Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > Ski lessons for Beginners and Resort recommendation

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Ski lessons for Beginners and Resort recommendation

Hi,

This weekend I had a 2 hour lesson with instructor for me and my husband in Champery, which costed 170 fr. It wasn't the best experience, as the place for complete beginners was very small and you had to walk for quite long to get there. So I am looking for other places to try.

So far I have learned that Les Paccot and Leysin are good places for beginners. Do you have other recommendations? Also if there is anybody who would like to join for a group lesson we could gather a group.

Thanks!

Anna

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

This weekend I had a 2 hour lesson with instructor for me and my husband in Champery, which costed 170 fr. It wasn't the best experience, as the place for complete beginners was very small and you had to walk for quite long to get there. So I am looking for other places to try.

So far I have learned that Les Paccot and Leysin are good places for beginners. Do you have other recommendations? Also if there is anybody who would like to join for a group lesson we could gather a group.

Thanks!

Anna

Anna GJan 25, 2016 @ 11:12
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 3309 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Ski lessons for Beginners and Resort recommendation
Post 1

St-Cergue is a good place for beginners as well! :-)

St-Cergue is a good place for beginners as well! :-)

Sinan, Jan 25, 2016 @ 11:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi,

Thanks!

Anna

Jan 25, 16 11:12

Hi Anna - glad you found your ski gear!  

No, Champery is not the best for beginners, either is Morgins or Les Crosets in the same area.  Leysin isn't great either as the only wide, open pistes are quite steep so you end up on boring, blue paths that aren't wide enough to turn, and idiots whizzing past you at 100kms, if the resort's busy.  You're better going to the easier, sister resort of Les Mosses.

Les Paccots is great for beginners - BUT tiring as there are no chair lifts so you have to master getting on a button lift (assiette) pretty damn quick!  

It's also quite low, so you need good snow but has wide, gentle slopes, perfect for teaching.

Villars is excellent for beginners - wide open slopes and easy chair lifts and no T-Bars until you go over to Les Diablerets.  It's ski school also has a very good reputation.

People will disagree but Verbier actually has some good beginners slopes, but the cost of the lift pass doesn't always make it a sensible choice.  You could also try Bruson - which is Verbier's baby sister (same car park, different cable car).  A friend of mine learnt there and recommends it.

But Villars should be your first choice (IMHO as an ex instructor) or any of the small Jura resorts (like Sinan says, St Cergue, La Dole etc etc) as you won't waste a fortune in lift passes.

Enjoy and keep up the lessons for at least 8 weeks of skiing - it will pay huge dividends later on.  Cool

No, Champery is not the best for beginners, either is Morgins or Les Crosets in the same area.  Leysin isn't great either as the only wide, open pistes are quite steep so you end up on boring, blue paths that aren't wide enough to turn, and idiots whizzing past you at 100kms, if the resort's busy.  You're better going to the easier, sister resort of Les Mosses.

Les Paccots is great for beginners - BUT tiring as there are no chair lifts so you have to master getting on a button lift (assiette) pretty damn quick!  

It's also quite low, so you need good snow but has wide, gentle slopes, perfect for teaching.

Villars is excellent for beginners - wide open slopes and easy chair lifts and no T-Bars until you go over to Les Diablerets.  It's ski school also has a very good reputation.

People will disagree but Verbier actually has some good beginners slopes, but the cost of the lift pass doesn't always make it a sensible choice.  You could also try Bruson - which is Verbier's baby sister (same car park, different cable car).  A friend of mine learnt there and recommends it.

But Villars should be your first choice (IMHO as an ex instructor) or any of the small Jura resorts (like Sinan says, St Cergue, La Dole etc etc) as you won't waste a fortune in lift passes.

Enjoy and keep up the lessons for at least 8 weeks of skiing - it will pay huge dividends later on.  Cool

Carolyn C, Jan 25, 2016 @ 20:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Jan 25, 16 20:57

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you so much for the great advice!!! So I should lookup for Villars-sur-Ollon, correct?  I am checking this Snow'n' Rail option on sbb  https://leisure.sbb.ch/selection/package?productId=517722868 

I guess I will check Les - Paccots when it snows again :) Looks like indeed it's a good area.

For me it will be important to have easy access to Beginners area. Because in Champery it was far with no lifts, we were os tired. 

Cheers,

Anna

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you so much for the great advice!!! So I should lookup for Villars-sur-Ollon, correct?  I am checking this Snow'n' Rail option on sbb  https://leisure.sbb.ch/selection/package?productId=517722868 

I guess I will check Les - Paccots when it snows again :) Looks like indeed it's a good area.

For me it will be important to have easy access to Beginners area. Because in Champery it was far with no lifts, we were os tired. 

Cheers,

Anna

Anna G, Jan 26, 2016 @ 10:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Carolyn,

Cheers,

Anna

Jan 26, 16 10:18

Yes, Villars sur Ollon - you get the train to Aigle, then the connecting bus (Number 144 - don't take the option that goes via Bex - it's an hour longer and less frequent trains).

The bus drops you in the village, where you can either get a ski bus (Navette) that takes you to the Roc d'Orsay cable car (5 mins), where you can ski down to Bretaye, or you can get the cute mountain train that goes up to Bretaye (this is the central meeting point for everyone, including ski school).

The train from the village takes about 30 minutes longer as it a chugga-chugga-choo-choo, but it's quite nice to do.  

Google map-it and you'll see it's not as complicated as it sounds - and definitely easier than Champery!!

Yes, Villars sur Ollon - you get the train to Aigle, then the connecting bus (Number 144 - don't take the option that goes via Bex - it's an hour longer and less frequent trains).

The bus drops you in the village, where you can either get a ski bus (Navette) that takes you to the Roc d'Orsay cable car (5 mins), where you can ski down to Bretaye, or you can get the cute mountain train that goes up to Bretaye (this is the central meeting point for everyone, including ski school).

The train from the village takes about 30 minutes longer as it a chugga-chugga-choo-choo, but it's quite nice to do.  

Google map-it and you'll see it's not as complicated as it sounds - and definitely easier than Champery!!

Carolyn C, Jan 26, 2016 @ 14:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Anna, 

go to Sommand (if you have a car) -- a small family resort at 50' minutes drive from Geneva, with easy access (car gets you directly to the slopes), many easy green and blue tracks and a tapis roulant for beginners, beautiful scenery, and good snow due to 1400-2000 mt elevation and facing north. The ski pass is 20E on saturdays and 25E on Sundays. I have tried a number of places in the area and you can't get much better than that for beginners. Both my kids (3 and 6 years old) have learned to ski there with local ESF instructors. Check this out http://www.skipass.com/commentaires/praz-de-lys-sommand.html

-D.

Anna, 

go to Sommand (if you have a car) -- a small family resort at 50' minutes drive from Geneva, with easy access (car gets you directly to the slopes), many easy green and blue tracks and a tapis roulant for beginners, beautiful scenery, and good snow due to 1400-2000 mt elevation and facing north. The ski pass is 20E on saturdays and 25E on Sundays. I have tried a number of places in the area and you can't get much better than that for beginners. Both my kids (3 and 6 years old) have learned to ski there with local ESF instructors. Check this out http://www.skipass.com/commentaires/praz-de-lys-sommand.html

-D.

Diego T, Jan 26, 2016 @ 15:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Sorry: now realize you're in lausanne -- did not look carefully enough.. 

Sorry: now realize you're in lausanne -- did not look carefully enough.. 

Diego T, Jan 26, 2016 @ 15:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

If you don't mind learning in France, Flaine is a good place. Absolute beginners in the debutant area don't pay for a ski pass and if you are feeling confident you can buy points at EUR2.00 for each lift ride. I organise cost-effective beginner ski events including lessons. And I have had people from Lausanne join in too. Get in touch if that's up your street! Happy skiing :)

If you don't mind learning in France, Flaine is a good place. Absolute beginners in the debutant area don't pay for a ski pass and if you are feeling confident you can buy points at EUR2.00 for each lift ride. I organise cost-effective beginner ski events including lessons. And I have had people from Lausanne join in too. Get in touch if that's up your street! Happy skiing :)

Janet G, Jan 26, 2016 @ 18:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Janet,

How could we join you? Going from Geneve with public transportations?

thanks

Hi Janet,

How could we join you? Going from Geneve with public transportations?

thanks

val gar, Jan 26, 2016 @ 20:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Jan 26, 16 18:02

Hi Janet,

Actually we have decided to go to Chatel this weekend. I would love to join your group for the next weeks. Is there group or thread I should subscribe to?

Hi Janet,

Actually we have decided to go to Chatel this weekend. I would love to join your group for the next weeks. Is there group or thread I should subscribe to?

Anna G, Jan 27, 2016 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi Janet,

Why don't you join the International Skiclub of Geneva.

Loads of nice expats, classes for every level, various locations, bus transport... Let me know if you need details:

http://www.scig.ch/en/alpine-skiing-snowboarding/

Hi Janet,

Loads of nice expats, classes for every level, various locations, bus transport... Let me know if you need details:

rena, Jan 27, 2016 @ 13:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi Janet,

Jan 27, 16 12:28

Hi Anna! Feel free to join the beginners ski group on here and watch out for invites. Night ski at St Cerge to start soon on Thursdays soon!

http://www.glocals.com/groups/geneva/geneva-beginners-ski-group.htm

Hi Anna! Feel free to join the beginners ski group on here and watch out for invites. Night ski at St Cerge to start soon on Thursdays soon!

http://www.glocals.com/groups/geneva/geneva-beginners-ski-group.htm

Janet G, Jan 27, 2016 @ 13:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi Janet,

Jan 27, 16 13:34

Thanks Rena, for the invite/info!

Thanks Rena, for the invite/info!

Janet G, Jan 27, 2016 @ 14:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 3309 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form