Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > Ski chalet advice

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Ski chalet advice

Hello ski-buffs!

I'm looking to pick your brains.....I am searching for accommodation for a chalet for 10-12 people for a weekend next Feb. To be honest our main concern is money so we're looking for the most cost-effective. We don't need central as will have cars so a few kms away from a good ski resort is fine.

Biggest problems so far: most chalets only take week-long bookings in peak ski season so cost is sky high. Plus, most of the advertised chalets are in central locations (so, cost higher). Pity there's no www.chaletsinthemiddleofnowheresocheaper.com....!

Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot,

Rachel

The text you are quoting:

Hello ski-buffs!

I'm looking to pick your brains.....I am searching for accommodation for a chalet for 10-12 people for a weekend next Feb. To be honest our main concern is money so we're looking for the most cost-effective. We don't need central as will have cars so a few kms away from a good ski resort is fine.

Biggest problems so far: most chalets only take week-long bookings in peak ski season so cost is sky high. Plus, most of the advertised chalets are in central locations (so, cost higher). Pity there's no www.chaletsinthemiddleofnowheresocheaper.com....!

Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot,

Rachel

Rachel WMay 18, 2013 @ 13:59
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1596 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Ski chalet advice
Post 1

Hi Rachel - what is your budget? A ski chalet betweeb 10-12 can be very cost effective as you pay for the chalet as a whole, and not per person usually. Some chalets will rent for a long weekend - but usually for a minimum of 4 nights because of the running costs to get it ready and clean it after.  I have a chalet in Verchaix, it sleeps 8-10 so may be too small for your needs, but I would be happy to email you the details. You will also find it in the classifieds here if you search under Verchaix. It is called Chalet Bellevue. Thx, Siany

Hi Rachel - what is your budget? A ski chalet betweeb 10-12 can be very cost effective as you pay for the chalet as a whole, and not per person usually. Some chalets will rent for a long weekend - but usually for a minimum of 4 nights because of the running costs to get it ready and clean it after.  I have a chalet in Verchaix, it sleeps 8-10 so may be too small for your needs, but I would be happy to email you the details. You will also find it in the classifieds here if you search under Verchaix. It is called Chalet Bellevue. Thx, Siany

Siany, May 18, 2013 @ 17:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Rachel

I have a chalet in Grimentz but you are right that people don't take weekend bookings in most of Switzerland because it cuts into what would be 2 weeks.

So my advice is to:

1 change tactic and book into a small hotel (I can recommend ones in Val d'Annviers). January is better than February as the higher the season the less likely the hotel is to take the booking. Howver, even in february, hotels in places like Vissoie (at the foot of the valley) will likely take a short booking, particularly if for  a big group

2 look in France, particularly Chamonix as they are geared up to weekend trafic (I used to do a lot of offpiste weekends there

3 lastly, try sites like groups.ch (I am not connected to it) as you can often find places which take bigger groups and where there may be more flexibility or where if for example you did Saturday to Tuesday you could afford to leave early because the rate is low.

Good luck

Rachel

I have a chalet in Grimentz but you are right that people don't take weekend bookings in most of Switzerland because it cuts into what would be 2 weeks.

So my advice is to:

1 change tactic and book into a small hotel (I can recommend ones in Val d'Annviers). January is better than February as the higher the season the less likely the hotel is to take the booking. Howver, even in february, hotels in places like Vissoie (at the foot of the valley) will likely take a short booking, particularly if for  a big group

2 look in France, particularly Chamonix as they are geared up to weekend trafic (I used to do a lot of offpiste weekends there

3 lastly, try sites like groups.ch (I am not connected to it) as you can often find places which take bigger groups and where there may be more flexibility or where if for example you did Saturday to Tuesday you could afford to leave early because the rate is low.

Good luck

Chris B, May 21, 2013 @ 09:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hello ski-buffs!

Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot,

Rachel

May 18, 13 13:59

Just make more money. It could be this year's resolution.

Just make more money. It could be this year's resolution.

catalin, May 21, 2013 @ 12:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

www.chalet-victoria.com

www.chalet-victoria.com

Charlie, May 21, 2013 @ 15:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hello, i have a chalet for 10 (couch in the living room for 2 more) in la Tzoumaz: you ski on Verbier but don't have the costs. In february there are holydays, so you can't book it for a week end except in last minute or you can try january?

Kaki

Hello, i have a chalet for 10 (couch in the living room for 2 more) in la Tzoumaz: you ski on Verbier but don't have the costs. In february there are holydays, so you can't book it for a week end except in last minute or you can try january?

Kaki

kaki a, May 23, 2013 @ 17:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1596 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form