Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Ditching Swisscom for Wingo mobile - no min contract length.

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Ditching Swisscom for Wingo mobile - no min contract length.

Yesterday I was browsing the web looking for tips on how to end my contract with Swisscom (after almost 10 years with them). I just find it offensive to pay so much compared to what friends in Geneva pay with other companies and worse yet, with the price that friends in France pay for home internet + TV + mobile. 

I came across this blog specialized in telecom, which talks about a new company - WINGO, that is breaking the market with its low prices. Surprisingly, it is the low cost subsidiary of Swisscom. 

The main feature I like is that it has no minimum contact duration; you can stop at any time!  And the most expensive mobile plan is 55 CHF/mo. I have done the numbers and if I change my home internet+TV+2 mobile phones in my household I would save more than 50%. 

Questions: 

Does anyone have experience with Wingo?
Does anyone have recent experience with leaving Swisscom before the expiry date of the contract? Any tips will be appreciated. 

Thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Yesterday I was browsing the web looking for tips on how to end my contract with Swisscom (after almost 10 years with them). I just find it offensive to pay so much compared to what friends in Geneva pay with other companies and worse yet, with the price that friends in France pay for home internet + TV + mobile. 

I came across this blog specialized in telecom, which talks about a new company - WINGO, that is breaking the market with its low prices. Surprisingly, it is the low cost subsidiary of Swisscom. 

The main feature I like is that it has no minimum contact duration; you can stop at any time!  And the most expensive mobile plan is 55 CHF/mo. I have done the numbers and if I change my home internet+TV+2 mobile phones in my household I would save more than 50%. 

Questions: 

Does anyone have experience with Wingo?
Does anyone have recent experience with leaving Swisscom before the expiry date of the contract? Any tips will be appreciated. 

Thanks!

xavieroApr 25, 2019 @ 21:51
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1784 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Ditching Swisscom for Wingo mobile - no min contract length.
Post 1

Have no experience with Wingo, but the reason for their lower price is that they offer the same services as Swisscom, but reduced to the essentials. Regarding the termination of your currnt contract, Swisscom requires a two month notice, but even then, you will have to continue payments until the expiry date. It is all in the contract. If you lost it, you can find their terms online here.

"the Customer shall owe Swisscom the charges for the residual period up to expiry of the minimum subscription period or extension period."

Who knows, if Wingo is a subsidiary of Swisscom, maybe you can switch without being charged. But why don't you just contact them, instead of relying on anecdotes from strangers? You can both get the details about what of the services you currently have will not be part of your future package and about the resiliation or switching of your contract.

For more details about Wingo, look here in the Swisscom website. By the way, you have to live in areas supplied with "Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH)".

Have no experience with Wingo, but the reason for their lower price is that they offer the same services as Swisscom, but reduced to the essentials. Regarding the termination of your currnt contract, Swisscom requires a two month notice, but even then, you will have to continue payments until the expiry date. It is all in the contract. If you lost it, you can find their terms online here.

"the Customer shall owe Swisscom the charges for the residual period up to expiry of the minimum subscription period or extension period."

Who knows, if Wingo is a subsidiary of Swisscom, maybe you can switch without being charged. But why don't you just contact them, instead of relying on anecdotes from strangers? You can both get the details about what of the services you currently have will not be part of your future package and about the resiliation or switching of your contract.

For more details about Wingo, look here in the Swisscom website. By the way, you have to live in areas supplied with "Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH)".

JR M, Apr 26, 2019 @ 09:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi JR M, 

Thanks for the info. I intend on contacting Swisscom soon, and let them know I intend on leaving.

Why rely on anecdotes from strangers? Because that is the power of communities like Glocals, and because as you can read here, it looks like companies are negotiating independently with customers who are trying to leave them, offering sometimes very juicy deals (see the comments below the article). When I call Swisscom I know the person on the line is charged to protect the interest of the company and not my pocket...

I checked and where I live I have fiber, so I could get their home internet service. 

On the negative side, Wingo does not offer e-SIM, which is bad news for Apple Watch owners :-(

Still, the main attractive feature from Wingo is their "no minimum contract duration". In the US, one carrier started this, and it forced all other carriers to start offering less constrictive contracts. Will it happen here too?

I'll see how it goes, in the meantime, I'd be glad to hear from others too. 

Hi JR M, 

Thanks for the info. I intend on contacting Swisscom soon, and let them know I intend on leaving.

Why rely on anecdotes from strangers? Because that is the power of communities like Glocals, and because as you can read here, it looks like companies are negotiating independently with customers who are trying to leave them, offering sometimes very juicy deals (see the comments below the article). When I call Swisscom I know the person on the line is charged to protect the interest of the company and not my pocket...

I checked and where I live I have fiber, so I could get their home internet service. 

On the negative side, Wingo does not offer e-SIM, which is bad news for Apple Watch owners :-(

Still, the main attractive feature from Wingo is their "no minimum contract duration". In the US, one carrier started this, and it forced all other carriers to start offering less constrictive contracts. Will it happen here too?

I'll see how it goes, in the meantime, I'd be glad to hear from others too. 

xaviero, Apr 26, 2019 @ 10:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hola, Xaviero. By all means, you can get useful comments about the service Wingo provides from those with experience with it. As I wrote, I have none.

But regarding the consequences of terminating your contract with Swisscom, get the legal information from them, so you can know exactly what you will be facing. Wingo is actually a brand launched and ran by Swisscom in an attempt to expand their customer base and better compete with other companies. I would find out if switching from your current (unexpired) contract to a Wingo one may be treated differently by them.

Hola, Xaviero. By all means, you can get useful comments about the service Wingo provides from those with experience with it. As I wrote, I have none.

But regarding the consequences of terminating your contract with Swisscom, get the legal information from them, so you can know exactly what you will be facing. Wingo is actually a brand launched and ran by Swisscom in an attempt to expand their customer base and better compete with other companies. I would find out if switching from your current (unexpired) contract to a Wingo one may be treated differently by them.

JR M, Apr 26, 2019 @ 11:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Wingo looks like a good deal!

Wingo looks like a good deal!

Sean C, Apr 29, 2019 @ 11:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

https://www.wingo.ch/fr#

https://www.wingo.ch/fr#

Sean C, Apr 29, 2019 @ 11:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

You won't be able to leave before your contractual date without paying a fee. We personally saved so much money by leaving Swisscom that we sucked it up and were double billed for a few months. SALT for mobile plans and Init7 for Internet.

You won't be able to leave before your contractual date without paying a fee. We personally saved so much money by leaving Swisscom that we sucked it up and were double billed for a few months. SALT for mobile plans and Init7 for Internet.

CH K, Apr 29, 2019 @ 11:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Here’s the end of the story, for now.

I called Swisscom on Saturday and explained that I wanted to leave. They explained that in order to leave I would need to pay a penalty of around 2500 CHF. Ouch! The operator asked why I wanted to leave and I explained that I feel like a fool paying so much, when their own subsidiary Wingo would allow me to pay half, and when I see friends in France paying as low as 10 Eur for the same service for which I pay 80 CHF. Plus, I explained I was outraged with a recent high bill I received because of roaming. I also explained that I was disappointed that as an old customer (almost 10 years!) I cannot immediately change my plan to their new plan that includes free roaming in Europe, but  have to wait 4 more months (or pay 200 CHF!).

He offered 600 CHF in exchange for committing to stay for 2 more years with the company. This would extend my current contract for 8 months, so I said that it did not sound convenient. He then offered 300 CHF in exchange to committing to stay for 1 more year, which does not alter my contract expiry (Sep 2020). I accepted, and they have reduced that from my last invoice.

In conclusion, I am stuck with Swisscom until 2020. I will call them 2 months before and cancel my service and move to Wingo or another operator. I will go preferably for one with no minimum contract duration and inclusive roaming in Europe. For anyone looking for a mobile company in Switzerland, I suggest you do the same form the start.

As this article explains, Wingo got the highest customer satisfaction in Switzerland, so they must be doing something right (pricing, to start)

Here is the article that talks about how in the US the 2-year mobile contract died.

For people in neighboring France, a friend just got a plan with SOSH and is super happy with the super low bill (includes free roaming in Switzerland). https://www.sosh.fr/

Here’s the end of the story, for now.

I called Swisscom on Saturday and explained that I wanted to leave. They explained that in order to leave I would need to pay a penalty of around 2500 CHF. Ouch! The operator asked why I wanted to leave and I explained that I feel like a fool paying so much, when their own subsidiary Wingo would allow me to pay half, and when I see friends in France paying as low as 10 Eur for the same service for which I pay 80 CHF. Plus, I explained I was outraged with a recent high bill I received because of roaming. I also explained that I was disappointed that as an old customer (almost 10 years!) I cannot immediately change my plan to their new plan that includes free roaming in Europe, but  have to wait 4 more months (or pay 200 CHF!).

He offered 600 CHF in exchange for committing to stay for 2 more years with the company. This would extend my current contract for 8 months, so I said that it did not sound convenient. He then offered 300 CHF in exchange to committing to stay for 1 more year, which does not alter my contract expiry (Sep 2020). I accepted, and they have reduced that from my last invoice.

In conclusion, I am stuck with Swisscom until 2020. I will call them 2 months before and cancel my service and move to Wingo or another operator. I will go preferably for one with no minimum contract duration and inclusive roaming in Europe. For anyone looking for a mobile company in Switzerland, I suggest you do the same form the start.

As this article explains, Wingo got the highest customer satisfaction in Switzerland, so they must be doing something right (pricing, to start)

Here is the article that talks about how in the US the 2-year mobile contract died.

For people in neighboring France, a friend just got a plan with SOSH and is super happy with the super low bill (includes free roaming in Switzerland). https://www.sosh.fr/

xaviero, Apr 29, 2019 @ 15:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1784 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form