Login or Sign Up

Forums in Bern > Bern > The Swiss try to "Rob" me, what should I do now? Help!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
The Swiss try to "Rob" me, what should I do now? Help!

We arrived in Bern in Feb 09 and moved into the townhouse on 16 March, which
was still under construction.

My landlord introduced and told us that because she is not always around, we can talk to the architect about any townhouse matters because he represents her.

Two days after we moved in, the architect  appeared and asked me, ‘If there were any problems in the house?”

I mentioned about the electrical outlets in the kitchen counter and the third floor bathroom.  I asked him if it were possible to make it more useable?

Some thirty minutes later he showed up with a young man and told me this is the electrician, and “Remember his face because he will return shortly after he completes his work next door and he will make the changes.”

The electrician showed up later and performed the work and left.  About an hour and a-half-later he returned with a paper asking me to sign it.  I did not because first it was in German.  Second I noted it had a time stamp and a cost figure.  I told him I did not order the work but the architcet, and therefore he should sign the invoice.  Not knowing what to do, he tried to cajole me into signing by saying in effect it was not an invoice but only that he was present and did his work.  Still I did not sign seeing it clearly looked like an invoice and I knew I was not authorized to order any kind of work for someone elses house that is still under construction.  Moreover, if the architect did not introduce him to me and told me to let him enter the house to do his work he would not have been able to do what he did at all.

The next day the architect returned to check around the house again and asked me, ‘Did the electrician come back and do the work yesterday?’  I confirmed that he did as he was told by you and showed him what the electrician did.  Then he said, “Oh no.”  I asked, “What happened?”  the architect said after he ordered the job late that afternoon, he called the landlord about it and she said, “No.”  I asked, “Now what?”  He said, “Well the work is already done, not to worry.  You did not authorize it, I did.  It is not your worry.  The work is already done.” 

Now we are keeping getting the bill (CHF200) from this company we do not even know who they are in the first place.after I send the letter to them and explan the whole thing,they still insist that this is my bill because I am the one who live here and they said the landlord and the architect both refuse to pay and some one should pay for it, So they decided that I should pay. I feel that they try to rob me just because I am a foreigner and new to here so I don't know better.

Who can tell me what should I do now?

Thank you.

The text you are quoting:

We arrived in Bern in Feb 09 and moved into the townhouse on 16 March, which
was still under construction.

My landlord introduced and told us that because she is not always around, we can talk to the architect about any townhouse matters because he represents her.

Two days after we moved in, the architect  appeared and asked me, ‘If there were any problems in the house?”

I mentioned about the electrical outlets in the kitchen counter and the third floor bathroom.  I asked him if it were possible to make it more useable?

Some thirty minutes later he showed up with a young man and told me this is the electrician, and “Remember his face because he will return shortly after he completes his work next door and he will make the changes.”

The electrician showed up later and performed the work and left.  About an hour and a-half-later he returned with a paper asking me to sign it.  I did not because first it was in German.  Second I noted it had a time stamp and a cost figure.  I told him I did not order the work but the architcet, and therefore he should sign the invoice.  Not knowing what to do, he tried to cajole me into signing by saying in effect it was not an invoice but only that he was present and did his work.  Still I did not sign seeing it clearly looked like an invoice and I knew I was not authorized to order any kind of work for someone elses house that is still under construction.  Moreover, if the architect did not introduce him to me and told me to let him enter the house to do his work he would not have been able to do what he did at all.

The next day the architect returned to check around the house again and asked me, ‘Did the electrician come back and do the work yesterday?’  I confirmed that he did as he was told by you and showed him what the electrician did.  Then he said, “Oh no.”  I asked, “What happened?”  the architect said after he ordered the job late that afternoon, he called the landlord about it and she said, “No.”  I asked, “Now what?”  He said, “Well the work is already done, not to worry.  You did not authorize it, I did.  It is not your worry.  The work is already done.” 

Now we are keeping getting the bill (CHF200) from this company we do not even know who they are in the first place.after I send the letter to them and explan the whole thing,they still insist that this is my bill because I am the one who live here and they said the landlord and the architect both refuse to pay and some one should pay for it, So they decided that I should pay. I feel that they try to rob me just because I am a foreigner and new to here so I don't know better.

Who can tell me what should I do now?

Thank you.

Julie AOct 15, 2009 @ 12:52
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 3688 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: The Swiss try to "Rob" me, what should I do now? Help!
Post 1
 without knowing exactly what this electrician did, minor electrical work (light fittings etc) seems to be tenants' responsibility, that's my experience and that of many colleagues (as I checked when I arrived to be sure I wasn't making any mistakes). 
so, in my apartment, I've had to buy new lights etc and for someone to come fit them. that was made clear to me by the regie/landlord. I paid about 600 chf in total, for the light fittings (the cheapest I could get) and for the fitting, which I thought was ok. I'll make the next resident an offer  -  either they buy them or I remove them, I don't mind which.
hope that helps. 200 chf for minor work doesn't sound terrible, but you should make clear to your agent/regie/landlord that in future they're going to need to explain this stuff more clearly and that you won't have work done without knowing who's paying.
best regards
 without knowing exactly what this electrician did, minor electrical work (light fittings etc) seems to be tenants' responsibility, that's my experience and that of many colleagues (as I checked when I arrived to be sure I wasn't making any mistakes). 
so, in my apartment, I've had to buy new lights etc and for someone to come fit them. that was made clear to me by the regie/landlord. I paid about 600 chf in total, for the light fittings (the cheapest I could get) and for the fitting, which I thought was ok. I'll make the next resident an offer  -  either they buy them or I remove them, I don't mind which.
hope that helps. 200 chf for minor work doesn't sound terrible, but you should make clear to your agent/regie/landlord that in future they're going to need to explain this stuff more clearly and that you won't have work done without knowing who's paying.
best regards
Guy D, Oct 22, 2009 @ 16:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Oh so the "Swiss" are trying to rob you, is the whole of Switzerland into this plot?

Guy D is right, it's the tenant's responsibility to do minor maintenance work, and pay for it.

Last year, I needed a plumber. I turned to my "Régie" but they reminded me that, as per the lease agreement between them and each of the tenants, I was supposed to pay for the repair work done. Which is fine, except that the plumbing company charged me 2 hours' of work instead of 1 (in fact, it was 12 minutes' work, but I had to pay 1 whole hour at 200.- CHF). I complained about this and they corrected the invoice. But I would never think that the "Swiss" are trying to rob me, in this case it was a particular plumbing company.

I can't believe what is to be read against "the Swiss" on this website. Whether explictly, as here, or implicitly.

Oh so the "Swiss" are trying to rob you, is the whole of Switzerland into this plot?

Guy D is right, it's the tenant's responsibility to do minor maintenance work, and pay for it.

Last year, I needed a plumber. I turned to my "Régie" but they reminded me that, as per the lease agreement between them and each of the tenants, I was supposed to pay for the repair work done. Which is fine, except that the plumbing company charged me 2 hours' of work instead of 1 (in fact, it was 12 minutes' work, but I had to pay 1 whole hour at 200.- CHF). I complained about this and they corrected the invoice. But I would never think that the "Swiss" are trying to rob me, in this case it was a particular plumbing company.

I can't believe what is to be read against "the Swiss" on this website. Whether explictly, as here, or implicitly.

Nadia S, Nov 9, 2009 @ 13:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
best regards
Oct 22, 09 16:33

Yes, I know that if is minor electical work will be tenant's responsibility, the point is that I did not even order the work. Anyway, For principle,I went to a Swiss lawyer and turn out I am right, that is not my bill.

Thank you for your kind support!

Yes, I know that if is minor electical work will be tenant's responsibility, the point is that I did not even order the work. Anyway, For principle,I went to a Swiss lawyer and turn out I am right, that is not my bill.

Thank you for your kind support!

Julie A, Nov 9, 2009 @ 14:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

This has nothing to do with robbery - I don't feel there is any bad intention involved - just bad communication.

Strange, you didn't contact the architect (representing the landlord) in the first place, asking for explanations.

As for the bill, just forward the bill to the architect, you didn't order anything. It would be an error to ignore the bill.

if your contract specifies you are responsible for certain kind of repairs (notably when it is your fault that the plumber has to pass ) the architect/landlord will return you the bill specifying this.

One thing I learned over the years, is to always make sure you have the name, adress and phone number of the people you have to do with - so ask them to write down their name and phone and indeed note the time they arrive and leave. It helps clarify things when needed.

This has nothing to do with robbery - I don't feel there is any bad intention involved - just bad communication.

Strange, you didn't contact the architect (representing the landlord) in the first place, asking for explanations.

As for the bill, just forward the bill to the architect, you didn't order anything. It would be an error to ignore the bill.

if your contract specifies you are responsible for certain kind of repairs (notably when it is your fault that the plumber has to pass ) the architect/landlord will return you the bill specifying this.

One thing I learned over the years, is to always make sure you have the name, adress and phone number of the people you have to do with - so ask them to write down their name and phone and indeed note the time they arrive and leave. It helps clarify things when needed.

jasper, Dec 18, 2009 @ 21:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

sorry to say :) , but we always speak when little electrician try to make money but we can not say anything to those bigger robbers who take a lot of money on the name of insurance and taxes.

thanks

sorry to say :) , but we always speak when little electrician try to make money but we can not say anything to those bigger robbers who take a lot of money on the name of insurance and taxes.

thanks

soulfullofmusic M, Feb 20, 2010 @ 19:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Call your embassy...

Call your embassy...

Casuistik, Feb 20, 2010 @ 20:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 3688 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form