Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Apple pie for ‘International Day’ celebration

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Apple pie for ‘International Day’ celebration

Does anyone know where I can find an apple pie for an International Day celebratio? I’ve been asked to come dressed in my national costume and to bring a national dish. As a US citizen, this is a difficult request. My ‘national costume‘ will be a baseball jersey and cap. I couldn’t come up with a national dish. Hamburgers and hot dogs (frankfurters) are technically German in origin. So, the next best thing I could come up with was apple pie, but I’m having difficulties locating one. I’ll need it by Thursday afternoo.

The text you are quoting:

Does anyone know where I can find an apple pie for an International Day celebratio? I’ve been asked to come dressed in my national costume and to bring a national dish. As a US citizen, this is a difficult request. My ‘national costume‘ will be a baseball jersey and cap. I couldn’t come up with a national dish. Hamburgers and hot dogs (frankfurters) are technically German in origin. So, the next best thing I could come up with was apple pie, but I’m having difficulties locating one. I’ll need it by Thursday afternoo.

James FSep 11, 2018 @ 13:31
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 684 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Apple pie for ‘International Day’ celebration
Post 1

Ok, I don’t know why the letter ‘n’ has disappeared in several words?

Ok, I don’t know why the letter ‘n’ has disappeared in several words?

James F, Sep 11, 2018 @ 13:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

The first record of apple pies is Jeffrey Chaucer's recipe published in 1381, way before Christopher Columbus was born and when the buffalo roamed the plains peacefully. The Dutch were baking them in the middle ages and there is a recipe in a 1514 cookbook. It was brought into the english colonies by British, Dutch and Swede settlers during the 17th and 18th centuries. If you have travelled in Europe you may have noticed that there is even a French version (not covered, but the same basic ingredients).

So much for the expression"as American as apple pie".

So, your best bet is to make a run to the Ikea in Vernier and buy some ÄPPELKAKA in their food section.

You are safe with the baseball cap, just make sure that you chew plenty of gum, even if General Poinsett brought it from Mexico into the US, where it caught on. Do bring all your weapons with you. Your compatriots own half of the world's guns (an estimated 310 million privately-owned guns) even though you are only 5% of the world's population. This does not include clandestine guns.

The first record of apple pies is Jeffrey Chaucer's recipe published in 1381, way before Christopher Columbus was born and when the buffalo roamed the plains peacefully. The Dutch were baking them in the middle ages and there is a recipe in a 1514 cookbook. It was brought into the english colonies by British, Dutch and Swede settlers during the 17th and 18th centuries. If you have travelled in Europe you may have noticed that there is even a French version (not covered, but the same basic ingredients).

So, your best bet is to make a run to the Ikea in Vernier and buy some ÄPPELKAKA in their food section.

You are safe with the baseball cap, just make sure that you chew plenty of gum, even if General Poinsett brought it from Mexico into the US, where it caught on. Do bring all your weapons with you. Your compatriots own half of the world's guns (an estimated 310 million privately-owned guns) even though you are only 5% of the world's population. This does not include clandestine guns.

JR M, Sep 11, 2018 @ 16:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Sep 11, 18 16:21

Thank you for all this interesting input JR M.

Just one little point though:  did you mean to say “English-speaking colonies by …"

Sorry to nit-pick but can't resist.

Best regards, R.

Just one little point though:  did you mean to say “English-speaking colonies by …"

Best regards, R.

Ritchie, Sep 11, 2018 @ 22:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

JR,

Thank you for the history of the apple pie. See, I can't find ANY national dish exclusively from the US. I'll figure something out.

James

JR,

Thank you for the history of the apple pie. See, I can't find ANY national dish exclusively from the US. I'll figure something out.

James

James F, Sep 11, 2018 @ 22:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Best regards, R.

Sep 11, 18 22:29

It was one of several grammatical errors. I will let you find the others Smile

It was one of several grammatical errors. I will let you find the others Smile

JR M, Sep 11, 2018 @ 23:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

JR,

James

Sep 11, 18 22:51

It is indeed difficult, it being a relatively young country/culture. From what I can gather, a bucket of KFC from the outlet near Cornavin would probably be the closest thing to a distinctive national dish, since there is no official "national dish". To my knowledge, only the scottish fried their chicken, as in other cultures it was boiled or baked, but they did not add spices to it. It was apparently scottish immigrants to the southern states who introduced it there, and "forced" african migrants (to put it elegantly) who introduced the uses of spices and created Southern Fried Chicken. So, it was not his culinary, but marketing skills, that distinguished Colonel Sanders.

It is indeed difficult, it being a relatively young country/culture. From what I can gather, a bucket of KFC from the outlet near Cornavin would probably be the closest thing to a distinctive national dish, since there is no official "national dish". To my knowledge, only the scottish fried their chicken, as in other cultures it was boiled or baked, but they did not add spices to it. It was apparently scottish immigrants to the southern states who introduced it there, and "forced" african migrants (to put it elegantly) who introduced the uses of spices and created Southern Fried Chicken. So, it was not his culinary, but marketing skills, that distinguished Colonel Sanders.

JR M, Sep 11, 2018 @ 23:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken

V N, Sep 12, 2018 @ 13:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Sep 12, 18 13:53

I think Wikipedia also states that, when his mother had to go out to work to supplement the family income, the Colonel started cooking for his younger siblings when he was seven.  If so, he was into catering at an early age and the business acumen was acquired later after a series of quite menial jobs.

I think Wikipedia also states that, when his mother had to go out to work to supplement the family income, the Colonel started cooking for his younger siblings when he was seven.  If so, he was into catering at an early age and the business acumen was acquired later after a series of quite menial jobs.

Ritchie, Sep 12, 2018 @ 14:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 684 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form