Login or Sign Up

Forums in Basel > Basel > Canadians / Americans working in Basel but living in France?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Canadians / Americans working in Basel but living in France?

I moved to Basel in January (from Canada) and may get a titre de séjour to live in France, which apparently is not hugely difficult as my office is technically on French soil (airport).   I am trying to find other non-EU citizens who have also made a move to the French side in order to do a reality check before I jump in.  Any leads or insights?  Thank you!

The text you are quoting:

I moved to Basel in January (from Canada) and may get a titre de séjour to live in France, which apparently is not hugely difficult as my office is technically on French soil (airport).   I am trying to find other non-EU citizens who have also made a move to the French side in order to do a reality check before I jump in.  Any leads or insights?  Thank you!

Todd WhartonJun 16, 2011 @ 23:23
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 2565 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Canadians / Americans working in Basel but living in France?
Post 1

Hi Todd, I work with a canadian woman who lives in France. If you are still interested i could ask her if you could get in touch with her. Let me know.

Hi Todd, I work with a canadian woman who lives in France. If you are still interested i could ask her if you could get in touch with her. Let me know.

anamu, Jul 1, 2011 @ 23:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

hi, I am from NZ and moved to France before moving to Basel. Bought a nice house, dealt with the local government Titre de sejour should have taken 4 weeks, took 5 months, still waiting one year later for health card. It is lovely, the houses are more affordable, we have a swiss franc mortgage and pay low interest. The biggest problem was getting a cross border permit for me for working, I could not get one, hence now have had to move to Basel, pay horrible taxes and insurance fees and grin and bear it. I think the big thing is you need to ensure you can get a cross border permit. Accept for lower taxes things will not run smoothly, life is full of french efficiency, bless it. Feel free to pm me and ask specific questions, cheers andy

hi, I am from NZ and moved to France before moving to Basel. Bought a nice house, dealt with the local government Titre de sejour should have taken 4 weeks, took 5 months, still waiting one year later for health card. It is lovely, the houses are more affordable, we have a swiss franc mortgage and pay low interest. The biggest problem was getting a cross border permit for me for working, I could not get one, hence now have had to move to Basel, pay horrible taxes and insurance fees and grin and bear it. I think the big thing is you need to ensure you can get a cross border permit. Accept for lower taxes things will not run smoothly, life is full of french efficiency, bless it. Feel free to pm me and ask specific questions, cheers andy

Andrea V, Jul 4, 2011 @ 16:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Andy - Really appreciate reading your experience, however sorry to hear about the difficulties... Would love to find out why they would not grant the cross border permit.... maddening!  I would only need one for now if I switched jobs (as at airport), but you never know... Can I e-mail you somewhere? Cheers, Todd  [email protected] 

Hi Andy - Really appreciate reading your experience, however sorry to hear about the difficulties... Would love to find out why they would not grant the cross border permit.... maddening!  I would only need one for now if I switched jobs (as at airport), but you never know... Can I e-mail you somewhere? Cheers, Todd  [email protected] 

Todd Wharton, Jul 4, 2011 @ 22:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 2565 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form