Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > seeking ski lessons for beginners

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
seeking ski lessons for beginners

I along with my kids want to start skiing this season..never done it before. Any suggestions?

The text you are quoting:

I along with my kids want to start skiing this season..never done it before. Any suggestions?

ahsan nabeelDec 12, 2012 @ 17:54
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1633 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: seeking ski lessons for beginners
Post 1

I don't know whether they do it here, but I learnt in California and quite a few resorts there had introductory cheap packages - basically a 2 hour lesson and all day lift pass (only valid on beginner runs though, but thats all you need) + ski/boots rental for the day. If French or Swiss resorts have something like that it could be a good way to give it a try one weekend, and then if you like it take it further.

I don't know whether they do it here, but I learnt in California and quite a few resorts there had introductory cheap packages - basically a 2 hour lesson and all day lift pass (only valid on beginner runs though, but thats all you need) + ski/boots rental for the day. If French or Swiss resorts have something like that it could be a good way to give it a try one weekend, and then if you like it take it further.

Mark H, Dec 12, 2012 @ 22:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

that's exactly what i am looking for..Just doesnt know where will be the best choice near geneva.Frown

that's exactly what i am looking for..Just doesnt know where will be the best choice near geneva.Frown

ahsan nabeel, Dec 13, 2012 @ 12:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I think there is no real “best place” to learn skiing or snowboarding.  All resorts who have a ski school have the terrain, equipment and expertise to teach beginners. What you should consider is time traveling, cost, scenery, alternative activities and support (child care and amenities).

What will make the “best place” is what interests you and its personal. Be adventurous and for the first timers just choose somewhere, anywhere!

Check out our website www.allmountainchamonix.com or E mail me to find out why I think Chamonix is my favorite place in the world to ride.

I think there is no real “best place” to learn skiing or snowboarding.  All resorts who have a ski school have the terrain, equipment and expertise to teach beginners. What you should consider is time traveling, cost, scenery, alternative activities and support (child care and amenities).

What will make the “best place” is what interests you and its personal. Be adventurous and for the first timers just choose somewhere, anywhere!

Check out our website www.allmountainchamonix.com or E mail me to find out why I think Chamonix is my favorite place in the world to ride.

Aaron Cooke, Dec 21, 2012 @ 17:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Ahsan,

You just missed a BuyClub promo on ski lessons at 40% off. That sold out, but we hope to bring more in Jan.

If you're an absolute beginner, I'd suggest to you one of the smaller resorts around Geneva. You'll spend most of the time on your behind anyway, so no need to go to bigger resorts which are further away for that. Go close to home where it's smaller and cheaper, until you're a bit better. And once you get a bit better, Chamonix is indeed amazing!

Nir

Ahsan,

You just missed a BuyClub promo on ski lessons at 40% off. That sold out, but we hope to bring more in Jan.

If you're an absolute beginner, I'd suggest to you one of the smaller resorts around Geneva. You'll spend most of the time on your behind anyway, so no need to go to bigger resorts which are further away for that. Go close to home where it's smaller and cheaper, until you're a bit better. And once you get a bit better, Chamonix is indeed amazing!

Nir

Nir Ofek, Dec 21, 2012 @ 21:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I know it's a bit of and old thread and all, but had to comment on nir's post. :) I have only been downhill skiing three times and on any of the occasions did I fall a lot. It's a very easy thing to learn, especially on green ( and most blue runs). I would just advise to ask a friend with a good level of experience to give you a short course. A lot cheaper and probably more helpful. Recently in the three valleys I went down a green one because its a good 4 years from the last try and there was a ski instructor just going doing turns in front of the pupils saing "ce facile, ce facile" like that's helpful! I would be really annoyed paying all that money for someone to state the obvious. :)

And another thing. What some people concider good skiing varies, because my husband who is a very good skier on and off the piste, doesn't like chamonix at all. The best thing to do is just go round a few places and find what suits you. It's like with wine, people prefer Cabernet savingnon and Pinot noir but only because they haven't tried all the others. :) 

I know it's a bit of and old thread and all, but had to comment on nir's post. :) I have only been downhill skiing three times and on any of the occasions did I fall a lot. It's a very easy thing to learn, especially on green ( and most blue runs). I would just advise to ask a friend with a good level of experience to give you a short course. A lot cheaper and probably more helpful. Recently in the three valleys I went down a green one because its a good 4 years from the last try and there was a ski instructor just going doing turns in front of the pupils saing "ce facile, ce facile" like that's helpful! I would be really annoyed paying all that money for someone to state the obvious. :)

And another thing. What some people concider good skiing varies, because my husband who is a very good skier on and off the piste, doesn't like chamonix at all. The best thing to do is just go round a few places and find what suits you. It's like with wine, people prefer Cabernet savingnon and Pinot noir but only because they haven't tried all the others. :) 

catalyna, Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1633 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form