Login or Sign Up

Forums in Basel > Basel > Which is the most efficient way to learn German?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Which is the most efficient way to learn German?

Hi there! How have you learned German? Or have you ever tried it? An intensive course (daily), once in a week (in the evening or Saturday) or even by other ways..?? Let me know your experiences / suggestions...Pascal

The text you are quoting:

Hi there! How have you learned German? Or have you ever tried it? An intensive course (daily), once in a week (in the evening or Saturday) or even by other ways..?? Let me know your experiences / suggestions...Pascal

Pascal BMar 12, 2012 @ 22:21
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 2971 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Which is the most efficient way to learn German?
Post 1

Hi Pascal

I hope my answer help you and is not too late. I took intensive courses, 2 hours daily at NSH. You could also take some evening clases, usually german course takes place twice a week. I would recommend combining it with conversation sessions, like tandem. You might able to find someone to exchange english-german. If you need more information, just write me back. Good luck!

Soledad

Hi Pascal

I hope my answer help you and is not too late. I took intensive courses, 2 hours daily at NSH. You could also take some evening clases, usually german course takes place twice a week. I would recommend combining it with conversation sessions, like tandem. You might able to find someone to exchange english-german. If you need more information, just write me back. Good luck!

Soledad

Soledad L, May 14, 2012 @ 22:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hey Pascal, 

I had the same issue. German is no easy task! Have you thought of a full immersion? Personally the best way to learn. Nice combination between Holiday + new language + a great experience!

Check out EF, from my research, they're the best and their school in Munich was amazing for adults.

Goodluck!

http://www.efswiss.ch/fr/lsp/

Hey Pascal, 

I had the same issue. German is no easy task! Have you thought of a full immersion? Personally the best way to learn. Nice combination between Holiday + new language + a great experience!

Check out EF, from my research, they're the best and their school in Munich was amazing for adults.

Goodluck!

http://www.efswiss.ch/fr/lsp/

Carlos S, Dec 23, 2014 @ 11:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Try Oregon State University distance learning

you may be surprised at what you find

Try Oregon State University distance learning

you may be surprised at what you find

Luke H, Dec 30, 2014 @ 07:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Pascal

Become a member of centrepoint (www.centrepoint.ch). Memberfee is 95,- CHF per year and family/partner. We offer conversation classes, not only for Germany. I invite you to come and to attend one the German conversation classes. It is really fun. In addition, we have also other conversation classses of a number of other languages. Each Wednesday morning (from 10:30 to 12:00) we have an open Coffee Morning for German speakers ("Kaffee auf Deutsch"). In addition to the conversation classes you can come and chat with the others. It is really fun to get in touch with other internationals. 

Hope to meet you there.

Best regards,

Ilona

Hi Pascal

Become a member of centrepoint (www.centrepoint.ch). Memberfee is 95,- CHF per year and family/partner. We offer conversation classes, not only for Germany. I invite you to come and to attend one the German conversation classes. It is really fun. In addition, we have also other conversation classses of a number of other languages. Each Wednesday morning (from 10:30 to 12:00) we have an open Coffee Morning for German speakers ("Kaffee auf Deutsch"). In addition to the conversation classes you can come and chat with the others. It is really fun to get in touch with other internationals. 

Hope to meet you there.

Best regards,

Ilona

Ilona A, Jan 19, 2015 @ 12:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Bad time. Have you thought that people might have jobs?

Bad time. Have you thought that people might have jobs?

Luke H, Jan 19, 2015 @ 17:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Pascal

You should not hit a hand which likes to help. The writing in your reply sounds a bit agressiv. It was just a suggestion. Did you take a look a the schedule of conversations classes? If yes, then you would have seen that theres is maybe a possiblity for you to attend a German conversation group. 

A nice way of your response could have been to write: "many thanks for this, but I have a full time job and would not be able to attend day time events." Sounds a little bit nicer, or?Wink

All the best,

Ilona

Hi Pascal

You should not hit a hand which likes to help. The writing in your reply sounds a bit agressiv. It was just a suggestion. Did you take a look a the schedule of conversations classes? If yes, then you would have seen that theres is maybe a possiblity for you to attend a German conversation group. 

A nice way of your response could have been to write: "many thanks for this, but I have a full time job and would not be able to attend day time events." Sounds a little bit nicer, or?Wink

All the best,

Ilona

Ilona A, Jan 20, 2015 @ 11:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Poor Pascal...that reply was not from him, Ilona!

Poor Pascal...that reply was not from him, Ilona!

Paul Rhys, Jan 20, 2015 @ 12:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

You are right, IIona. I am sorry.

It is extremely frustrating to see a good opportunity to practice that is unavailable to me. I am studying German via distance with a University because none of the existing programs in Geneva suit my schedule.

You are right, IIona. I am sorry.

It is extremely frustrating to see a good opportunity to practice that is unavailable to me. I am studying German via distance with a University because none of the existing programs in Geneva suit my schedule.

Luke H, Jan 20, 2015 @ 16:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Actually intensive or non-intensive classes in groups dont work for me. Plus, living in Switzerland and trying to learn Hochdeutsch is quite difficult, because you dont hear it on streets and noone really talks in it with you (unless you insist or some notice you dont understand swissdutch).I think the best choice is private courses and to find someone to speak with in German, consistently (like a colleague).

Actually intensive or non-intensive classes in groups dont work for me. Plus, living in Switzerland and trying to learn Hochdeutsch is quite difficult, because you dont hear it on streets and noone really talks in it with you (unless you insist or some notice you dont understand swissdutch).I think the best choice is private courses and to find someone to speak with in German, consistently (like a colleague).

Elza S, Jan 20, 2015 @ 16:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Very good is Orsini, small group, not too expensiveCool

Very good is Orsini, small group, not too expensiveCool

freedy, Mar 6, 2015 @ 14:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 2971 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form