Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > Geneva winter weekends... which ski resorts?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Geneva winter weekends... which ski resorts?
I'm looking around, thinking about picking up a season pass for one of the resorts near Geneva for my ski weekends this winter, but since I'm new to Geneva I don't know where people usually go!  I want a place that's easily accessible, either by car, train or shuttle bus, that will fit my snowboarding level.

So I ask my fellow glocalers:
Where do YOU go snowboarding?
Which are the mountains/resorts within 3 hours of Geneva that are good for Advanced to Upper Advanced-level snowboarding? 
Are there multi-mountain season passes - like the Mont Blanc Unlimited Pass - that I shoud consider?
What's the norm of "getting there"?  Carpool?  Mountain shuttle? Train?

Is winter here yet? :-)

The text you are quoting:
I'm looking around, thinking about picking up a season pass for one of the resorts near Geneva for my ski weekends this winter, but since I'm new to Geneva I don't know where people usually go!  I want a place that's easily accessible, either by car, train or shuttle bus, that will fit my snowboarding level.

So I ask my fellow glocalers:
Where do YOU go snowboarding?
Which are the mountains/resorts within 3 hours of Geneva that are good for Advanced to Upper Advanced-level snowboarding? 
Are there multi-mountain season passes - like the Mont Blanc Unlimited Pass - that I shoud consider?
What's the norm of "getting there"?  Carpool?  Mountain shuttle? Train?

Is winter here yet? :-)

TheMoneyOct 19, 2009 @ 13:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 3067 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Geneva winter weekends... which ski resorts?
Post 1
Ski passes in CH can run around chf1000 to 1300 or I've even seen worse.  I think the rule of thumb is that if your going to ski one place more than 20 times, you get the pass.

Now, that said.  IF your new, there is no way your should restrict yourself to just  ONE ski place.  The only reason to do that would be if you had a weekend place in the mtns.  There is just way too many good places to ski and explore!!   So many places just within a 3 hour trip by rail.

Moving on to the transport bit.  If your carless.  Snow N' Rail is the way to go thanks to train network SBB.  IT's a combined roundtrip rail ticket AND lift pass for a reduced price up to 30% off.  To put it a bit into perspective.   Verbier ski n' rail is just 63 francs from Geneva.  A lift pass alone last year was chf 60 and rail at 46.  Zermatt, which you cannot drive all the way to anyway is chf125.  Rail pass alone is 80 roundtrip normally, and I THINK the lift pass was 65. 

You get the idea.  And it's available for tons of places in CH.  The little booklets with prices and such will be availabe in rail stations soon listing all the places.  Good  things to know is the prices are not available online.  Only at the ticket machines.  You can buy them in advance  just specify the day of use.  Also, the return ticket rail pass is valid for 3 days after trip up.  So you can stay the weekend.  (although truth be told I have used it 4 or 5 days later and never had a problem).  If you know you want to ski more than 1 day, you can add another day onto the pass at a significantly reduced cost.  And lastly,  just so you don't do what my friends did last year.  The train ticket prints first.  THEN the rail pass voucher prints after.  They are different!   I've had one friend not grab her ski pass from the machine, and one turn in her train pass instead of a ski voucher on accident.  She had to pay again for her train home.

Hope this helps!
Ski passes in CH can run around chf1000 to 1300 or I've even seen worse.  I think the rule of thumb is that if your going to ski one place more than 20 times, you get the pass.

Now, that said.  IF your new, there is no way your should restrict yourself to just  ONE ski place.  The only reason to do that would be if you had a weekend place in the mtns.  There is just way too many good places to ski and explore!!   So many places just within a 3 hour trip by rail.

Moving on to the transport bit.  If your carless.  Snow N' Rail is the way to go thanks to train network SBB.  IT's a combined roundtrip rail ticket AND lift pass for a reduced price up to 30% off.  To put it a bit into perspective.   Verbier ski n' rail is just 63 francs from Geneva.  A lift pass alone last year was chf 60 and rail at 46.  Zermatt, which you cannot drive all the way to anyway is chf125.  Rail pass alone is 80 roundtrip normally, and I THINK the lift pass was 65. 

You get the idea.  And it's available for tons of places in CH.  The little booklets with prices and such will be availabe in rail stations soon listing all the places.  Good  things to know is the prices are not available online.  Only at the ticket machines.  You can buy them in advance  just specify the day of use.  Also, the return ticket rail pass is valid for 3 days after trip up.  So you can stay the weekend.  (although truth be told I have used it 4 or 5 days later and never had a problem).  If you know you want to ski more than 1 day, you can add another day onto the pass at a significantly reduced cost.  And lastly,  just so you don't do what my friends did last year.  The train ticket prints first.  THEN the rail pass voucher prints after.  They are different!   I've had one friend not grab her ski pass from the machine, and one turn in her train pass instead of a ski voucher on accident.  She had to pay again for her train home.

Hope this helps!

LaurenM, Oct 19, 2009 @ 17:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Oh, and you need a demi tarriff or halb tax to get the snow and rail!
Oh, and you need a demi tarriff or halb tax to get the snow and rail!

LaurenM, Oct 19, 2009 @ 17:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Thanks Lauren - that was such a brilliant piece of information and answered all the questions I had to ask as well (partic. the snow 'n' rail pass).  Thanks!! :-)
Thanks Lauren - that was such a brilliant piece of information and answered all the questions I had to ask as well (partic. the snow 'n' rail pass).  Thanks!! :-)

Carolyn C, Oct 19, 2009 @ 18:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hey thanks for the info Lauren - snow n rail sounds great!

Is is just me, or is it really hard to find information online in Switzerland? I'm so used to just googling things, but here it seems you have to call, or often actually go somewhere in person to find things out.

And in reply to the original post, it certainly feels like winter's arrived! And not to make you jealous or anything, but I am taking the train across to Austria on Saturday for a 7 day ski course on the glacier... Tis the season! :o)
Hey thanks for the info Lauren - snow n rail sounds great!

Is is just me, or is it really hard to find information online in Switzerland? I'm so used to just googling things, but here it seems you have to call, or often actually go somewhere in person to find things out.

And in reply to the original post, it certainly feels like winter's arrived! And not to make you jealous or anything, but I am taking the train across to Austria on Saturday for a 7 day ski course on the glacier... Tis the season! :o)

Kirsty F, Oct 20, 2009 @ 00:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
LaurenM, I agree with Carolyn - loads of info I never knew.. sounds like I'll be doing Snow N Rail quite often then, as I've already got my demi tariff.

Kirsty, have a blast in Austria!  Myself, I'm off to Les 2 Alpes for the Rock on Snowboard promo day this weekend :D
LaurenM, I agree with Carolyn - loads of info I never knew.. sounds like I'll be doing Snow N Rail quite often then, as I've already got my demi tariff.

Kirsty, have a blast in Austria!  Myself, I'm off to Les 2 Alpes for the Rock on Snowboard promo day this weekend :D

TheMoney, Oct 20, 2009 @ 11:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
For those who are carless, or prefer skiing with a crowd, the international ski club can be an interesting option. The organise outing with rented busses. They also have courses.  www.scig.ch
For those who are carless, or prefer skiing with a crowd, the international ski club can be an interesting option. The organise outing with rented busses. They also have courses.  www.scig.ch
tawb, Oct 20, 2009 @ 12:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

If you are looking for advanced to upper advance skiing/snowboarding, my bias opinion will tell you to head toward Chamonix.

Look into the Unlimited Mont Blanc pass, as you mentioned, (this is what i get). It gives you the whole Chamonix valley, Courmayeur and access to Verbier's 4 valleys. I think if you get it before November 30th, it'll be €750 for the season. It also gives a discount for going through the Mont Blanc Tunnel to get to Courmayeur, which is otherwise rather expensive.

Whats great is Chamonix is a short hour away (add 30min for Courmayeur) and Verbier is just under 2 hours. One pass - 3 countries!

I think that pass will give you enough 'on piste' fun for at least a season. If you do all the above mountains with an 'hors-piste' agenda, one season will barely scratch the surface.

Can't comment on transportation. I will be driving to the chamonix valley almost every weekend, so if you need a ride up there, shoot me a message, chances are that i will be heading there every Friday afternoon.

If you are looking for advanced to upper advance skiing/snowboarding, my bias opinion will tell you to head toward Chamonix.

Look into the Unlimited Mont Blanc pass, as you mentioned, (this is what i get). It gives you the whole Chamonix valley, Courmayeur and access to Verbier's 4 valleys. I think if you get it before November 30th, it'll be €750 for the season. It also gives a discount for going through the Mont Blanc Tunnel to get to Courmayeur, which is otherwise rather expensive.

Whats great is Chamonix is a short hour away (add 30min for Courmayeur) and Verbier is just under 2 hours. One pass - 3 countries!

I think that pass will give you enough 'on piste' fun for at least a season. If you do all the above mountains with an 'hors-piste' agenda, one season will barely scratch the surface.

Can't comment on transportation. I will be driving to the chamonix valley almost every weekend, so if you need a ride up there, shoot me a message, chances are that i will be heading there every Friday afternoon.

Yann Rousset, Oct 20, 2009 @ 14:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

hello, if you're interested I rented an apartment for the season in Chamonix, because I could not go this year. The apartment is next to the departure of aiguille du midi.
IF you're interested tell me.

hello, if you're interested I rented an apartment for the season in Chamonix, because I could not go this year. The apartment is next to the departure of aiguille du midi.
IF you're interested tell me.

laura Vellella, Dec 8, 2009 @ 17:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 3067 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form