Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Boxing / Muay Thai / Krav Maga

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Boxing / Muay Thai / Krav Maga

Hello,

Can anyone advise me where I can practice any of these activities (boxing, muay thai or krav maga) in a centre that has all the necessary equipment?

Do you also have any idea of prices?

Thank you for your suggestions

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

Can anyone advise me where I can practice any of these activities (boxing, muay thai or krav maga) in a centre that has all the necessary equipment?

Do you also have any idea of prices?

Thank you for your suggestions

Joao CJul 8, 2016 @ 17:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 2028 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Boxing / Muay Thai / Krav Maga
Post 1

Lausanne?

Try

www.fight-district.ch

I go four times a week and do MMA and Jits. They are super friendly and there are some serious cats you can spar with.....when youre ready ;-)

Lausanne?

Try

www.fight-district.ch

I go four times a week and do MMA and Jits. They are super friendly and there are some serious cats you can spar with.....when youre ready ;-)

Max B, Jul 9, 2016 @ 19:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

For Geneve, here are 2 venues:

http://www.kravmagageneve.ch/france/Default.aspx?val=Default&st=PmAccueil

(in the city center)

and

http://www.kravmagageneve.com/

(not far away from the airport area)

For Geneve, here are 2 venues:

http://www.kravmagageneve.ch/france/Default.aspx?val=Default&st=PmAccueil

(in the city center)

and

http://www.kravmagageneve.com/

(not far away from the airport area)

Ruf S, Jul 10, 2016 @ 16:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hey

thanks for your responses.

My intention here is to find a place that allows me to do gym training and also a combat sports training so that I won't need to pay for a monthly subscription in 2 gyms. In my country I was able to do Box, Krav and gym for 80€ so I was able to attend more than 1 gym.

Here I'm trying to avoid to pay a montly subscription of 250 CHF to have gym and training.

In any of your suggestions is there a normal circuit for muscular training with free wheights, weight lifting machines etc?

Thank you

Hey

thanks for your responses.

My intention here is to find a place that allows me to do gym training and also a combat sports training so that I won't need to pay for a monthly subscription in 2 gyms. In my country I was able to do Box, Krav and gym for 80€ so I was able to attend more than 1 gym.

Here I'm trying to avoid to pay a montly subscription of 250 CHF to have gym and training.

In any of your suggestions is there a normal circuit for muscular training with free wheights, weight lifting machines etc?

Thank you

Joao C, Jul 11, 2016 @ 16:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hey Joao!

I am looking for the same! Let me know if you know of any that does not require monthly subsciption. Cheers!

Hey Joao!

I am looking for the same! Let me know if you know of any that does not require monthly subsciption. Cheers!

Ruby L, Aug 2, 2016 @ 10:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

http://genevaboxing.ch/ -there is a group boxing training with elements of krav maga and muay - thai

http://genevaboxing.ch/ -there is a group boxing training with elements of krav maga and muay - thai

Kris R, Oct 5, 2016 @ 01:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Hi Brett,

I really like your perspective, I'll allow myself to add couple of comments as a self-defense instructor in the Boxing and Self-Defense club in Geneva for the last almost 6 years:

1. I used to organize women self-defense seminars (10 seminars only open for women, 1h each, every week). This was a good business as there was a lot of interest. Every time we trained something different (punches, kicks, chokes, grappling, weapon, etc.).

For my last group I've decided to organize an exam. I was schocked to see that only 25% of women were able to defend themselves. And I believe, in a street with real opponent this rate of survival would be even lower after some time passed after our trainings.

From that moment I do only regular self-defense classes, private of group. If group, then mixed. Interest is lower, but at least I have a clear mind that people training can really use the skills and they can even test them during self-defense sparrings (i.e. in a helmet with a mask, groin guard, sometimes shin guards  BUT no gloves at all as it gives a fake feeling like in boxing or even MMA). 

2. I would not neglect the usability of martial arts (i.e. by martial art I mean everything what is NOT a self-defense system, like boxing, MMA, karate, judo, etc.). They help to practice reflex, getting used to punches, improve fitness, etc. (like Brett said). And as long as you do sparrings, this can help your self-defense. 

But of course you should be not too brave in a street(like e.g. were 5 women, that landed in a hospital after beeing brutally beaten by 10 men in Geneva 1 month ago). Someone can do very well in a ring or octagon, but it does not mean that he can be able to defend against multiple attackers, against a knife or do a roundhouse on a snow, etc. 

So like Brett said, training in a scenario is crucial (out of ring, in different conditions).

E.g. Sometime I like to show some self-defense techniques when I drink a beer with my students. And I was once very close to putting on high heels to help women in this scenario:)

3. I have trained with a former commando instructor of unit 56, mayor Arek Kups, together with police and army. We had even Gandarmie from France and prison guards from Czech Republic. During one of our trainings the mayor said that he didn't believe in a self-defense against a knife if you would have someone in front of you who knew how to use it. And when aggressor has a fire arm, normally people die, even if they performed very well during a training, just because of a psychological shock.   

But he said that it is still good to train that because if you have no other option (you gave away your money, but they want to take you somewhere, they threaten to kill you or your children anyway, psychopaths etc.) it is better than knowing nothing.

And it is good to ask yourself some questions in advance what would you be ready to sacrafice for an attacker because when it happens, most persons under stress take an irrational decision.

Just in case of knife or pistol it is not a self-defense but rather self-survival, i.e. if you got couple of times cut with a knife away from vains and can open your eyes the next day, you passed.

Btw. some of my students admitted to carry a knife. And more and more carambits are being sold. And I have noticed that quite a few know how a Glock works. So it would be really stupid in Geneva to play "a brave person". 

4. Totally agree regarding YouTube. I mean if someone wants to remind him/herself a technique that he/she trained during a krav-maga/Systema/Combat 56 (or any other self-defense) training, then that's OK, but learning from YouTube is like learning a foreign language w/o ever going to the country that they speak it - expect unexpected.

Sorry for a long comment, I will try to put some thoughts into one of my Vlogs on YT.

And Brett, we need to drink a beer :)

Hi Brett,

I really like your perspective, I'll allow myself to add couple of comments as a self-defense instructor in the Boxing and Self-Defense club in Geneva for the last almost 6 years:

1. I used to organize women self-defense seminars (10 seminars only open for women, 1h each, every week). This was a good business as there was a lot of interest. Every time we trained something different (punches, kicks, chokes, grappling, weapon, etc.).

For my last group I've decided to organize an exam. I was schocked to see that only 25% of women were able to defend themselves. And I believe, in a street with real opponent this rate of survival would be even lower after some time passed after our trainings.

From that moment I do only regular self-defense classes, private of group. If group, then mixed. Interest is lower, but at least I have a clear mind that people training can really use the skills and they can even test them during self-defense sparrings (i.e. in a helmet with a mask, groin guard, sometimes shin guards  BUT no gloves at all as it gives a fake feeling like in boxing or even MMA). 

2. I would not neglect the usability of martial arts (i.e. by martial art I mean everything what is NOT a self-defense system, like boxing, MMA, karate, judo, etc.). They help to practice reflex, getting used to punches, improve fitness, etc. (like Brett said). And as long as you do sparrings, this can help your self-defense. 

But of course you should be not too brave in a street(like e.g. were 5 women, that landed in a hospital after beeing brutally beaten by 10 men in Geneva 1 month ago). Someone can do very well in a ring or octagon, but it does not mean that he can be able to defend against multiple attackers, against a knife or do a roundhouse on a snow, etc. 

So like Brett said, training in a scenario is crucial (out of ring, in different conditions).

E.g. Sometime I like to show some self-defense techniques when I drink a beer with my students. And I was once very close to putting on high heels to help women in this scenario:)

3. I have trained with a former commando instructor of unit 56, mayor Arek Kups, together with police and army. We had even Gandarmie from France and prison guards from Czech Republic. During one of our trainings the mayor said that he didn't believe in a self-defense against a knife if you would have someone in front of you who knew how to use it. And when aggressor has a fire arm, normally people die, even if they performed very well during a training, just because of a psychological shock.   

But he said that it is still good to train that because if you have no other option (you gave away your money, but they want to take you somewhere, they threaten to kill you or your children anyway, psychopaths etc.) it is better than knowing nothing.

And it is good to ask yourself some questions in advance what would you be ready to sacrafice for an attacker because when it happens, most persons under stress take an irrational decision.

Just in case of knife or pistol it is not a self-defense but rather self-survival, i.e. if you got couple of times cut with a knife away from vains and can open your eyes the next day, you passed.

Btw. some of my students admitted to carry a knife. And more and more carambits are being sold. And I have noticed that quite a few know how a Glock works. So it would be really stupid in Geneva to play "a brave person". 

4. Totally agree regarding YouTube. I mean if someone wants to remind him/herself a technique that he/she trained during a krav-maga/Systema/Combat 56 (or any other self-defense) training, then that's OK, but learning from YouTube is like learning a foreign language w/o ever going to the country that they speak it - expect unexpected.

Sorry for a long comment, I will try to put some thoughts into one of my Vlogs on YT.

And Brett, we need to drink a beer :)

Kris R, Nov 15, 2018 @ 22:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi,

I am also looking for regular kickboxing/muay thai trainings. Let me know if you find any good resources/venues.

Thanks,

Wendy

Hi,

I am also looking for regular kickboxing/muay thai trainings. Let me know if you find any good resources/venues.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy LI, Nov 16, 2018 @ 19:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Wendy,

I am a trainer in Muay-Thai as well, but since some people started to have a problem with a knee (mostly miniscus degeneration) I started to offer this martial art only as a private training. 

Hi Wendy,

I am a trainer in Muay-Thai as well, but since some people started to have a problem with a knee (mostly miniscus degeneration) I started to offer this martial art only as a private training. 

Kris R, Nov 16, 2018 @ 21:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Probably tough to find all of that in once place, at least if you want good training and instruction. Most martial arts places I know of & have been too might offer boxing and muay thai, but you don't really find Krav Maga in those places. 

Probably tough to find all of that in once place, at least if you want good training and instruction. Most martial arts places I know of & have been too might offer boxing and muay thai, but you don't really find Krav Maga in those places. 

Greg B, Nov 30, 2018 @ 21:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 2028 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form