difficult, that's for sure. 

I've done both type of ski de fond lessons in La Vattay, 40 minutes from Geneva.

Skating is more difficult, that's for sure. 

geojusto, Sep 9, 2019 @ 11:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I haven’t done it personally, but you could get in touch with these people  to see when they will be doing this next season

http://www.scig.ch/wp-content/uploads/20190302_PlateauGlieres.pdf
https://www.gbnordique.fr/welcome/

There’s also the International Ski School that is not far away at La Faucille and otherwise  present in many stations in France and Switzerand    https://www.ecoledeski.fr/en/school

Or if you search on the Ecole de Ski Francaise site they teach it in quite a few places in the Haute Savoie. 

Or ask the Ecole Suisse de Ski in whatever ski staton in Switzerland you fancy. 

I haven’t done it personally, but you could get in touch with these people  to see when they will be doing this next season

http://www.scig.ch/wp-content/uploads/20190302_PlateauGlieres.pdf
https://www.gbnordique.fr/welcome/

There’s also the International Ski School that is not far away at La Faucille and otherwise  present in many stations in France and Switzerand    https://www.ecoledeski.fr/en/school

Or if you search on the Ecole de Ski Francaise site they teach it in quite a few places in the Haute Savoie. 

Or ask the Ecole Suisse de Ski in whatever ski staton in Switzerland you fancy. 

TogJay, Sep 9, 2019 @ 14:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I am a very experienced alpine skier - and my partner prefers XC.

My first season, I started with skating, then moved to classic, and then back and forth between the 2.

I did not find much difference in difficultly.   In most snow condtions I prefer skating.   In deep fresh snow, I prefer XC.  Everywhere I have been, the rental shops and schools support both.

I am a very experienced alpine skier - and my partner prefers XC.

My first season, I started with skating, then moved to classic, and then back and forth between the 2.

I did not find much difference in difficultly.   In most snow condtions I prefer skating.   In deep fresh snow, I prefer XC.  Everywhere I have been, the rental shops and schools support both.

m petersen, Oct 9, 2019 @ 13:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

The difficulty depends on your experience of sports; if you've done sports that involve balance, you shouldn't find it too difficult.

For example, I already skate my alpine skis a lot to get around the mountains (when it's flat or you need to move uphill a short way), so transitioning to 'skate' XC I found to be easy. If you roller skate, or have ice skated, you'll also find it a lot easier than most people. I slackline too, they all complement each other. If you can relate to any of this, you'll be fine.

It does involve more technique than you expect though, so it is worth getting lessons to avoid bedding in bad habits. Also, look out for SNS bindings (with two bars) which I'm reliably told are the best. I found it very hard to find information out online about it.

Have fun, it's a fantastic sport! It also makes you a much better alpine skier.

The difficulty depends on your experience of sports; if you've done sports that involve balance, you shouldn't find it too difficult.

For example, I already skate my alpine skis a lot to get around the mountains (when it's flat or you need to move uphill a short way), so transitioning to 'skate' XC I found to be easy. If you roller skate, or have ice skated, you'll also find it a lot easier than most people. I slackline too, they all complement each other. If you can relate to any of this, you'll be fine.

It does involve more technique than you expect though, so it is worth getting lessons to avoid bedding in bad habits. Also, look out for SNS bindings (with two bars) which I'm reliably told are the best. I found it very hard to find information out online about it.

Have fun, it's a fantastic sport! It also makes you a much better alpine skier.

James M, Oct 15, 2019 @ 18:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1334 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form