Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Car Rental Damage Dispute, help please. :(

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Car Rental Damage Dispute, help please. :(

Hi,

Today I received a damage charges on my debit card from Enterprise Car Rentals (at Geneva Airport) stating that the damage was done due to wrong refueling (the car was a Diesel SUV).

I rented the car about a month ago (with full insurance cover - sadly wrong refueling is not covered by that insurance, which I knew about prior to receiving the car). The car was new and we received it with a full tank. Since it's not my first time renting a car, I tool pictures and video of the car before renting. We drove about 150kms in it before the engine broke down. Naturally, we got it towed. I even have a video of the unharmed car at the time time of towing.

Later in the evening after a long hassle ridden day, I created a ticket informing them in detail how the events transpired and clearly stating that we never even refuelled the car. Who refuels a full tank rental car at the beginning of the journey??? that too after driving less than 150kms?? 

But, they never responded to the ticket.

Now a month later after the car may have been repaired first they charged me 1283 CHF for the "Rong refuelling" (wrong misspelt in their invoice email) and additionally another 415 CHF (for which they have not even provided any invoice). I have opened a ticket with them regarding this dispute again. However, seening their track record of responding to their "tickets", I don't think they give a flying f**k about it.

I wish to dispute this claim and possibly take legal action. Has anyone had any experience in disputing such a claim? Please help.

Any advice, legal consultation would help a lot. Thank you _/\_ 

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

Today I received a damage charges on my debit card from Enterprise Car Rentals (at Geneva Airport) stating that the damage was done due to wrong refueling (the car was a Diesel SUV).

I rented the car about a month ago (with full insurance cover - sadly wrong refueling is not covered by that insurance, which I knew about prior to receiving the car). The car was new and we received it with a full tank. Since it's not my first time renting a car, I tool pictures and video of the car before renting. We drove about 150kms in it before the engine broke down. Naturally, we got it towed. I even have a video of the unharmed car at the time time of towing.

Later in the evening after a long hassle ridden day, I created a ticket informing them in detail how the events transpired and clearly stating that we never even refuelled the car. Who refuels a full tank rental car at the beginning of the journey??? that too after driving less than 150kms?? 

Now a month later after the car may have been repaired first they charged me 1283 CHF for the "Rong refuelling" (wrong misspelt in their invoice email) and additionally another 415 CHF (for which they have not even provided any invoice). I have opened a ticket with them regarding this dispute again. However, seening their track record of responding to their "tickets", I don't think they give a flying f**k about it.

I wish to dispute this claim and possibly take legal action. Has anyone had any experience in disputing such a claim? Please help.

Amitabh YAug 28, 2023 @ 12:31
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 598 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Car Rental Damage Dispute, help please. :(
Post 1

Hi,

Aug 28, 23 12:31

Please check your Inbox for a message.

R.

Please check your Inbox for a message.

R.

Ritchie, Aug 28, 2023 @ 13:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I could literally copy and paste most of this thread.  I hope that you were able to resolve this dispute because I'm running out of options.

Very similarly, I rented a car from Alamo (it seems like they are all owned by Helvetic Motion) and the car started running rough as soon as we crossed the border into Austria.  Fortunately, I was able to make it to my hotel in Austria but after that the car would not start.  

I submitted multiple tickets and made multiple attempts to contact Alamo when the car started running rough.  There was no reply. 

I finally received a call back the day after my issue started and was told by Alamo that they would not provide a replacement vehicle, I would be responsible for the cost of towing the vehicle, and I would be responsible for a full 3 day rental even though the car broke down after one day.  

I had to rent another vehicle to use on the mountain, stay an extra night to figure out transportation, and pay for transportation from Austria back to Switzerland.

True to their promise, Enterprise billed me for towing charges about a month later....

Please let me know if you were able to find a solution to your issue!  I find it hard to beleive that I should be responsible for paying a full 3 day rental AND towing service to get the car to the garage. 

Thanks for bringing this up!

I could literally copy and paste most of this thread.  I hope that you were able to resolve this dispute because I'm running out of options.

Very similarly, I rented a car from Alamo (it seems like they are all owned by Helvetic Motion) and the car started running rough as soon as we crossed the border into Austria.  Fortunately, I was able to make it to my hotel in Austria but after that the car would not start.  

I submitted multiple tickets and made multiple attempts to contact Alamo when the car started running rough.  There was no reply. 

I finally received a call back the day after my issue started and was told by Alamo that they would not provide a replacement vehicle, I would be responsible for the cost of towing the vehicle, and I would be responsible for a full 3 day rental even though the car broke down after one day.  

I had to rent another vehicle to use on the mountain, stay an extra night to figure out transportation, and pay for transportation from Austria back to Switzerland.

True to their promise, Enterprise billed me for towing charges about a month later....

Please let me know if you were able to find a solution to your issue!  I find it hard to beleive that I should be responsible for paying a full 3 day rental AND towing service to get the car to the garage. 

Thanks for bringing this up!

Ralph G, Feb 14, 2024 @ 17:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I'm so sorry to hear that. It is messed up how quick they are to charge you for the damages even when you are not at fault. That's why I never rent without full insurance.

To share my two cents.. yes I did get the issue resolved. I kept on emailing them (once every two days) with the complete description of the events. Each time they would simply issue a new ticket number from their mailing system. And every next email I would reattach all the previous ticket numbers along with the description of the event. eventually someone got back to me, so it was resolved. Sometime in between they shared the invoice of the charges they had put on my card along with other details as to how much distance I had covered, how much fuel was left in the tank etc. Based on this, I also wrote them an email proving that based on the distance travelled and fuel missing, they can clearly see that no refuelling was done during my journey. moreover, if they have gps logs they can check that the car never stopped at any gas stations. point is, get mathematical and try conclusively prove that you were not at fault anywhere during the journey. at least that's what the layer consultation suggested to me as well.

in geneva, i can't remember which place I was planning to consult, but you can refer to the following website :
https://justice.ge.ch/en/content/legal-advice-service-and-legal-counsels

I'm so sorry to hear that. It is messed up how quick they are to charge you for the damages even when you are not at fault. That's why I never rent without full insurance.

To share my two cents.. yes I did get the issue resolved. I kept on emailing them (once every two days) with the complete description of the events. Each time they would simply issue a new ticket number from their mailing system. And every next email I would reattach all the previous ticket numbers along with the description of the event. eventually someone got back to me, so it was resolved. Sometime in between they shared the invoice of the charges they had put on my card along with other details as to how much distance I had covered, how much fuel was left in the tank etc. Based on this, I also wrote them an email proving that based on the distance travelled and fuel missing, they can clearly see that no refuelling was done during my journey. moreover, if they have gps logs they can check that the car never stopped at any gas stations. point is, get mathematical and try conclusively prove that you were not at fault anywhere during the journey. at least that's what the layer consultation suggested to me as well.

in geneva, i can't remember which place I was planning to consult, but you can refer to the following website :
https://justice.ge.ch/en/content/legal-advice-service-and-legal-counsels

Amitabh Y, Feb 15, 2024 @ 00:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 598 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form