Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Death in th Co-op

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Death in th Co-op

I was at the Coop this evening and found two police cars and an ambulance outside when i arrived.Inside I found an area closed off with police and paramedics inside,and saw someone trying to do artificial respiration.

Everything was closed off with partitions showing Coop publicity Frown

As I went around the shop,everything was normal,even the inane publicity recordings played over the loudspeaker,and the stupid music.At the same time,someone's life was on the line.

When I got to the check out,it seemed as if the person had died in the closed off area.But it was done as if this had nothing to do with the life of the shop.

When i left the shop,very shaken,I saw the ambulance stationary,like nothing was happening,which confirmed my fears-no urgency to get to the hospital,so......

I found it so shoddy of the Coop to continue with "business as usual" as if the person who,it seems,had died,was insignificant.Police were even telling people not to stay around where the partitions were ,whilst the attempt to resussitate was in progress (though,in fact,they had every right to stay there- maybe they even cared about what happened to the victim?)

Once home,I wanted to write to the Coop to express my disgust t their lack of respect....but of course the site gives no way to send such a message.Does anyone have any ideas a to how I might achieve my aim?I was profoundly disturbed by the lack of humanity in what i witnessed and it kind of fits in with the way in which,in Lausanne,death is very hidden.One never notices a funeral procession.

In this instance,the person was in the shop,a busy place,and at a busy time of day.However,it was all hidden,and life went on as if that person didn't matter.I found it terribly disrespectful and i would like to make my feelings known to the Coop concerned.

Any ideas?

The text you are quoting:

I was at the Coop this evening and found two police cars and an ambulance outside when i arrived.Inside I found an area closed off with police and paramedics inside,and saw someone trying to do artificial respiration.

Everything was closed off with partitions showing Coop publicity Frown

As I went around the shop,everything was normal,even the inane publicity recordings played over the loudspeaker,and the stupid music.At the same time,someone's life was on the line.

When I got to the check out,it seemed as if the person had died in the closed off area.But it was done as if this had nothing to do with the life of the shop.

When i left the shop,very shaken,I saw the ambulance stationary,like nothing was happening,which confirmed my fears-no urgency to get to the hospital,so......

I found it so shoddy of the Coop to continue with "business as usual" as if the person who,it seems,had died,was insignificant.Police were even telling people not to stay around where the partitions were ,whilst the attempt to resussitate was in progress (though,in fact,they had every right to stay there- maybe they even cared about what happened to the victim?)

Once home,I wanted to write to the Coop to express my disgust t their lack of respect....but of course the site gives no way to send such a message.Does anyone have any ideas a to how I might achieve my aim?I was profoundly disturbed by the lack of humanity in what i witnessed and it kind of fits in with the way in which,in Lausanne,death is very hidden.One never notices a funeral procession.

In this instance,the person was in the shop,a busy place,and at a busy time of day.However,it was all hidden,and life went on as if that person didn't matter.I found it terribly disrespectful and i would like to make my feelings known to the Coop concerned.

Any ideas?

buzzcocksMay 23, 2019 @ 20:14
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 866 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Death in th Co-op
Post 1

Hello Buzzcocks, I don‘t know how to help you, but I fully understand how you feel. A few years ago and specifically the day of Christmas eve, I went to a big supermarket to do some last minute shopping, and when I arrived I was stunned that a person lay face down with the bags of the purchase even in their hands, hundreds of people entered and left the establishment and not a single one stopped to see what happened. I called a security guard and together we went to check his condition, luckily that man recovered, but I was totally indignant with the inhumanity that ravages our days, that night all those people surely celebrated the spirit of Christmas.

Hello Buzzcocks, I don‘t know how to help you, but I fully understand how you feel. A few years ago and specifically the day of Christmas eve, I went to a big supermarket to do some last minute shopping, and when I arrived I was stunned that a person lay face down with the bags of the purchase even in their hands, hundreds of people entered and left the establishment and not a single one stopped to see what happened. I called a security guard and together we went to check his condition, luckily that man recovered, but I was totally indignant with the inhumanity that ravages our days, that night all those people surely celebrated the spirit of Christmas.
Pierre G, May 23, 2019 @ 21:02

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks for sharing that.My main problem here was the attitude of the COMPANY - it displayed such indifference.

Individuals one might forgive....they are afraid and unsure how to react ( is the person faking it?- i have seen that happen,in the case of a beggar! Or,do they have a drug problem?Or a mental health problem?)

But a company,with all its ressources? I found it's handling of the situation very cheap and lacking in humanity.I would really like to know how to directly contact the person i need to.The website presents an impenetrable facade- and the possibilities for questions one can put are only  about ............products (!!!) How telling!

Thanks for sharing that.My main problem here was the attitude of the COMPANY - it displayed such indifference.

Individuals one might forgive....they are afraid and unsure how to react ( is the person faking it?- i have seen that happen,in the case of a beggar! Or,do they have a drug problem?Or a mental health problem?)

But a company,with all its ressources? I found it's handling of the situation very cheap and lacking in humanity.I would really like to know how to directly contact the person i need to.The website presents an impenetrable facade- and the possibilities for questions one can put are only  about ............products (!!!) How telling!

buzzcocks, May 23, 2019 @ 21:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi. Sorry to hear that Embarassed

Sometimes I write to Coop (when I m not happy with the products) through the following email and they send directly to the Coop which is concerned. Maybe they will send to the shop in Lausanne :

[email protected]

Try and let me know.

Take care.

Sarah

Hi. Sorry to hear that Embarassed

Sometimes I write to Coop (when I m not happy with the products) through the following email and they send directly to the Coop which is concerned. Maybe they will send to the shop in Lausanne :

[email protected]

Try and let me know.

Take care.

Sarah

sarah -, May 23, 2019 @ 22:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Many thanks for that! Very useful. I will try and see what happens. Thank you very much ;-)

Many thanks for that! Very useful. I will try and see what happens. Thank you very much ;-)

buzzcocks, May 23, 2019 @ 22:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I understand what you're saying, but I totally disagree. If the Police is there, then the victim is taken care of.

And the best way to save the victim's dignity is precisely to insure that he/she can have some privacy.

Imagine the pain of the family if they learn that some aholes found it very exciting to take a nice little vid of the last moments of their relative...

Now about the company... Sure it's a tragedy when someone dies. Does it mean that all the customers have to be punished? If someone dies in the airport, how many flights should they cancel?

Nothing against the way you felt about the situation... of course... But I genuinely see it very differently...

I understand what you're saying, but I totally disagree. If the Police is there, then the victim is taken care of.

And the best way to save the victim's dignity is precisely to insure that he/she can have some privacy.

Imagine the pain of the family if they learn that some aholes found it very exciting to take a nice little vid of the last moments of their relative...

Now about the company... Sure it's a tragedy when someone dies. Does it mean that all the customers have to be punished? If someone dies in the airport, how many flights should they cancel?

Nothing against the way you felt about the situation... of course... But I genuinely see it very differently...

Casuistik, May 23, 2019 @ 22:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

You could also write to the Chief Editor of the Coop’s magazine “Coopération”.

He’s Thierry Délèze

[email protected]

God bless, R.

You could also write to the Chief Editor of the Coop’s magazine “Coopération”.

He’s Thierry Délèze

[email protected]

God bless, R.

Ritchie, May 23, 2019 @ 23:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I'm actually with Casuistik on this one.. 

Of course it's a tragedy for those involved but life goes on for the rest of us.It happens, people die every day on public transport, in shops, in the street, at work. You really can't stop everything, close roads, shops, offices, transport every time.. Sounds like they maintained the dignity of the person best they could.

The strangest instance I ever saw was in Newark airport, a person had died right after clearing security and was laid on a bench covered in a blanket guarded by two cops. The blanket only covered from the head to the knees so the feet were sticking out,, Bizarre sight for the thousands of people there.

I'm actually with Casuistik on this one.. 

Of course it's a tragedy for those involved but life goes on for the rest of us.It happens, people die every day on public transport, in shops, in the street, at work. You really can't stop everything, close roads, shops, offices, transport every time.. Sounds like they maintained the dignity of the person best they could.

The strangest instance I ever saw was in Newark airport, a person had died right after clearing security and was laid on a bench covered in a blanket guarded by two cops. The blanket only covered from the head to the knees so the feet were sticking out,, Bizarre sight for the thousands of people there.

John H, May 24, 2019 @ 07:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hmm, yes I can appreciate the opposite point of view, well put by two comments above. I think it was different from an airport where, of course, flights would not be cancelled.It is a more intimate space . The person died right near the check outs.

i guess it was the way everything went on as if nothing had happened - and the jingly music and silly adverts continued in a way that just felt somehow wrong.It just felt as if the person’s death was insignificant - just carry on spending....

But yes, I get your points. Maybe it is the taboo of death that is the problem.Thanks for taking the time to comment everyone.

Hmm, yes I can appreciate the opposite point of view, well put by two comments above. I think it was different from an airport where, of course, flights would not be cancelled.It is a more intimate space . The person died right near the check outs.

i guess it was the way everything went on as if nothing had happened - and the jingly music and silly adverts continued in a way that just felt somehow wrong.It just felt as if the person’s death was insignificant - just carry on spending....

But yes, I get your points. Maybe it is the taboo of death that is the problem.Thanks for taking the time to comment everyone.

buzzcocks, May 24, 2019 @ 21:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

They are extremely immoral and unethical to problems here. It is the attitude to pretend nothing bad happens here.

When you voice your concern they will try everything in their power to silence you. It is highly unprofessional and they are poorly trained.

They are extremely immoral and unethical to problems here. It is the attitude to pretend nothing bad happens here.

When you voice your concern they will try everything in their power to silence you. It is highly unprofessional and they are poorly trained.

lilac, May 25, 2019 @ 12:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

May 25, 19 12:14

Please have pity for someone, like me, who has a bird brain and explain who you are referring to when you use the word “they”.

Thanks, R.

Please have pity for someone, like me, who has a bird brain and explain who you are referring to when you use the word “they”.

Thanks, R.

Ritchie, May 25, 2019 @ 13:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Dear Tracey,

I can appreciate this was distressing for, agree that carrying on with business was inappropriate and poor judgement, to say the least - and shows lack of respect for human life and the individual by society and the organisation.

All I can offer is moral support,

E

Dear Tracey,

I can appreciate this was distressing for, agree that carrying on with business was inappropriate and poor judgement, to say the least - and shows lack of respect for human life and the individual by society and the organisation.

All I can offer is moral support,

E

ElizabethMH H, May 26, 2019 @ 12:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 866 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form