Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > Where to take my sister for her first ski??

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Where to take my sister for her first ski??
My sister and her partner are coming over this week and are looking forward to trying out skiing for the first time..eeeek!! They have skiied on a dry slope before many years ago, but let's say they are first timers on the real thing. I am an ok skier, but still at a beginner level, and I stay on greens and blues to be safe. They are coming over from the U.K. so they're on a budget.:w00t:

We will just be going for the day (budget reasons), hiring a car so preferably somewhere not too far away!

If anyone has any suggestions then I'd appreciate some advice.

Emma

The text you are quoting:
My sister and her partner are coming over this week and are looking forward to trying out skiing for the first time..eeeek!! They have skiied on a dry slope before many years ago, but let's say they are first timers on the real thing. I am an ok skier, but still at a beginner level, and I stay on greens and blues to be safe. They are coming over from the U.K. so they're on a budget.:w00t:

We will just be going for the day (budget reasons), hiring a car so preferably somewhere not too far away!

If anyone has any suggestions then I'd appreciate some advice.

Emma
emma1979Mar 30, 2009 @ 15:16

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 2623 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Where to take my sister for her first ski??
Post 1
I am a beggining skier too and found that the La Faucille in the Jura has the longest gentle slope I could find all season. Good luck.
I am a beggining skier too and found that the La Faucille in the Jura has the longest gentle slope I could find all season. Good luck.
sloducky, Mar 31, 2009 @ 15:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
hi emma,

you can go to avoriaz (www.avoriaz.com) at 1h15 of driving, park at "prodains" then take the cabine, less to drive and you'll have a very nice slope to come back at the end of the day, or with the cabine if you're tired. on saturdays the pass costs 33 euros (22 on sat and 40 for sat+sun). it's my favorite resort because of all the freestyle stuff but the slopes are large and well shaped, good for begginers.

or you can go to praz de lys sommand (www.prazdelys-sommand.com) at 1h00 of drive, much smaller resort but nice too, no real green slopes but blues are fine to start.

they are closer resorts like mont jura, but they allready closed last weekend ...

have fun,
pika

hi emma,

you can go to avoriaz (www.avoriaz.com) at 1h15 of driving, park at "prodains" then take the cabine, less to drive and you'll have a very nice slope to come back at the end of the day, or with the cabine if you're tired. on saturdays the pass costs 33 euros (22 on sat and 40 for sat+sun). it's my favorite resort because of all the freestyle stuff but the slopes are large and well shaped, good for begginers.

or you can go to praz de lys sommand (www.prazdelys-sommand.com) at 1h00 of drive, much smaller resort but nice too, no real green slopes but blues are fine to start.

they are closer resorts like mont jura, but they allready closed last weekend ...

have fun,
pika

Pika, Mar 31, 2009 @ 15:10

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Thanks for the advice, we need to stay in the Swiss Alps though, as France means exchanging £-chf and then to EUR which is going to be a loss.

Any other swiss stations close by that you suggest?

Thanks again

Thanks for the advice, we need to stay in the Swiss Alps though, as France means exchanging £-chf and then to EUR which is going to be a loss.

Any other swiss stations close by that you suggest?

Thanks again
emma1979, Mar 31, 2009 @ 19:01

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
If you're going to stay in Switzerland, you could try Leysin or Les Diablerets. Nice small resorts not too far in the Valais and with easy slopes, and the ski pass is relatively cheap.

Only issue is the weather forecast for the rest of the week (end week-end) = sun and 16-17 degrees so the snow is going to melt quickly and these resorts are not so high in altitude... so you'd better be there early in the morning!!!

Have fun!

//Ben

If you're going to stay in Switzerland, you could try Leysin or Les Diablerets. Nice small resorts not too far in the Valais and with easy slopes, and the ski pass is relatively cheap.

Only issue is the weather forecast for the rest of the week (end week-end) = sun and 16-17 degrees so the snow is going to melt quickly and these resorts are not so high in altitude... so you'd better be there early in the morning!!!

Have fun!

//Ben
Lebenja, Mar 31, 2009 @ 19:44

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Emma,

In Switzerland the closest one would be indeed Les Diablerets/Villars but it is low except the glacier area where they obviously wouldn't go so the snow will bad because of the temperature.

Your best bet are the resorts in nearby France and you can exchange pounds directly to euros, don't forget that there are lots of ATMs that allow you to take euros directly and France is cheaper than Switzerland for the ski pass.

My choice for the resort would be Flaine in France, 45 minutes drive, easy access, huge free parking and relatively high altitude (2500), cheap ski pass. They have at least a couple of areas reserved to complete beginners, with mini ski lifts on the side (tapis roulant, i don't know the english name) so there you go

Cheers,

catalin 

Hi Emma,

In Switzerland the closest one would be indeed Les Diablerets/Villars but it is low except the glacier area where they obviously wouldn't go so the snow will bad because of the temperature.

Your best bet are the resorts in nearby France and you can exchange pounds directly to euros, don't forget that there are lots of ATMs that allow you to take euros directly and France is cheaper than Switzerland for the ski pass.

My choice for the resort would be Flaine in France, 45 minutes drive, easy access, huge free parking and relatively high altitude (2500), cheap ski pass. They have at least a couple of areas reserved to complete beginners, with mini ski lifts on the side (tapis roulant, i don't know the english name) so there you go

Cheers,

catalin 
catalin, Mar 31, 2009 @ 22:41

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Thanks so much for all these suggestions, I will take a look and compare prices etc, and then maybe let you know how she did!

Just hope there is some snow left :w00t: oh well if not there's always apres ski!

Thanks so much for all these suggestions, I will take a look and compare prices etc, and then maybe let you know how she did!

Just hope there is some snow left :w00t: oh well if not there's always apres ski!
emma1979, Apr 1, 2009 @ 00:24

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 2623 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form