Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Buy an apartment while residence permit under renewal

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Buy an apartment while residence permit under renewal

Hello,

I have searched the internet for some time but couldn't find a similar case as mine. So me and wife are both non-EU nationals, working in Geneva on B permits. Two years ago, we signed a "promesse de vente" (sale agreement) with a real estate developer to buy an off-plan apartment. This month, the construction is finally completed and the apartment is supposed to be delivered to us soon. Now we need to sign the formal contract to conclude the deal.

In the meantime, we have applied for C permits and we have yet to receive an answer from the immigration office. Now our B permits have expired, but the notary told us that we have to have a valid residence permit in order to sign the contract. It sounds like if we don't hold a residence permit, we don't have the right to buy a property. But we are just waiting to receive the permit. Even if our application for C permits is rejected, we should still get our B permits anyway. Does anyone know what to do in this case? Did any of you have a similar experience?

Many thanks in advance.

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

I have searched the internet for some time but couldn't find a similar case as mine. So me and wife are both non-EU nationals, working in Geneva on B permits. Two years ago, we signed a "promesse de vente" (sale agreement) with a real estate developer to buy an off-plan apartment. This month, the construction is finally completed and the apartment is supposed to be delivered to us soon. Now we need to sign the formal contract to conclude the deal.

In the meantime, we have applied for C permits and we have yet to receive an answer from the immigration office. Now our B permits have expired, but the notary told us that we have to have a valid residence permit in order to sign the contract. It sounds like if we don't hold a residence permit, we don't have the right to buy a property. But we are just waiting to receive the permit. Even if our application for C permits is rejected, we should still get our B permits anyway. Does anyone know what to do in this case? Did any of you have a similar experience?

Many thanks in advance.

Yan LNov 4, 2023 @ 17:48
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 361 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Buy an apartment while residence permit under renewal
Post 1

yes if it is going to be your residence principale 

https://notaires-geneve.ch/fr/activites-immobilier-je-suis-etranger

yes if it is going to be your residence principale 

https://notaires-geneve.ch/fr/activites-immobilier-je-suis-etranger

Anne w, Nov 5, 2023 @ 19:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Buy an apartment while residence permit under renewal
Post 2

I am sure that you can obtain from OCPM a letter stating that you currently have a valid B permit and that the process of issuance of a new permit is ongoing.

I have heard that OCPM delivers such documents when people in the same situation need to travel abroad.

The notary must make sure that you have a valid residence permit in Geneva because foreign non-residents are not allowed to purchase residential real estate in Geneva. 

I am sure that you can obtain from OCPM a letter stating that you currently have a valid B permit and that the process of issuance of a new permit is ongoing.

I have heard that OCPM delivers such documents when people in the same situation need to travel abroad.

The notary must make sure that you have a valid residence permit in Geneva because foreign non-residents are not allowed to purchase residential real estate in Geneva. 

Alexandre P, Nov 9, 2023 @ 17:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 361 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form