Login or Sign Up

Forums in Basel > Basel > Must See in Basel?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Must See in Basel?
Hello Friends of Basel!!
My name is Yumiko, and I used to live in Geneva until eaerlier this year when I moved back to NY. However, I missed visiting Basel and all the places in eastern Switzerland. 

So I'm planning to visit Basel for a daytrip from Zurich, but if I hear from folks out there thinking this is a terrible idea, then I might have to look into a budget hotel for a night stayover, and hopefully a gathering with glocal members out there!!!

Would LOVE to hear from the Basel members on places not to miss in and around Basel, including recommendations of budget hotel.

Thanks!

(see Geneva activity posting for Aug 24 which includes my travel itinerary)
The text you are quoting:
Hello Friends of Basel!!
My name is Yumiko, and I used to live in Geneva until eaerlier this year when I moved back to NY. However, I missed visiting Basel and all the places in eastern Switzerland. 

So I'm planning to visit Basel for a daytrip from Zurich, but if I hear from folks out there thinking this is a terrible idea, then I might have to look into a budget hotel for a night stayover, and hopefully a gathering with glocal members out there!!!

Would LOVE to hear from the Basel members on places not to miss in and around Basel, including recommendations of budget hotel.

Thanks!

(see Geneva activity posting for Aug 24 which includes my travel itinerary)
YouMeCoAug 13, 2009 @ 22:43
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 3993 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Must See in Basel?
Post 1
 The Van Gogh exhibit is on and I would highly recommend that.
 The Van Gogh exhibit is on and I would highly recommend that.
neater, Aug 14, 2009 @ 16:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
 Yes I would agree with neater. There is  the river and there is a lot of life around the river. And then there are the museums of different kinds and some historic buildings. Apart form that I can't think of any "must see / do" in Basel. Pardon my ignorance as I am new to Basel, but I find it so easy to get out of Basel over weekends to places that have much more to see and do! You could check with the Youth Hostel in Basel for accommodation.
 Yes I would agree with neater. There is  the river and there is a lot of life around the river. And then there are the museums of different kinds and some historic buildings. Apart form that I can't think of any "must see / do" in Basel. Pardon my ignorance as I am new to Basel, but I find it so easy to get out of Basel over weekends to places that have much more to see and do! You could check with the Youth Hostel in Basel for accommodation.
IndiExplorer, Aug 14, 2009 @ 16:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Thanks alot for your comments.  yes, I've heard about the Van Gogh exhibit so hopefully I will come across it during my walk around town ;)

Also, would love to heaer of any suggestions for nice cafes or areas to have lunch, would love to hear about it.
Thanks alot for your comments.  yes, I've heard about the Van Gogh exhibit so hopefully I will come across it during my walk around town ;)

Also, would love to heaer of any suggestions for nice cafes or areas to have lunch, would love to hear about it.
YouMeCo, Aug 14, 2009 @ 16:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
 Okay here are the places  like...
1. Don Pincho Tapas Bar: http://www.donpincho.com/donpincho.htm
2. Eoipso: http://www.eoipso.ch/index.php
3. Marktplatz / Barfusserplatz is a nice area to hang around apart from the river - quite a few cafes, bars and restaurants around these areas. Some of my favorites here are Cafe Des Arts, Papa Joes, La Fonda Cucian Mexicana.
 Okay here are the places  like...
1. Don Pincho Tapas Bar: http://www.donpincho.com/donpincho.htm
2. Eoipso: http://www.eoipso.ch/index.php
3. Marktplatz / Barfusserplatz is a nice area to hang around apart from the river - quite a few cafes, bars and restaurants around these areas. Some of my favorites here are Cafe Des Arts, Papa Joes, La Fonda Cucian Mexicana.
IndiExplorer, Aug 14, 2009 @ 17:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
 Fondation Beyeler  -  Giacometti exhibition is a must see... 
 Fondation Beyeler  -  Giacometti exhibition is a must see... 
Matisse, Aug 19, 2009 @ 09:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Thanks Matisse!!
Yes, so I've been told :) Will definitely try to make my way out there for this!!
I've now seen his works at the MoMa, a small private exhibit of his sketches in a SoHo Gallery in NYC, and would now love to go see this exhibit in his homeland!
Thanks Matisse!!
Yes, so I've been told :) Will definitely try to make my way out there for this!!
I've now seen his works at the MoMa, a small private exhibit of his sketches in a SoHo Gallery in NYC, and would now love to go see this exhibit in his homeland!
YouMeCo, Aug 19, 2009 @ 10:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
 when are you coming to basel?
 when are you coming to basel?
reiner, Aug 27, 2009 @ 19:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
 Hi Reiner, sorry was already there this tuesday, a day when it rained in the afternoon ;( But i had a great time walking around town and seeing the Alberto Giacometti exhibit at the Fondation Beyer museum!!! too bad we missed each other.  cheers.    
 Hi Reiner, sorry was already there this tuesday, a day when it rained in the afternoon ;( But i had a great time walking around town and seeing the Alberto Giacometti exhibit at the Fondation Beyer museum!!! too bad we missed each other.  cheers.    
YouMeCo, Aug 27, 2009 @ 22:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 3993 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form