Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > where to find ski clothes and place to start

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
where to find ski clothes and place to start
Hi,

Im new in Geneva and nerver skied. where would Ibuy good ski clothes?

what are the best companies?

where do I start (near Geneva)?

how much does it cost?

thank you,

Michael

The text you are quoting:
Hi,

Im new in Geneva and nerver skied. where would Ibuy good ski clothes?

how much does it cost?

thank you,

Michael
micrinDec 7, 2008 @ 16:00

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 5547 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: where to find ski clothes and place to start
Post 1

Hello there, I just saw your post, I hope you found soemthing already, but if not here's some tips.  Since you never skied most likely you'll need just warm basic ski clothes (nothing super fancy and very expensive suitable for off pist for example or for skiing in snowstorms etc ...). If you want to stay in Geneva the best palces to go is the Migros Sport XX shops - I bought my gears there when I first came to Geneva, they have some really good offers on the minor brands and you can get the whole set with around 200chf.  There's one in the Mpark in Carouge, one in Meyrin (the biggest i think) close to King Jouet and Pfeister etc, and one in Balexert. I think La Praille also has one but a bit smaller.

The best alternative for me is to go to France. There's a GO Sport (famous french chain) in the shopping center in Etrembier where they always have nice offers. I got my new ski gears there and the whole ensamble was around 100 Euro (150 chf). The plus is that if you spend 175euro in the shop (you could reach that if you have to also buy accessories like gloves, socks, neck warmer, helmet etc ..) you can get the VAT refund (around 30 Euro ....) ....

Hope this helps.

Vale

Hello there, I just saw your post, I hope you found soemthing already, but if not here's some tips.  Since you never skied most likely you'll need just warm basic ski clothes (nothing super fancy and very expensive suitable for off pist for example or for skiing in snowstorms etc ...). If you want to stay in Geneva the best palces to go is the Migros Sport XX shops - I bought my gears there when I first came to Geneva, they have some really good offers on the minor brands and you can get the whole set with around 200chf.  There's one in the Mpark in Carouge, one in Meyrin (the biggest i think) close to King Jouet and Pfeister etc, and one in Balexert. I think La Praille also has one but a bit smaller.

The best alternative for me is to go to France. There's a GO Sport (famous french chain) in the shopping center in Etrembier where they always have nice offers. I got my new ski gears there and the whole ensamble was around 100 Euro (150 chf). The plus is that if you spend 175euro in the shop (you could reach that if you have to also buy accessories like gloves, socks, neck warmer, helmet etc ..) you can get the VAT refund (around 30 Euro ....) ....

Hope this helps.

Vale
Hoiling, Dec 10, 2008 @ 12:14

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Although I'm a Migrophile and totally vouch for Hoiling's posting above about SportXX (especially at the M-Parc), another alternative is Oschner Sport.

Oschner is on Rue du Marché downtown and also in the La Praille shopping center (near the football stadium).

Although I'm a Migrophile and totally vouch for Hoiling's posting above about SportXX (especially at the M-Parc), another alternative is Oschner Sport.

Oschner is on Rue du Marché downtown and also in the La Praille shopping center (near the football stadium).
MarmarK, Dec 10, 2008 @ 15:09

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
[quote]Hi,

Im new in Geneva and nerver skied. where would Ibuygood ski clothes?

how much does it cost?

thank you,

Michael[/quote]

Hi, you got some good suggestions there, so wont go into that, I know there is an outlet close to IKEA, might be good to look up. Otherwise you have Passe Montagne, http://www.passemontagne.ch/, and cactus sport in Geneva also.

For ski clothes, think layers, I would suggest to go for a base layer (close to the body) forget cotton, it will get wet and you will get cold. Then you might want a fleece layer, for me (I telemark) a pair of think fleece pants and a thinner fleece jacket is just perfect, above that I wear gora-tex pants (with leg zippers if its really warm) and a gore-tex jacket (that lives in my ruggsack when its nice weather). Mittens are warmer, but sometimes not that practical, a balaclava is really nice, it can be worn around the need, or completely cover your head. Ski googles are much better then sunglasses, remember that at above 3000 meter you have a lot more UV, so get a pair that block UV, I use a pair with reflecting lenses (class 4) brand dont matter, remember if you take a face dive they will probably be destroyed, get a pair that is cheep. Helmet.... I cant stress this enough, I skied on week in Zermatt for some days ago, a friend took a fall and he had a golfball-size hole in his helmet when he got back on his feet... enough said (everyone can fall, he has skied of-pist for more then 10 years... and is a really good skier)

If you want to spend the money a wind-stopper fleece is really nice in the slopes. The best way to think is that you should be a bit cold (not freezing) when you are standing still and going up the ski lift for the first time, this means that you wont be wet of sweet when you have skied down which will make you cold when you are in the ski lift again (but also, telemark skiing makes you sweet a "bit" more ;)

to sum up:

remember, layers, layers and layers, no cotton, protect you skin from UV (always sun block and googles) and wear a helmet.

( and quality always last, my ski jacket is more then 15 years old, its the 64:th jacket that Peak produced when they still where hand made and it still perfect, for pants I right now I have a pair of arcteryx stinger bib, love them )

hope to see you in the slopes

to finish of, here is two telemark movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjjZoU_05P8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBw1R8WvS_4&feature=related

cheers
[quote]Hi,

Im new in Geneva and nerver skied. where would Ibuygood ski clothes?

how much does it cost?

thank you,

Michael[/quote]

Hi, you got some good suggestions there, so wont go into that, I know there is an outlet close to IKEA, might be good to look up. Otherwise you have Passe Montagne, http://www.passemontagne.ch/, and cactus sport in Geneva also.

For ski clothes, think layers, I would suggest to go for a base layer (close to the body) forget cotton, it will get wet and you will get cold. Then you might want a fleece layer, for me (I telemark) a pair of think fleece pants and a thinner fleece jacket is just perfect, above that I wear gora-tex pants (with leg zippers if its really warm) and a gore-tex jacket (that lives in my ruggsack when its nice weather). Mittens are warmer, but sometimes not that practical, a balaclava is really nice, it can be worn around the need, or completely cover your head. Ski googles are much better then sunglasses, remember that at above 3000 meter you have a lot more UV, so get a pair that block UV, I use a pair with reflecting lenses (class 4) brand dont matter, remember if you take a face dive they will probably be destroyed, get a pair that is cheep. Helmet.... I cant stress this enough, I skied on week in Zermatt for some days ago, a friend took a fall and he had a golfball-size hole in his helmet when he got back on his feet... enough said (everyone can fall, he has skied of-pist for more then 10 years... and is a really good skier)

If you want to spend the money a wind-stopper fleece is really nice in the slopes. The best way to think is that you should be a bit cold (not freezing) when you are standing still and going up the ski lift for the first time, this means that you wont be wet of sweet when you have skied down which will make you cold when you are in the ski lift again (but also, telemark skiing makes you sweet a "bit" more ;)

to sum up:

remember, layers, layers and layers, no cotton, protect you skin from UV (always sun block and googles) and wear a helmet.

( and quality always last, my ski jacket is more then 15 years old, its the 64:th jacket that Peak produced when they still where hand made and it still perfect, for pants I right now I have a pair of arcteryx stinger bib, love them )

hope to see you in the slopes

to finish of, here is two telemark movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjjZoU_05P8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBw1R8WvS_4&feature=related

cheers
sandholm, Dec 10, 2008 @ 15:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 5547 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form