Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Fake restaurants, poor service, and yet good ratings

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Fake restaurants, poor service, and yet good ratings

Hello,

I’d like to ask for your opinion on something that increasingly irritates me – especially in Geneva.

How do you feel when: 

- at a Japanese restaurant, ALL staff are from other (evidently low labour cost) counties than Japan

- you’re welcomed by a Chinese lady dressed in a Kimono, unable to say even ‘Thank You’ in Japanese

- a crew of Serbians wishes you ‘buona sera’ and believes a restaurant becomes Italian by playing tarantella music 

- at a supermarket, the self-checkout assistant doesn’t even apologise when their system doesn’t work or thank you when you make them aware of it …

etc. etc. 

In such case, do you:

Complain directly to the company in the hope to ever get a response?

Or do you write honest reviews and publish them on for example, Google.

I'm more and more inclined to do the latter – also to end that 'culture' of everybody giving a 4 or a 5 for mediocre services. 

Wouldn’t it be cool to set up a website where only verified honest ratings were published? Should I start such site?

Thanks for reading and perhaps even sharing your opinion!

Matthias 

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

I’d like to ask for your opinion on something that increasingly irritates me – especially in Geneva.

How do you feel when: 

- at a Japanese restaurant, ALL staff are from other (evidently low labour cost) counties than Japan

- you’re welcomed by a Chinese lady dressed in a Kimono, unable to say even ‘Thank You’ in Japanese

- a crew of Serbians wishes you ‘buona sera’ and believes a restaurant becomes Italian by playing tarantella music 

- at a supermarket, the self-checkout assistant doesn’t even apologise when their system doesn’t work or thank you when you make them aware of it …

etc. etc. 

In such case, do you:

Complain directly to the company in the hope to ever get a response?

Or do you write honest reviews and publish them on for example, Google.

I'm more and more inclined to do the latter – also to end that 'culture' of everybody giving a 4 or a 5 for mediocre services. 

Wouldn’t it be cool to set up a website where only verified honest ratings were published? Should I start such site?

Thanks for reading and perhaps even sharing your opinion!

Matthias 

Matthias KochJan 25, 2020 @ 16:28
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 697 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Fake restaurants, poor service, and yet good ratings
Post 1

You can post reviews on TripAdvisor (for hotels, restaurants, bars) or Yelp (shops). They strive on maintaining a high level of honesty for reviews, e.g. by not making possible to business owners to delete unfavorable reviews.

Reviews on Google are more immediate and visible due to their integration with GoogleMaps; however, Google allows business owners to delete negative reviews, which is very crappy. 

You can post reviews on TripAdvisor (for hotels, restaurants, bars) or Yelp (shops). They strive on maintaining a high level of honesty for reviews, e.g. by not making possible to business owners to delete unfavorable reviews.

Reviews on Google are more immediate and visible due to their integration with GoogleMaps; however, Google allows business owners to delete negative reviews, which is very crappy. 

TheOmegaMan, Feb 2, 2020 @ 16:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Fake restaurants, poor service, and yet good ratings
Post 2

Hola Omega,

So nice you make a contribution and give the hints with to Tripadvisor - I have made comments in the past, and in fairness always send my criticism to the owners first as I'd hate to discredit publicly.

Just when they don't answer, I go public - Manor for example has 10 more days :-)

Again, thank you !

Matthias

Hola Omega,

So nice you make a contribution and give the hints with to Tripadvisor - I have made comments in the past, and in fairness always send my criticism to the owners first as I'd hate to discredit publicly.

Just when they don't answer, I go public - Manor for example has 10 more days :-)

Again, thank you !

Matthias

Matthias Koch, Feb 2, 2020 @ 16:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 697 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form