Login or Sign Up

Forums in Bern > Bern > Looking for British cheese in Berne? Avoid Loeb!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Looking for British cheese in Berne? Avoid Loeb!
http://www.englishforum.ch/complaints-corner/88962-english-speakers-bern-have-bad-reputation-they-re-not-welcome-shop.html 
 Quotation:
I've thought long and hard about posting this as it may come across as being just sour grapes (it really isn't) but after telling this story to a few forumers in person they have all said it needs posting.

Some time ago we asked our customers in Bern to suggest a shop that would be suitable for stocking our cheese. Most people mentioned Loeb, although we were warned that they had a bit of a reputation for poor customer service.

We approached them and after some lengthy telephone discussions, they said that they would be interested in meeting us. We drove down with samples and lots of information about our products and also about our marketing support and which cheeses were popular with ex-pats and local Swiss etc.

We heard nothing and after making quite a few phone calls we finally got to speak to the Deli manager again who told us that they had decided not to go ahead. No problem. But we do like to know the reason to help us in the future.

The answer? (and this is a precise translation from the German) - "No one speaks English here and English speaking people are not the type of customers we want in our shop"

My partner (Whom is Swiss by the way) was speechless but managed to say that most of our current customers, and customers at our other retailers were Swiss (and also tried to say that most expats know enough German to ask for 200 gr of cheese!).

"That can't be" was the answer. "Swiss people will only buy Swiss cheese" (so why did they have plenty of French and Italian cheese on display, or even agree to see us in the first place?)

I'm guessing that the Deli manager we met simply passed on our offer to one of the owners or senior managers who simply dismissed it, but we can't believe that anybody could be so blatant in the way they said that our customers would not be welcome at their shop.

So, if you're a native English speaker living in the area, pop in and say hello in your best Swiss German. And if you know any other, more friendly open-minded food shops in town, please let me know!
 Quotation:
I've thought long and hard about posting this as it may come across as being just sour grapes (it really isn't) but after telling this story to a few forumers in person they have all said it needs posting.

Some time ago we asked our customers in Bern to suggest a shop that would be suitable for stocking our cheese. Most people mentioned Loeb, although we were warned that they had a bit of a reputation for poor customer service.

We approached them and after some lengthy telephone discussions, they said that they would be interested in meeting us. We drove down with samples and lots of information about our products and also about our marketing support and which cheeses were popular with ex-pats and local Swiss etc.

We heard nothing and after making quite a few phone calls we finally got to speak to the Deli manager again who told us that they had decided not to go ahead. No problem. But we do like to know the reason to help us in the future.

The answer? (and this is a precise translation from the German) - "No one speaks English here and English speaking people are not the type of customers we want in our shop"

My partner (Whom is Swiss by the way) was speechless but managed to say that most of our current customers, and customers at our other retailers were Swiss (and also tried to say that most expats know enough German to ask for 200 gr of cheese!).

"That can't be" was the answer. "Swiss people will only buy Swiss cheese" (so why did they have plenty of French and Italian cheese on display, or even agree to see us in the first place?)

I'm guessing that the Deli manager we met simply passed on our offer to one of the owners or senior managers who simply dismissed it, but we can't believe that anybody could be so blatant in the way they said that our customers would not be welcome at their shop.

So, if you're a native English speaker living in the area, pop in and say hello in your best Swiss German. And if you know any other, more friendly open-minded food shops in town, please let me know!
Alan WJul 19, 2010 @ 22:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 3667 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Looking for British cheese in Berne? Avoid Loeb!
Post 1

My Friend Tim has opened up an English Deli here in Thun. He not only has cheddar and many other english cheeses, but beer snacks, sauces etc! Has made living here more bearable, knowing I'll never run out of Salad Cream. The shop is called 'A Slice of Home' and is located in the Oberehauptgasse 87, Thun. Or the web address: www.asliceofhome.ch

Hope it helps!

The text you are quoting:

My Friend Tim has opened up an English Deli here in Thun. He not only has cheddar and many other english cheeses, but beer snacks, sauces etc! Has made living here more bearable, knowing I'll never run out of Salad Cream. The shop is called 'A Slice of Home' and is located in the Oberehauptgasse 87, Thun. Or the web address: www.asliceofhome.ch

Hope it helps!

William B, Jul 22, 2010 @ 12:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Yes...what can i say-Welcome to switzerland...that is why i don't like swiss people too much. they  are just like that..

cheers,guys..

eva.

Yes...what can i say-Welcome to switzerland...that is why i don't like swiss people too much. they  are just like that..

cheers,guys..

eva.

Eva U, Sep 3, 2010 @ 15:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

cheers,guys..

eva.

Sep 3, 10 15:22

That's a little unfair! 95% of my customers for my British cheese are Swiss, as is my future wife.

That's a little unfair! 95% of my customers for my British cheese are Swiss, as is my future wife.

Mike J, Sep 27, 2010 @ 19:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Tim (in Thun) has some amazing stuff, FYI.  I'd roll it up and smoke it if I could.  Money mouth

Go see him!

Tim (in Thun) has some amazing stuff, FYI.  I'd roll it up and smoke it if I could.  Money mouth

Go see him!

richardm, Sep 27, 2010 @ 19:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I know, I supply him!

I know, I supply him!

Mike J, Sep 27, 2010 @ 20:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I know, I supply him!

Sep 27, 10 20:04

Duuuuuuuude. Your stuff's in my fridge right now.  I'd say more but I need to go back for another hit.

English cheddar, FTW.

Duuuuuuuude. Your stuff's in my fridge right now.  I'd say more but I need to go back for another hit.

English cheddar, FTW.

richardm, Sep 27, 2010 @ 20:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 3667 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form