Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > All I wanted to do was bag my groceries...

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
All I wanted to do was bag my groceries...
I was checking out at the grocery store. The cashier noticed that I had lasagne noodles, etc, and said, "Oh, you're making lasagne!"
"Oui" I replied.
She then saw that I had ricotta cheese and asked if I was going to put it into the lasagne.
"Oui" I said.
She looked shocked and appalled and proceeded to tell me that my lasagne was basically going to suck. Then the woman behind me in line decided to chime in and agree with the cashier that my lasagne was, indeed, going to truly suck because the ricotta was going to make it hopelessly dry and awful, and that I was obviously just too lazy to make a bechamel sauce. This dissing of me and my future lasagne continued for the full 5 minutes I checked out and bagged my groceries.
Unfortunately for me (but lucky for these two ladies), I'm at that awkward point in learning a new language where I can understand things that people say to me, but I can't form responses.
Man! Tough crowd at Manor these days.
The text you are quoting:
I was checking out at the grocery store. The cashier noticed that I had lasagne noodles, etc, and said, "Oh, you're making lasagne!"
"Oui" I replied.
She then saw that I had ricotta cheese and asked if I was going to put it into the lasagne.
"Oui" I said.
She looked shocked and appalled and proceeded to tell me that my lasagne was basically going to suck. Then the woman behind me in line decided to chime in and agree with the cashier that my lasagne was, indeed, going to truly suck because the ricotta was going to make it hopelessly dry and awful, and that I was obviously just too lazy to make a bechamel sauce. This dissing of me and my future lasagne continued for the full 5 minutes I checked out and bagged my groceries.
Unfortunately for me (but lucky for these two ladies), I'm at that awkward point in learning a new language where I can understand things that people say to me, but I can't form responses.
Man! Tough crowd at Manor these days.
tiffanyJan 19, 2006 @ 17:00
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 1109 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: All I wanted to do was bag my groceries...
Post 1
In italy we put ricotta cheese in cannelloni and lasagne and the bechamelle on top of it..so,.. they are SO NOT going to suck :)

Don;t mind the swiss... what do they know about lasagne???

Cheers
Val
In italy we put ricotta cheese in cannelloni and lasagne and the bechamelle on top of it..so,.. they are SO NOT going to suck :)

Don;t mind the swiss... what do they know about lasagne???

Cheers
Val
Hoiling, Jan 19, 2006 @ 17:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
im pretty sure they would have understood had you just said "F**k OFF"...people who want to meritlessly criticize the cooking plans of total strangers should be prepared to accept any return abuse they have thrown back at them...
im pretty sure they would have understood had you just said "F**k OFF"...people who want to meritlessly criticize the cooking plans of total strangers should be prepared to accept any return abuse they have thrown back at them...
floydmarks, Jan 19, 2006 @ 17:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
just love Americans!

How we win friends and influence people! :)
just love Americans!

How we win friends and influence people! :)
misskate, Jan 19, 2006 @ 17:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
yeah and in a restaurant in brazil i saw a guy take a knife and thrust it into another guys ear when he pointed out that smoking was "bad"... of course it was an american cigarette so i guess he had it coming, eh?
yeah and in a restaurant in brazil i saw a guy take a knife and thrust it into another guys ear when he pointed out that smoking was "bad"... of course it was an american cigarette so i guess he had it coming, eh?
floydmarks, Jan 19, 2006 @ 17:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
I think the whole world knows about lasagne at this point. Ah well.
The thing about I found strangest in this whole episode was that the women proceeded to have this entire conversation about me and my food in front of me, as if I weren't even there!
It was kind of surreal, especially because it was in French. I kept thinking, "Is this actually happening?" Oh yes. Yes it was. :)
I think the whole world knows about lasagne at this point. Ah well.
The thing about I found strangest in this whole episode was that the women proceeded to have this entire conversation about me and my food in front of me, as if I weren't even there!
It was kind of surreal, especially because it was in French. I kept thinking, "Is this actually happening?" Oh yes. Yes it was. :)
tiffany, Jan 19, 2006 @ 18:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Sorry about your lasagne-did it actually turn out ok?-but your post really made me laugh!(in the good way!)a friend's mother was the wife of the British Ambassador to Vienna -and she said that she could never take the children out without someone coming over and commenting on how they were dressed/behaving-in a quite intimate manner!Vive la difference!-but it still made me laugh!
Sorry about your lasagne-did it actually turn out ok?-but your post really made me laugh!(in the good way!)a friend's mother was the wife of the British Ambassador to Vienna -and she said that she could never take the children out without someone coming over and commenting on how they were dressed/behaving-in a quite intimate manner!Vive la difference!-but it still made me laugh!
hitchcockblo, Jan 19, 2006 @ 20:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
in both cases, your suggestion and example, they were disproportionate and over the top.

That's all.

And I know humor gets lost in this medium and apparently Dale Carnegie references do, too. But I put a smiley on my post.

Here's another one :) Have a great weekend.

in both cases, your suggestion and example, they were disproportionate and over the top.

That's all.

And I know humor gets lost in this medium and apparently Dale Carnegie references do, too. But I put a smiley on my post.

Here's another one :) Have a great weekend.

misskate, Jan 20, 2006 @ 13:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
U don't put ricotta in lasagna!
:-*
U don't put ricotta in lasagna!
:-*
Stef__Granny, Jan 20, 2006 @ 18:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
U R going to get your ear stabbed!
Sorry people! That's a religious issue! U DO NOT put ricotta in lasagne :-P
U R going to get your ear stabbed!
Sorry people! That's a religious issue! U DO NOT put ricotta in lasagne :-P
Stef__Granny, Jan 20, 2006 @ 18:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
... but the traditional one has no Ricotta in it!
Tiff, I'm sure your ricotta-lasagna was fantastic, but I'd judge better after trying it! ;-)
... but the traditional one has no Ricotta in it!
Tiff, I'm sure your ricotta-lasagna was fantastic, but I'd judge better after trying it! ;-)
Stef__Granny, Jan 20, 2006 @ 19:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
u do it with the same filling as cannelloni!!

That;s 2 card for not knowing it

Val
u do it with the same filling as cannelloni!!

That;s 2 card for not knowing it

Val
Hoiling, Jan 23, 2006 @ 02:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
... compared to your aggressive posting :-P
I'm covered with cards!!!
Ciao
S
... compared to your aggressive posting :-P
I'm covered with cards!!!
Ciao
S
Stef__Granny, Jan 25, 2006 @ 16:32
Your Reply: