Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Exchange Things > Wanted: Camera advice!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Wanted: Camera advice!

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy my first proper camera! :) ...and I am wondering whether there are any seasoned photographers here happy to give me some expert advice so I will buy the right one for my needs! Coffee/drink on me if you want to get togetehr and share some insights! I'd be supper grateful. :)

Just to note that a few years back I was looking at the 6D as I loved the picture quality and also the size of the camera! I am unsure whether it is still wise to go for this, as this model is a bit older, now. I am keen to learn what alternatives there are out there today. 

Or maybe you know a great store in Geneva with knowledgeable staff, so I can chat to someone there? 

TIA!

Anja

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy my first proper camera! :) ...and I am wondering whether there are any seasoned photographers here happy to give me some expert advice so I will buy the right one for my needs! Coffee/drink on me if you want to get togetehr and share some insights! I'd be supper grateful. :)

Just to note that a few years back I was looking at the 6D as I loved the picture quality and also the size of the camera! I am unsure whether it is still wise to go for this, as this model is a bit older, now. I am keen to learn what alternatives there are out there today. 

Or maybe you know a great store in Geneva with knowledgeable staff, so I can chat to someone there? 

TIA!

Anja

Anja GAug 17, 2020 @ 14:10
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 659 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Wanted: Camera advice!
Post 1

Unless you are a professional photographer who needs a particular feature that is only available in another brand, stick with Canon. I have used Canon, Nikon and Olympus for professional use, with a heavy emphasis in microscopy, and Nikon had a slight edge when it came to the quality of the images. But for my personal use, which is quite heavy and multipurpose, I stuck with Canon. I recently bought an expensive, top of the line Nikon and regreted it after the first day.

It is slightly less user friendly, and the extra seconds it takes me to set it up just for a simple shot has costed me losing great shots.

With my Canons I can use complicated settings, but I can always just point and shoot if I set it in fully automatic mode and it makes all the difference when trying to capture live action. The images are high quality, and I often magnify them considerably, with excellent image resolution.

Get the best Canon you can afford, and remember to get good lenses.

Unless you are a professional photographer who needs a particular feature that is only available in another brand, stick with Canon. I have used Canon, Nikon and Olympus for professional use, with a heavy emphasis in microscopy, and Nikon had a slight edge when it came to the quality of the images. But for my personal use, which is quite heavy and multipurpose, I stuck with Canon. I recently bought an expensive, top of the line Nikon and regreted it after the first day.

It is slightly less user friendly, and the extra seconds it takes me to set it up just for a simple shot has costed me losing great shots.

With my Canons I can use complicated settings, but I can always just point and shoot if I set it in fully automatic mode and it makes all the difference when trying to capture live action. The images are high quality, and I often magnify them considerably, with excellent image resolution.

Get the best Canon you can afford, and remember to get good lenses.

JR M, Aug 17, 2020 @ 17:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Wanted: Camera advice!
Post 2

Hi Alja, my advise would go to a mirrorless camera which'll give you great quality in a much more compact size. I own a Sony 6100, but depending on your need you may prefer a different model.

More important than the camera body would be the lens(es) you want to shoot with, depending on the type of photography you're into.

Hi Alja, my advise would go to a mirrorless camera which'll give you great quality in a much more compact size. I own a Sony 6100, but depending on your need you may prefer a different model.

More important than the camera body would be the lens(es) you want to shoot with, depending on the type of photography you're into.

David S, Aug 23, 2020 @ 01:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 659 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form