Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > Skiing with Malcolm

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Skiing with Malcolm
WARNING I had a very interesting day yesterday at Les Crosets - the gang I went with were great (as all Glocals are) BUT having been advised that the conditions at the resort were for all abilities, I had a very frightening experience and owe my survival to the responsible people around me Deborah and Steve. Without them I think I may have taken my first helicopter ride. Im always up for an adventure but this really was a disaster and could have been much more dramatic than I am explaining now. Soooooo guys please do your research - I will take the advice from the ski instructors of the resort in future -who in this case informed me " there are no beginners slopes in Les Crosets!). HAPPY SKIING x
The text you are quoting:
WARNING I had a very interesting day yesterday at Les Crosets - the gang I went with were great (as all Glocals are) BUT having been advised that the conditions at the resort were for all abilities, I had a very frightening experience and owe my survival to the responsible people around me Deborah and Steve. Without them I think I may have taken my first helicopter ride. Im always up for an adventure but this really was a disaster and could have been much more dramatic than I am explaining now. Soooooo guys please do your research - I will take the advice from the ski instructors of the resort in future -who in this case informed me " there are no beginners slopes in Les Crosets!). HAPPY SKIING x
wendlynJan 20, 2008 @ 13:28
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 1961 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Skiing with Malcolm
Post 1
How about a 'bOSch-CARs' party??! ;-D (nt)
How about a 'bOSch-CARs' party??! ;-D (nt)
JulianT, Jan 26, 2008 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Wendlyn is a novice skier-not a beginner. As such she should:-

1. Restrict her skiing to Nursery slopes with paid- for lessons with a Ski school instructor.
2. Learn to read Piste maps, ski lift signs or ask local services for guidance.
3. Pay attention to instructions/advice when given by them and more experienced skiers.
4. Learn how to ski in control before attempting even easy blue runs.
She has skied twice with the Glocalski group, in Villars and Les Crosets, and on both occasions has had to be rescued/talked down a slope having ignored these simple ski safety rules.

On Sat 19th Jan in Les Crosets, to fill in time before her lesson, she followed the Glocalski group on to the blue grading run Crosets 2.

She was told TWICE not to go to the top of the poma drag lift as her skiing ability was not adequate after only1 previous ski lesson. And she should just use the lower 100m on which to practice-as do the ski lessons.

When it was observed that she had ignored this advice, and was starting to go down a red, run two experienced skiers –inc one with BASI instructors training-were assigned to oversee her safely down the slope.

The rest of the Glocalski group had to waste 20 minutes waiting for her as the ski leader had to repeat the run to check that she was safe with a’ ski buddy ‘.
Far from being abandoned by the group we went to great lengths to accommodate the delays to our skiing enjoyment necessitated by her inconsiderate actions of trying to keep up with the grown ups.

Ski group guiding is not a free alternative to having professional lessons.

PS Les Crosets is one of the least terrifying resorts on the Valais being a wide open piste bowl with over 50% blue runs.

Had Wendlyn asked she would have found the nursery bunny run at the entrance to the village at the Sundance car park with a beginners’ tow rope lift, Wendy House, Mickey mouse etc.-
Wendlyn is a novice skier-not a beginner. As such she should:-

1. Restrict her skiing to Nursery slopes with paid- for lessons with a Ski school instructor.
2. Learn to read Piste maps, ski lift signs or ask local services for guidance.
3. Pay attention to instructions/advice when given by them and more experienced skiers.
4. Learn how to ski in control before attempting even easy blue runs.
She has skied twice with the Glocalski group, in Villars and Les Crosets, and on both occasions has had to be rescued/talked down a slope having ignored these simple ski safety rules.

On Sat 19th Jan in Les Crosets, to fill in time before her lesson, she followed the Glocalski group on to the blue grading run Crosets 2.

She was told TWICE not to go to the top of the poma drag lift as her skiing ability was not adequate after only1 previous ski lesson. And she should just use the lower 100m on which to practice-as do the ski lessons.

When it was observed that she had ignored this advice, and was starting to go down a red, run two experienced skiers –inc one with BASI instructors training-were assigned to oversee her safely down the slope.

The rest of the Glocalski group had to waste 20 minutes waiting for her as the ski leader had to repeat the run to check that she was safe with a’ ski buddy ‘.
Far from being abandoned by the group we went to great lengths to accommodate the delays to our skiing enjoyment necessitated by her inconsiderate actions of trying to keep up with the grown ups.

Ski group guiding is not a free alternative to having professional lessons.

PS Les Crosets is one of the least terrifying resorts on the Valais being a wide open piste bowl with over 50% blue runs.

Had Wendlyn asked she would have found the nursery bunny run at the entrance to the village at the Sundance car park with a beginners’ tow rope lift, Wendy House, Mickey mouse etc.-

Malcolm W, Jan 26, 2008 @ 14:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
the so-called 'Glocals Ski Group' by MalaWrite does not have official Glocals status (as sanctioned by Oded or Nir)... cheers. J.
the so-called 'Glocals Ski Group' by MalaWrite does not have official Glocals status (as sanctioned by Oded or Nir)... cheers. J.
JulianT, Jan 26, 2008 @ 15:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
It seems lucky for me that I was unable to ski that weekend. The post sounded great - skiing for all abilitis followed by a soak in the local baths and an inexpensive dinner. All I can say s poor Wendy, and she is a remotely better skiier that Vik and I who would have been attending also if it had not been for prior engagements.

How irresponsible to post for all abilities and then choose a resort which had no beginners facilities. Further to that put a skier on a lift to a piste which was for experienced skiiers only, having been informed that that particular skiier is a complete beginner.

If Malcom continued the day which was planned with baths and dinner not all of his group were unaware. He was not seen for the remainder of the day. In my opinion an event organiser who makes plans and then abandons his group has commited the biggest sin of hosting, and should not be allowed to organise such events again without warnings attatched to his post. An event organiser should provide apropriate conditions for the levels he has invited and if apropriate conditions are not available he A) should have researched it properly before taking a group there and B) should then take it upon himself to accompany the slowest of the group until they were safe. This selfless attitude was instead on this day adopted by Deborah and Steve.

All I can say to finish is thank god that vik ad I were not there needing to be rescued also. And, as a last final note to evryone, although skiing is the activity under review here, Hiking and climbing etc are also dangerous sports. If you are taking an advanced route please make people aware in your invite.

Irresponsible event organising can infact risk lives.
It seems lucky for me that I was unable to ski that weekend. The post sounded great - skiing for all abilitis followed by a soak in the local baths and an inexpensive dinner. All I can say s poor Wendy, and she is a remotely better skiier that Vik and I who would have been attending also if it had not been for prior engagements.

How irresponsible to post for all abilities and then choose a resort which had no beginners facilities. Further to that put a skier on a lift to a piste which was for experienced skiiers only, having been informed that that particular skiier is a complete beginner.

If Malcom continued the day which was planned with baths and dinner not all of his group were unaware. He was not seen for the remainder of the day. In my opinion an event organiser who makes plans and then abandons his group has commited the biggest sin of hosting, and should not be allowed to organise such events again without warnings attatched to his post. An event organiser should provide apropriate conditions for the levels he has invited and if apropriate conditions are not available he A) should have researched it properly before taking a group there and B) should then take it upon himself to accompany the slowest of the group until they were safe. This selfless attitude was instead on this day adopted by Deborah and Steve.

All I can say to finish is thank god that vik ad I were not there needing to be rescued also. And, as a last final note to evryone, although skiing is the activity under review here, Hiking and climbing etc are also dangerous sports. If you are taking an advanced route please make people aware in your invite.

Irresponsible event organising can infact risk lives.
chyvartonkat, Jan 28, 2008 @ 11:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
The forum is a great place to post comments about events and outings that we - fellow glocalers - organize so I was a bit surprised to read a post concerning Malcolm's outing to Les Crosets on January 19th - posted by a person who had not been present.

Not being a very good skier (I only started again after a 16 year hiatus a month ago) it is hard for me to judge skiers' abilities and slopes, though I took private lessons (8 hours all together) before venturing back out with a group). Thus I can imagine that Wendy found the first slope in Les Crosets quite difficult but perhaps remaining on the nursery slopes might have been wiser. That is exactly what I did (after a private lesson) during my first ski outing in Villars with Glocals as I do not expect other members to teach me how to ski.

On the other hand, I enjoyed myself and had a grand time skiing, soaking in the baths and having dinner with Malcolm and fellow glocalers at Les Crosets.

Legal Kitty
The forum is a great place to post comments about events and outings that we - fellow glocalers - organize so I was a bit surprised to read a post concerning Malcolm's outing to Les Crosets on January 19th - posted by a person who had not been present.

Not being a very good skier (I only started again after a 16 year hiatus a month ago) it is hard for me to judge skiers' abilities and slopes, though I took private lessons (8 hours all together) before venturing back out with a group). Thus I can imagine that Wendy found the first slope in Les Crosets quite difficult but perhaps remaining on the nursery slopes might have been wiser. That is exactly what I did (after a private lesson) during my first ski outing in Villars with Glocals as I do not expect other members to teach me how to ski.

On the other hand, I enjoyed myself and had a grand time skiing, soaking in the baths and having dinner with Malcolm and fellow glocalers at Les Crosets.

Legal Kitty

Karin E, Jan 28, 2008 @ 11:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Yes this forum is great to post comments about event and outings but when these comments start to become vicious and pointed directly at someone as a result of positive/negative feedback to an organiser, it is out of order and quite frankly extremely immature! How old do you have to be to be on this site again???
Yes this forum is great to post comments about event and outings but when these comments start to become vicious and pointed directly at someone as a result of positive/negative feedback to an organiser, it is out of order and quite frankly extremely immature! How old do you have to be to be on this site again???
Vik_murph, Jan 28, 2008 @ 12:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
May i remind you,on reaching the resort my reaction was alarm I made it very clear to you I was not comfortable tackling the slope you suggested we all take. It would have been a good time to suggest I go and play in the Wendy house. Top tip Malcolm - in the adult world debate is healthy, arguments sometimes necessary but to resort to insults is immature and childish and your argument is lost. I will continue..a thoughtful member suggested we still together and tackle the first slope to ensure everyones safety. I was extrememly hesitant at this point.But you continued to ignore my anxiety and said just get up to the top. At this point you asked a male member of the group to keep an eye on me and one other and disappeared never to be seen again (great organisation Malcolm). I repeatedly said that I was not wanting to be a resposibility or burden to the group. Coming back to you now Malc? ring any bells? I could continue but as you will recall I raised this formum to inform others of the unnecessary risks I experienced that day. I feel it a responsibility to inform others. My two hour lesson which had been previously booked was wasted as I was not in a fit state to take it up. Two very caring adults ensured I was safe and supported me and my buddy to safety. Lessons learnt that day.. my instructor confirmed my gut feeling ... the resort was not suitable. When we re-grouped at the end of the day, Julian T was in attendance with his group and made us welcome, in his usual charismatic way. I refuse to enter into any further discussion over this but really did have to set the record straight (hate lies). So happy, safe skiing everyone - enjoy. Oh one last thought - didnt see you mentioned at the glocal oscars Malc?
May i remind you,on reaching the resort my reaction was alarm I made it very clear to you I was not comfortable tackling the slope you suggested we all take. It would have been a good time to suggest I go and play in the Wendy house. Top tip Malcolm - in the adult world debate is healthy, arguments sometimes necessary but to resort to insults is immature and childish and your argument is lost. I will continue..a thoughtful member suggested we still together and tackle the first slope to ensure everyones safety. I was extrememly hesitant at this point.But you continued to ignore my anxiety and said just get up to the top. At this point you asked a male member of the group to keep an eye on me and one other and disappeared never to be seen again (great organisation Malcolm). I repeatedly said that I was not wanting to be a resposibility or burden to the group. Coming back to you now Malc? ring any bells? I could continue but as you will recall I raised this formum to inform others of the unnecessary risks I experienced that day. I feel it a responsibility to inform others. My two hour lesson which had been previously booked was wasted as I was not in a fit state to take it up. Two very caring adults ensured I was safe and supported me and my buddy to safety. Lessons learnt that day.. my instructor confirmed my gut feeling ... the resort was not suitable. When we re-grouped at the end of the day, Julian T was in attendance with his group and made us welcome, in his usual charismatic way. I refuse to enter into any further discussion over this but really did have to set the record straight (hate lies). So happy, safe skiing everyone - enjoy. Oh one last thought - didnt see you mentioned at the glocal oscars Malc?
wendlyn, Jan 28, 2008 @ 12:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Hi guys

Obviously, there was some sort of communication problem here, but this is not the place for personal insults or blame trading.

Im happy no one got hurt, and I urge all activity organizers and participants to use common sense when deciding what sort of things they/you are willing to do.

If either of you (Wendlyn or Malcolm) wants to discuss this further, please send me a private message.

Thanks

ODed
Hi guys

Obviously, there was some sort of communication problem here, but this is not the place for personal insults or blame trading.

Im happy no one got hurt, and I urge all activity organizers and participants to use common sense when deciding what sort of things they/you are willing to do.

If either of you (Wendlyn or Malcolm) wants to discuss this further, please send me a private message.

Thanks

ODed
SiteAdmin Oded, Jan 28, 2008 @ 13:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
I just came from the ski day in champery on the 27 january organized by Malcolm:

simply a WONDERFUL experience!!!

beginners (including myself) were in the nursery slope, had fun in learning how to ski on the almost flat land, advanced skiers wandered all along the slopes... and then we met all together to go to the thermal baths.

From my (very little) experience, the thing I can suggest is:
BEGINNERS WITH BEGINNERS, ADVANCED WITH ADVANCED!

it's better to laugh all together than being laughted at!

ciao
marco
I just came from the ski day in champery on the 27 january organized by Malcolm:

simply a WONDERFUL experience!!!

beginners (including myself) were in the nursery slope, had fun in learning how to ski on the almost flat land, advanced skiers wandered all along the slopes... and then we met all together to go to the thermal baths.

From my (very little) experience, the thing I can suggest is:
BEGINNERS WITH BEGINNERS, ADVANCED WITH ADVANCED!

it's better to laugh all together than being laughted at!

ciao
marco
marcomarco, Jan 28, 2008 @ 13:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Thanks for the offer I have said my peace had to be said publicly as I felt targetted and insulted. Sorry glocalers ..shouldnt have been necessary. Big smiles to everyone ! x
Thanks for the offer I have said my peace had to be said publicly as I felt targetted and insulted. Sorry glocalers ..shouldnt have been necessary. Big smiles to everyone ! x
wendlyn, Jan 28, 2008 @ 14:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 1961 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form