Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Advisor Swiss Insurance - BEWARE OF SCAM

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Advisor Swiss Insurance - BEWARE OF SCAM

Dears,

I'd like to leave this message to all students entering Switzerland.

PLEASE DON'T fall into the trap of Advisor Swiss Insurance (for those who don't know it's an "insurance" company, that call fit the Lamal requirements). Yes, it's cheap. But they are a scam. 

They won't refund your medical bills, even if well surpassed the franchise, though will keep charging you their fees. 

If you need any medical assistance, you will be on your own, don't take that risk. 

In my case, they said they would take three months to refund, then said four, we're now ten months in, and still nothing, yet they refuse to give a date. It's clearly a scam made to take money out of foreigners.

The text you are quoting:

Dears,

I'd like to leave this message to all students entering Switzerland.

PLEASE DON'T fall into the trap of Advisor Swiss Insurance (for those who don't know it's an "insurance" company, that call fit the Lamal requirements). Yes, it's cheap. But they are a scam. 

They won't refund your medical bills, even if well surpassed the franchise, though will keep charging you their fees. 

If you need any medical assistance, you will be on your own, don't take that risk. 

In my case, they said they would take three months to refund, then said four, we're now ten months in, and still nothing, yet they refuse to give a date. It's clearly a scam made to take money out of foreigners.

Filipe GonzagaNov 19, 2019 @ 14:56
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

20 Replies | 4587 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Advisor Swiss Insurance - BEWARE OF SCAM
Post 1

I abolutely second this.
I honestly blame the Swiss authorities for allowing this "insurance" to operate and scam foreign students who usually don't understand how the Swiss health insurance system works upon their arrival and are easy prey for this scam company...
I know people who have been waiting for 2000+ CHF worth or reimbrsement since early 2018...
I personally hired a lawyer, because that's the ONLY way they will pay me back...

I abolutely second this.
I honestly blame the Swiss authorities for allowing this "insurance" to operate and scam foreign students who usually don't understand how the Swiss health insurance system works upon their arrival and are easy prey for this scam company...
I know people who have been waiting for 2000+ CHF worth or reimbrsement since early 2018...
I personally hired a lawyer, because that's the ONLY way they will pay me back...

Safa Z, Dec 21, 2019 @ 13:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hey Safa, maybe it's because the right authorities are not aware.

I've sent a message to the Lamal office, and also a letter to the swiss public ministry. I'd suggest (if you still want justice) to send a letter to them.

I'll get a lawyer to sort it out, as i've +5k in medical bills with them.... Thanks ! 

Hey Safa, maybe it's because the right authorities are not aware.

I've sent a message to the Lamal office, and also a letter to the swiss public ministry. I'd suggest (if you still want justice) to send a letter to them.

I'll get a lawyer to sort it out, as i've +5k in medical bills with them.... Thanks ! 

Filipe Gonzaga, Jan 10, 2020 @ 23:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Filipe,

If you want, I can refer you to my lawyer (he is based in Geneva).

I got my money back in 10 days after he sent them a "lettre de mise en demeure".

Some of my friends did the same, and they were paid back as well.

I hope you're next!

SZ

Hi Filipe,

If you want, I can refer you to my lawyer (he is based in Geneva).

I got my money back in 10 days after he sent them a "lettre de mise en demeure".

Some of my friends did the same, and they were paid back as well.

I hope you're next!

SZ

Safa Z, Jan 11, 2020 @ 10:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi everyone,

I second this aswell. After they confirmed the receipt of medical bills they said that the refund could be made within three months. Four months in with ample unreplied e-mails and phone calls I still haven't received a reimbursement. On top of that all UN and WHO interns are collectively insured through them. Highly unethical to scam sick unpaid interns...

Hi everyone,

I second this aswell. After they confirmed the receipt of medical bills they said that the refund could be made within three months. Four months in with ample unreplied e-mails and phone calls I still haven't received a reimbursement. On top of that all UN and WHO interns are collectively insured through them. Highly unethical to scam sick unpaid interns...

Kasper Blom, Jan 13, 2020 @ 18:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

That is such a shame! I'm sorry that has happened to all of you.

I'm looking at healthcare options and I was considering them. Not anymore! So thank you.

What provider do you now recommend? 

I'm looking at healthcare options and I was considering them. Not anymore! So thank you.

Francis McGuire, Jan 16, 2020 @ 22:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Francis,

Glad you stumbled upon this thread!

Are you a student? If you are, ScoreStudies are a good option.
I personally switched to Groupe Mutuel, a bit more expensive but no hassle.

Hope this helps!

SZ

Hi Francis,

Glad you stumbled upon this thread!

Are you a student? If you are, ScoreStudies are a good option.
I personally switched to Groupe Mutuel, a bit more expensive but no hassle.

Hope this helps!

SZ

Safa Z, Jan 17, 2020 @ 14:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Safa, do you have a copy of the letter? 

Safa, do you have a copy of the letter? 

Filipe Gonzaga, Jan 17, 2020 @ 18:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I do. I will message you privately.

I do. I will message you privately.

Safa Z, Jan 17, 2020 @ 18:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hello

I am just informing everyone here that I am in the same boat. I have sent mutltiple reminders for medical bills that are over 2 years old, and I have more or less lost hope that I will be paid back.

They owe me around 1300 chf, and im affraid a lawyer costs most likely would cost more than this.  Would you be so kind to inform me how much your lawyer charged you

All the best

Hello

I am just informing everyone here that I am in the same boat. I have sent mutltiple reminders for medical bills that are over 2 years old, and I have more or less lost hope that I will be paid back.

They owe me around 1300 chf, and im affraid a lawyer costs most likely would cost more than this.  Would you be so kind to inform me how much your lawyer charged you

All the best

John Snow, Feb 10, 2020 @ 10:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hello Every body

I am working for an international health insurance, Opal Insurance.

So if someone has question or wants more informations, don't hesitate to contact me with pleasure !!

Hello Every body

I am working for an international health insurance, Opal Insurance.

So if someone has question or wants more informations, don't hesitate to contact me with pleasure !!

Rayan Ouafi, Feb 10, 2020 @ 13:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Jan 16, 20 22:44

Hi Francis,

I am working for Opal Insurance, an international health insurance.

If you want we can exchange about that ?

Hi Francis,

I am working for Opal Insurance, an international health insurance.

If you want we can exchange about that ?

Rayan Ouafi, Feb 10, 2020 @ 13:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I fully agree 100%. I've been fighting with them for months to have them both pay the hospital bill they owe from 2018, and a reimbursement for invoices from last year, since apparently they "changed their contract" to having students pay everything upfront and then they will be reimbursed (in an indefinite amount of time, if at all). 

Has anyone cancelled your contract with them, and if so, what kind of documents do you need? I called and was told that I couldn't according to their vague "terms" (which they then sent me a copy from 2014...) but surely someone has? It is only up to them? And also, if you ended up getting out for whatever reason, change of status or getting a full time job, are they still obliged to pay what they owe you? Unfortunately I'm still a low-paid intern so I can't get a lawyer but I would just be happy with switching to a different insurance instead of having to wait until September of this year. 

Also, do anyone know specifically what swiss authority we can contact to complain about them? I agree that they're still running because not enough people have complained officially.

Thank you!!! I'm so glad this thread exists. 

I fully agree 100%. I've been fighting with them for months to have them both pay the hospital bill they owe from 2018, and a reimbursement for invoices from last year, since apparently they "changed their contract" to having students pay everything upfront and then they will be reimbursed (in an indefinite amount of time, if at all). 

Has anyone cancelled your contract with them, and if so, what kind of documents do you need? I called and was told that I couldn't according to their vague "terms" (which they then sent me a copy from 2014...) but surely someone has? It is only up to them? And also, if you ended up getting out for whatever reason, change of status or getting a full time job, are they still obliged to pay what they owe you? Unfortunately I'm still a low-paid intern so I can't get a lawyer but I would just be happy with switching to a different insurance instead of having to wait until September of this year. 

Also, do anyone know specifically what swiss authority we can contact to complain about them? I agree that they're still running because not enough people have complained officially.

Thank you!!! I'm so glad this thread exists. 

Melba Sanchez, Mar 19, 2020 @ 18:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

I have been with Groupe Mutuel (Avenir) for over 30 years and never had a problem with anything.  They always refund quickly after you have spent more than your franchise (the CHF 500 to CHF 5000 that you must pay yourself).   That's why I am not changing to one of the cheap companies even though Groupe Mutuel seems very expensive.

I have been with Groupe Mutuel (Avenir) for over 30 years and never had a problem with anything.  They always refund quickly after you have spent more than your franchise (the CHF 500 to CHF 5000 that you must pay yourself).   That's why I am not changing to one of the cheap companies even though Groupe Mutuel seems very expensive.

Marcus T, Mar 22, 2020 @ 13:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Absolutely agree. From my experience having been with them for couple of years, it is the most ourageous, shameless, disrespectful insurance i have ever seen. You need to terrorise them to be able to obtain any reibursement. On top of that they dont even reply to your emails for months. 

I had cases when i called and talked to them - a worker would say she would follow up and then they disappear.  Everytime it is someone else who is takin over your case. 

I am just stunned that insurances like that are allowed and offered within various universities. 

Absolutely agree. From my experience having been with them for couple of years, it is the most ourageous, shameless, disrespectful insurance i have ever seen. You need to terrorise them to be able to obtain any reibursement. On top of that they dont even reply to your emails for months. 

I had cases when i called and talked to them - a worker would say she would follow up and then they disappear.  Everytime it is someone else who is takin over your case. 

I am just stunned that insurances like that are allowed and offered within various universities. 

ViVi Kai, Jul 28, 2020 @ 10:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

You should use this online comparative website to check the different insurance companies and different options and then deal with the insurance company directly and not go through an intermediary, especially if you are new to Switzerland:

https://en.comparis.ch/krankenkassen/default

Don't forget: the Federal Government sets a national minimum standard. There are variations in prices of course which can be illological for sure. Your year of birth and your postcode also affect the premium. If you work here more than 8 hours per week, there's no need for Accident insurance as it should already be covered in your work contract. 

You should use this online comparative website to check the different insurance companies and different options and then deal with the insurance company directly and not go through an intermediary, especially if you are new to Switzerland:

https://en.comparis.ch/krankenkassen/default

Don't forget: the Federal Government sets a national minimum standard. There are variations in prices of course which can be illological for sure. Your year of birth and your postcode also affect the premium. If you work here more than 8 hours per week, there's no need for Accident insurance as it should already be covered in your work contract. 

Anne-Marie L, Jul 31, 2020 @ 09:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

I had the same issue with them. In 2017, I waited for reimbursement almost 2 years.

Every 3 months I have called them and all the time the same response, you should wait.

The worst insurance company.

I had the same issue with them. In 2017, I waited for reimbursement almost 2 years.

Every 3 months I have called them and all the time the same response, you should wait.

The worst insurance company.

Andy sh, May 3, 2022 @ 14:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

https://swisscare.com/en/product/foreign-student-health-insurance-switzerland

I used Swisscare as a student. Never used it assuming the "franchise" (deductable) was high. but cheap, approved by Lmal and no issues otherwise. 

https://swisscare.com/en/product/foreign-student-health-insurance-switzerland

I used Swisscare as a student. Never used it assuming the "franchise" (deductable) was high. but cheap, approved by Lmal and no issues otherwise. 

Timothy S, May 3, 2022 @ 14:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Hi everyone, 

I thought to update you all on how i handeled my reimboursments from Advisor Insurance after two years of no-reply from them. 

I contacted a lawyer who then  sent them directly a letter which called ''lettre de mise en demeur'' (what i understood from my the lawyer that such letters have formal capacities which can lead to legal consequences, basicaly it's kinda like a legal warning letter). Anyhow the insurance reimboursed me within a week ! 

Hope this help everyone.

Hi everyone, 

I thought to update you all on how i handeled my reimboursments from Advisor Insurance after two years of no-reply from them. 

I contacted a lawyer who then  sent them directly a letter which called ''lettre de mise en demeur'' (what i understood from my the lawyer that such letters have formal capacities which can lead to legal consequences, basicaly it's kinda like a legal warning letter). Anyhow the insurance reimboursed me within a week ! 

Hope this help everyone.

ViVi Kai, May 3, 2022 @ 19:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Hi everyone, 

Hope this help everyone.

May 3, 22 19:38

how much did you pay for the lawyer? 

Timothy S, May 4, 2022 @ 10:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

May 4, 22 10:57

It was part of my legal insurance. But if it's a case of delayed reimboursement it's such an easy thing to do, so a lawyer would charge you for around 1 hour of work (depending on their hourly rate). And you dont need to see the top lawers, search for legal aid in your area that provide affordable services (usually there are called ''permanance juridique'' and charge from 50 to 100 CHF) especially if you are a student/intern etc.

It was part of my legal insurance. But if it's a case of delayed reimboursement it's such an easy thing to do, so a lawyer would charge you for around 1 hour of work (depending on their hourly rate). And you dont need to see the top lawers, search for legal aid in your area that provide affordable services (usually there are called ''permanance juridique'' and charge from 50 to 100 CHF) especially if you are a student/intern etc.

ViVi Kai, May 7, 2022 @ 16:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
20 Replies | 4587 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form