Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > Ski schools for children

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Ski schools for children

My daughter turned three this September. I am looking for the best ski resort, preferably close to Geneva, where she can be taught how to ski. I want her to have a good, fun and stimulating experience, so she will catch the bug. If none of those close by have good instruction for children, I will go farther out during the holidays.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

The text you are quoting:

My daughter turned three this September. I am looking for the best ski resort, preferably close to Geneva, where she can be taught how to ski. I want her to have a good, fun and stimulating experience, so she will catch the bug. If none of those close by have good instruction for children, I will go farther out during the holidays.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

JR MDec 3, 2012 @ 17:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 2143 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Ski schools for children
Post 1

Hi,

Both my children learned at Flims/Laax and now as teens they concentrate on Davos. If this info helps...

Hi,

Both my children learned at Flims/Laax and now as teens they concentrate on Davos. If this info helps...

Ann D, Dec 3, 2012 @ 17:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Chamonix has some nice places, equally so in Portes du Sol...and Nendaz / Verbier.

(mine learnt in Nendaz, (1hr 40 mins from Geneva) where there is a good flat part and rolling carpet. They also have Creche facilities so if the kids get cold they take them inside. Chamonix is also good (45 mins from Geneva), and it means you can ski some reasonable slopes as the kids are in lessons.)

On Sundays if the snow is very good you can take them just up by Crozet. (20 mins max from Geneva) There is a school there as well I think, but no rolling carpets.

Chamonix has some nice places, equally so in Portes du Sol...and Nendaz / Verbier.

(mine learnt in Nendaz, (1hr 40 mins from Geneva) where there is a good flat part and rolling carpet. They also have Creche facilities so if the kids get cold they take them inside. Chamonix is also good (45 mins from Geneva), and it means you can ski some reasonable slopes as the kids are in lessons.)

On Sundays if the snow is very good you can take them just up by Crozet. (20 mins max from Geneva) There is a school there as well I think, but no rolling carpets.

Charlie, Dec 3, 2012 @ 17:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

For weekends, the nearest to Geneva and fine for kids are the Monts Jura resorts. Crozet is 20 mins from Geneva - you park this side of the Jura at the bottom. If you want to go slightly further there is La Faucille - you drive up to the Col de La Faucille (but beware long queues of traffic at peak times). La Faucille is already opening at weekends. Web site: http://www.monts-jura.com

For weekends, the nearest to Geneva and fine for kids are the Monts Jura resorts. Crozet is 20 mins from Geneva - you park this side of the Jura at the bottom. If you want to go slightly further there is La Faucille - you drive up to the Col de La Faucille (but beware long queues of traffic at peak times). La Faucille is already opening at weekends. Web site: http://www.monts-jura.com

Dabbo, Dec 3, 2012 @ 17:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Crozet, les Dappes, Lelex , these are small ski stations in the Jura (20 to 30 min) from Geneva which all have excellent ski instructors and have specific schools for children.  also these are fairly cheaper than some Swiss ski resorts.

http://www.monts-jura.com/dossiers/dossier_18_ecoles+ski.html

Voila...

Crozet, les Dappes, Lelex , these are small ski stations in the Jura (20 to 30 min) from Geneva which all have excellent ski instructors and have specific schools for children.  also these are fairly cheaper than some Swiss ski resorts.

http://www.monts-jura.com/dossiers/dossier_18_ecoles+ski.html

Voila...

WOJA M, Dec 3, 2012 @ 18:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Whatever you do make sure the weather is really good for the first lesson - maybe the first two or three.  There is nothing more off-putting for a beginner to be standing around in the wet and cold.

Everytime I have seen children learning there has always been one that is wingeing ôrm crying and other children give no sympathy.

It might be that the kid is useless - in which case forget skiing. But it could be that the weather is making him miserable or the clothing is too hot or too cold.

If you make mistake on the first outing, you could have long lasting problems which will ruin your skiing

Whatever you do make sure the weather is really good for the first lesson - maybe the first two or three.  There is nothing more off-putting for a beginner to be standing around in the wet and cold.

Everytime I have seen children learning there has always been one that is wingeing ôrm crying and other children give no sympathy.

It might be that the kid is useless - in which case forget skiing. But it could be that the weather is making him miserable or the clothing is too hot or too cold.

If you make mistake on the first outing, you could have long lasting problems which will ruin your skiing

Paul E, Dec 3, 2012 @ 20:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Forgot to mention that nursery slopes are usiually low down near the resort and in many places the sun  is hidden because of trees, so you might be having a great time in the sun whereas your kid is in the shade - so choose the time of day 

Forgot to mention that nursery slopes are usiually low down near the resort and in many places the sun  is hidden because of trees, so you might be having a great time in the sun whereas your kid is in the shade - so choose the time of day 

Paul E, Dec 3, 2012 @ 20:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 2143 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form