Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > 3 Reasons why you should avoid UPC Cablecom

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
3 Reasons why you should avoid UPC Cablecom

I feel it is my duty to share my exprience with UPC Cablecom with the members of this community.

I have been their customer for many years, and today I decided to change to Swisscom.

Reasons:

- The speed of internet is 1/3 of what is claimed by UPC, and sold to customers. I have the 250 Mbit connection, but I never get more than 85 Mbit (note that I am an engineer, and IT professional, to say that I know how to measure, and setup the ideal conditions, i.e. short wire from router, the right RJ45 cable etc)

- The internet connection is not reliable, I would say on average, the connection is off once every month, and it requires me resetting the router and often calling their customer service, spend good 30-45 minutes listening to poor music, before someone helps you to get your connection back on.

- UPC recently asked me whether I would like to combine my Sitel (this is an extra amount of 30 chf I pay per month for the cable infrastructure) bill with UPC. I agreed to combining the bill. A few days later, they send me a letter notifying me of a contract change, with a lower internet speed, and my international free landline phone option cancelled. I then called them a few times, and emailed them a few times, still no answer. Now all of a sudden, they have switched off my tv connection, exactly on the day I need the tv to work, to watch Roger/Nadal tennis match.

In conclusion:

- They lie about their internet speeds, e.g. they claim 250 Mbit, whilst reality is 85 Mbit MAX.

- Their service is interupted periodically and systematically, with a need to reset router.

- They try to trick consumers in unwanted contracts.

PM me if you need more details.

I am not affaliated with any service provider, I am just a customer with no hidden agenda. If UPC reads this message, they are more than welcome to get in touch with me so I can 

The text you are quoting:

I feel it is my duty to share my exprience with UPC Cablecom with the members of this community.

I have been their customer for many years, and today I decided to change to Swisscom.

Reasons:

- The speed of internet is 1/3 of what is claimed by UPC, and sold to customers. I have the 250 Mbit connection, but I never get more than 85 Mbit (note that I am an engineer, and IT professional, to say that I know how to measure, and setup the ideal conditions, i.e. short wire from router, the right RJ45 cable etc)

- The internet connection is not reliable, I would say on average, the connection is off once every month, and it requires me resetting the router and often calling their customer service, spend good 30-45 minutes listening to poor music, before someone helps you to get your connection back on.

- UPC recently asked me whether I would like to combine my Sitel (this is an extra amount of 30 chf I pay per month for the cable infrastructure) bill with UPC. I agreed to combining the bill. A few days later, they send me a letter notifying me of a contract change, with a lower internet speed, and my international free landline phone option cancelled. I then called them a few times, and emailed them a few times, still no answer. Now all of a sudden, they have switched off my tv connection, exactly on the day I need the tv to work, to watch Roger/Nadal tennis match.

In conclusion:

- They lie about their internet speeds, e.g. they claim 250 Mbit, whilst reality is 85 Mbit MAX.

- Their service is interupted periodically and systematically, with a need to reset router.

- They try to trick consumers in unwanted contracts.

PM me if you need more details.

I am not affaliated with any service provider, I am just a customer with no hidden agenda. If UPC reads this message, they are more than welcome to get in touch with me so I can 

Andre GJan 29, 2017 @ 11:56
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 2054 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: 3 Reasons why you should avoid UPC Cablecom
Post 1

It is time for me to part with the UPC Cablecome as am having similar problems for the past year. 

Anyone out there happy with their internet service provider? Any feedback is much appreciated! 

It is time for me to part with the UPC Cablecome as am having similar problems for the past year. 

Anyone out there happy with their internet service provider? Any feedback is much appreciated! 

Ozoda M, Mar 4, 2019 @ 09:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Im with swisscom and never had any problems. They are not the cheapest but i find their customer service to be very good and also in english

Im with swisscom and never had any problems. They are not the cheapest but i find their customer service to be very good and also in english

Maria_, Mar 4, 2019 @ 09:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

By the way, I have Sunrise and often have speed problems and the internet will just stop working briefly sometimes, occasionally the router needs to be reset also. Pretty annoying.

By the way, I have Sunrise and often have speed problems and the internet will just stop working briefly sometimes, occasionally the router needs to be reset also. Pretty annoying.

Sean C, Mar 4, 2019 @ 10:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

It's incredible that there are no roaming charges across the entire EU ... yet in Switzerland not only are the prices incredibly high compared to our EU neighbours, but to use your phone for a few minutes of data just across the border in France is a very expensive mistake!

I find in general the internet / telephone services in Switzerland fall into the category of "Champange budget, Beer quality".

It's incredible that there are no roaming charges across the entire EU ... yet in Switzerland not only are the prices incredibly high compared to our EU neighbours, but to use your phone for a few minutes of data just across the border in France is a very expensive mistake!

I find in general the internet / telephone services in Switzerland fall into the category of "Champange budget, Beer quality".

Sean C, Mar 4, 2019 @ 10:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Do you wanna laugh about roaming charges? This is a screenshot from Sunrise roaming SMS that I got when landing in China ... 21 CHF for 1 MB of data! You read one e-mail with a small attachment, 21 francs! Fuck off Sunrise, come on!

Do you wanna laugh about roaming charges? This is a screenshot from Sunrise roaming SMS that I got when landing in China ... 21 CHF for 1 MB of data! You read one e-mail with a small attachment, 21 francs! Fuck off Sunrise, come on!

ajimenezp, Mar 4, 2019 @ 20:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Mar 4, 19 10:10

This happens to me often with Sunrise. Usually around 40-60 minutes after starting the router, it resysnc and you lose the connection. Pretty annoying if you are downloading something or talking on Skype. In my experience, after this first resync, it can work fine for several days ... or until you power off / power on your router again.

I tried several times to have them solve this issue, they never managed any improvement. 

Other than that I'm happy with Sunrise service :)

This happens to me often with Sunrise. Usually around 40-60 minutes after starting the router, it resysnc and you lose the connection. Pretty annoying if you are downloading something or talking on Skype. In my experience, after this first resync, it can work fine for several days ... or until you power off / power on your router again.

I tried several times to have them solve this issue, they never managed any improvement. 

Other than that I'm happy with Sunrise service :)

ajimenezp, Mar 4, 2019 @ 20:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 2054 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form