Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Advice Needed! The Dreaded État des Lieux

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Advice Needed! The Dreaded État des Lieux

Hi Everyone,

We could sure use some advice! We had our preliminary etat de lieux last week. We expected them to comment on the cracked tiles in the bathroom, damage on our door (all of which for various reasons we are told they are responsible for). He said nothing. In fact, he was in our 4 room apartment for 8 minutes!  Instead he sent a letter this week saying we needed to remove nails, fill holes, paint walls and do a thorough cleaning . Great, right?

And then the letter goes on to say that any damage noticed at the formal Etat de Lieux will be charged to us, that we should contact our insurance company, that if we don't fix these problems in time, they will charge us. 

So he doesn't specify any damage in our letter after the preliminary etat de lieu, but hints at the fact that there will be damage noticed at the formal etat de lieu.

Does anyone have experience with this? Am I being set up? Should I be worried?

Thanks for any help,

no. 38

The text you are quoting:

Hi Everyone,

We could sure use some advice! We had our preliminary etat de lieux last week. We expected them to comment on the cracked tiles in the bathroom, damage on our door (all of which for various reasons we are told they are responsible for). He said nothing. In fact, he was in our 4 room apartment for 8 minutes!  Instead he sent a letter this week saying we needed to remove nails, fill holes, paint walls and do a thorough cleaning . Great, right?

And then the letter goes on to say that any damage noticed at the formal Etat de Lieux will be charged to us, that we should contact our insurance company, that if we don't fix these problems in time, they will charge us. 

So he doesn't specify any damage in our letter after the preliminary etat de lieu, but hints at the fact that there will be damage noticed at the formal etat de lieu.

Does anyone have experience with this? Am I being set up? Should I be worried?

Thanks for any help,

no. 38

no.38Feb 13, 2019 @ 16:05
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 827 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Advice Needed! The Dreaded État des Lieux
Post 1

Well its well known in Geneva, if you move in, you must ensure during your review of the property that the agent or other is making full notes of anything you find. Lets say scratches on walls or paiting, cables excposed, bad kitchen veltilation. You must ensure every little thing is noted, because if not, later the regie can say its cause during your occupation of the unit, and is to be fixed or repaired to the 'same state' as when you moved in. 

(so for warning to all future rentors, ensure you get a full list of items on the move-in sheet, and have the Regie and yourself sign it, only after your sure. And if you find withing a month other issues, you must notify the agency/regie immediatly. 

To be safe, I highly suggest you to get membership with Asloca Immediatly, costs like CHF 50- and they can review the letter, advise and help with disputes.

This is my best advice , I been in Geneva since 1995 so I am very aware of the rental enviroment.

Good luck.

Well its well known in Geneva, if you move in, you must ensure during your review of the property that the agent or other is making full notes of anything you find. Lets say scratches on walls or paiting, cables excposed, bad kitchen veltilation. You must ensure every little thing is noted, because if not, later the regie can say its cause during your occupation of the unit, and is to be fixed or repaired to the 'same state' as when you moved in. 

(so for warning to all future rentors, ensure you get a full list of items on the move-in sheet, and have the Regie and yourself sign it, only after your sure. And if you find withing a month other issues, you must notify the agency/regie immediatly. 

To be safe, I highly suggest you to get membership with Asloca Immediatly, costs like CHF 50- and they can review the letter, advise and help with disputes.

This is my best advice , I been in Geneva since 1995 so I am very aware of the rental enviroment.

Good luck.

Dave G, Feb 13, 2019 @ 16:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Advice Needed! The Dreaded État des Lieux
Post 2

Dave,

Thanks for the response. SmileI should have mentioned we've been in the apartment for over 10 years with no renovations done. So it's a bit of a mystery to us what needs to be repaired.

The obvious problem is the bathroom floor, which was noted on the etat de lieu when we moved in but never fixed. We were a little puzzled when he didn't note it in the preliminary etat de lieu last week.

Yes..you're absolutely right about ASLOCA. We are members. Save having to go back and forth to a lawyer for suspicions I might have, I was hoping someone could tell me if it was normal  to have SO LITTLE mentioned on the preliminary exit. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid. Tongue Out

Thanks again!

Dave,

Thanks for the response. SmileI should have mentioned we've been in the apartment for over 10 years with no renovations done. So it's a bit of a mystery to us what needs to be repaired.

The obvious problem is the bathroom floor, which was noted on the etat de lieu when we moved in but never fixed. We were a little puzzled when he didn't note it in the preliminary etat de lieu last week.

Yes..you're absolutely right about ASLOCA. We are members. Save having to go back and forth to a lawyer for suspicions I might have, I was hoping someone could tell me if it was normal  to have SO LITTLE mentioned on the preliminary exit. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid. Tongue Out

Thanks again!

no.38, Feb 13, 2019 @ 17:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 827 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form