Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Dog bite advice

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Dog bite advice

Hi everyone,

I just arrived in Geneva a few days ago and was bitten by a dog by the lake yesterday. My mind just went blank and I forgot to ask the owner's contact. Although my wound is minor (bled a little bit), I decided to seek emergency care after calling the hospital to consult if I should come. My new job has not started yet, so I don't think I have Swiss health insurance. 

So my questions are:

Is it still possible to find the dog owner?

How much medical bill would I expect? 

I would appreciate any suggestions.

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone,

I just arrived in Geneva a few days ago and was bitten by a dog by the lake yesterday. My mind just went blank and I forgot to ask the owner's contact. Although my wound is minor (bled a little bit), I decided to seek emergency care after calling the hospital to consult if I should come. My new job has not started yet, so I don't think I have Swiss health insurance. 

So my questions are:

Is it still possible to find the dog owner?

How much medical bill would I expect? 

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Phillia ZSep 5, 2021 @ 01:25
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1498 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Dog bite advice
Post 1

its Good to go at least to see a Generalist in France it’s less than 30 euros

you Maybe need a Tétanos or Rage Vaccin..ir Antibiotiques 

Wish you Best

its Good to go at least to see a Generalist in France it’s less than 30 euros

you Maybe need a Tétanos or Rage Vaccin..ir Antibiotiques 

Wish you Best

Sari W, Sep 5, 2021 @ 11:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

If you were bitten in Geneva you should go to the Cantonal Hospital.

You should also have asked the dog’s owner for his name and address.

Best wishes for your recovery and your new job.

Ritchie

If you were bitten in Geneva you should go to the Cantonal Hospital.

You should also have asked the dog’s owner for his name and address.

Best wishes for your recovery and your new job.

Ritchie

Ritchie, Sep 5, 2021 @ 12:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Yesss You are right but as you saw Ritchie she doesn’t have a Health Assurance yet and going to Hug Without it it can very expensive unless there is exceptions plus in Covid situation it’s not that safe to go to Hospitals..maybe am wrong and you know better..

Good day to You

Yesss You are right but as you saw Ritchie she doesn’t have a Health Assurance yet and going to Hug Without it it can very expensive unless there is exceptions plus in Covid situation it’s not that safe to go to Hospitals..maybe am wrong and you know better..

Good day to You

Sari W, Sep 5, 2021 @ 13:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

It is indeed a pity that Phillia didn’t have the opportunity to ask the dog’s owner for his name and address.  Did she happen to notice whether the dog was wearing a collar with an identity tag?

In any case, she should report the incident to the Police as soon as possible.

As for treatment in France, while a one-off consultation may be cheaper than in Geneva, what if she requires follow-up care?  Will it be covered by the Swiss health insurance that her Swiss employer will set up for her?  And as a Chinese national will she be able to cross the border easily should the quarantine requirements be tightened.

I’m pretty sure that arrangements can be set in place for the cost of any medical care in Geneva to be either covered by her upcoming Swiss health insurance or, at worst, payment by easy instalments.

To Phillia:

All the very best for your new job and your stay in Geneva!

It is indeed a pity that Phillia didn’t have the opportunity to ask the dog’s owner for his name and address.  Did she happen to notice whether the dog was wearing a collar with an identity tag?

As for treatment in France, while a one-off consultation may be cheaper than in Geneva, what if she requires follow-up care?  Will it be covered by the Swiss health insurance that her Swiss employer will set up for her?  And as a Chinese national will she be able to cross the border easily should the quarantine requirements be tightened.

I’m pretty sure that arrangements can be set in place for the cost of any medical care in Geneva to be either covered by her upcoming Swiss health insurance or, at worst, payment by easy instalments.

To Phillia:

Ritchie, Sep 5, 2021 @ 16:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

To Phillia:

Sep 5, 21 16:55

Thanks to both of you! I was told to seek care immediately and was worried about the financial aspect. I have not tried crossing the border but it is very helpful to know that I may be subject to restrictions.

I just learnt that I need to have Swiss insurance upon arrival and have 3 months to pick one, so I hope once my employer plan kicks in I could be covered retrospectively. 

Thanks to both of you! I was told to seek care immediately and was worried about the financial aspect. I have not tried crossing the border but it is very helpful to know that I may be subject to restrictions.

I just learnt that I need to have Swiss insurance upon arrival and have 3 months to pick one, so I hope once my employer plan kicks in I could be covered retrospectively. 

Phillia Z, Sep 5, 2021 @ 19:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Your health insurance starts on the first day you are registered in Switzerland.. Not first day of starting work, so it should be covered retrospectively ..  

However you'd still likely pay all of the cost due to the franchise. 

*Do read up on the insurance and don't be fooled by the many agents who will 'helpfully' sell you all sorts you probably don't need :-) 

Your health insurance starts on the first day you are registered in Switzerland.. Not first day of starting work, so it should be covered retrospectively ..  

However you'd still likely pay all of the cost due to the franchise. 

*Do read up on the insurance and don't be fooled by the many agents who will 'helpfully' sell you all sorts you probably don't need :-) 

John H, Sep 17, 2021 @ 08:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I was bitten by a dog a couple of years ago.  No real bleeding - sme aall puncture. I went to unilabs (less crowded) and got a tetanus jab.  Was about 120 francs which I had to pay because I have a deductible on my insurance which I had not yet reached.   I would suggest getting the jab asap rather than wait and wonder.  I did not think it was necessary but I was undemocratically outvvoted by my wife.  As you have just arrived and are hoping to claim it back, I would suggest doing it in Switzerland despite the higher cost.

I was bitten by a dog a couple of years ago.  No real bleeding - sme aall puncture. I went to unilabs (less crowded) and got a tetanus jab.  Was about 120 francs which I had to pay because I have a deductible on my insurance which I had not yet reached.   I would suggest getting the jab asap rather than wait and wonder.  I did not think it was necessary but I was undemocratically outvvoted by my wife.  As you have just arrived and are hoping to claim it back, I would suggest doing it in Switzerland despite the higher cost.

Paul E, Sep 17, 2021 @ 12:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thank you for sharing your experience. Mine bled a little bit and I was urged by friends to seek care right away so I did. 

Thank you for sharing your experience. Mine bled a little bit and I was urged by friends to seek care right away so I did. 

Phillia Z, Sep 17, 2021 @ 13:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Sep 17, 21 13:14

A dog bite should never be neglected so yours was a wise decision.

Many moons ago in the first few months of the civil unrest in Sri Lanka, I was bitten in the street, just meters from our home and office and the headquarters of the Sri Lankan Naval Service.

I was rushed to our doctor’s surgery and the dog, which was foaming at the mouth, was shot dead by the duty sentry outside the naval barracks.

I was also fortunate enough to be the first “customer” of a fresh supply of anti-rabies vaccine (which, incidentally, had been donated by the Swiss Government).

After 10 days in bed, I could navigate a staircase but needed physiotherapy which, at that time, wasn’t available to non-Sri Lankan residents so I flew to our home-base of Geneva for treatment.

Physically, all that’s left of the experience is a small scar on my right calf, but the memory of the pain of that bite is indelible.

The dog which did the damage was shot dead by the sentry on duty outside the Naval HQ and then taken to the National Institute for Medical Research where he was found to be riddled with rabies.

So never treat a dog bite lightly.  Better to pay for a medical exam than run the risk of a potentially deadly infection.

A dog bite should never be neglected so yours was a wise decision.

Many moons ago in the first few months of the civil unrest in Sri Lanka, I was bitten in the street, just meters from our home and office and the headquarters of the Sri Lankan Naval Service.

I was rushed to our doctor’s surgery and the dog, which was foaming at the mouth, was shot dead by the duty sentry outside the naval barracks.

I was also fortunate enough to be the first “customer” of a fresh supply of anti-rabies vaccine (which, incidentally, had been donated by the Swiss Government).

After 10 days in bed, I could navigate a staircase but needed physiotherapy which, at that time, wasn’t available to non-Sri Lankan residents so I flew to our home-base of Geneva for treatment.

Physically, all that’s left of the experience is a small scar on my right calf, but the memory of the pain of that bite is indelible.

The dog which did the damage was shot dead by the sentry on duty outside the Naval HQ and then taken to the National Institute for Medical Research where he was found to be riddled with rabies.

So never treat a dog bite lightly.  Better to pay for a medical exam than run the risk of a potentially deadly infection.

Ritchie, Sep 18, 2021 @ 20:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

That sounds horrible! I am glad you got treated in time. 

The risk here in Switzerland is extremely low. So if the dog owner can show the vaccine records of the dog, I was told by the doctor that I don't have to receive those five rabies shots. But it is very frustrating to me that the owner just left. I blame myself for being very inexperienced and unprepared for sure, but that person apparently did not feel he has any responsibility.

That sounds horrible! I am glad you got treated in time. 

The risk here in Switzerland is extremely low. So if the dog owner can show the vaccine records of the dog, I was told by the doctor that I don't have to receive those five rabies shots. But it is very frustrating to me that the owner just left. I blame myself for being very inexperienced and unprepared for sure, but that person apparently did not feel he has any responsibility.

Phillia Z, Sep 20, 2021 @ 20:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1498 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form