Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Home is where you make it?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Home is where you make it?
For a while now I have been troubled with the idea of finding (or not) a ‘home’ in our journey of life.

Many of us, if not multinational, are in ways multicultural. We have travelled throughout our life, made home on lands far away from home, dabbled with the idea of recreating home rather than going back to it...Some have done it, some keep going back.

Others feel at home in more than one place, which at times can be equally as confusing.

The more we see in our lifes, the more we travel, the more we adjust ourselves to new situations, the more we either question where home is, or try to find a home within us.

So I ask you, do you believe we need a ‘home’ in our life? Is it really that important? And if so, would this be a home in a location or a mental home?

And is home really where you make it?

So can we recreate home? And is it ever the same as ‘home’?

Ps- I am not homesick, just interested to know if the general travelled populous, is troubled at times by the same thoughts as I.
The text you are quoting:
For a while now I have been troubled with the idea of finding (or not) a ‘home’ in our journey of life.

Many of us, if not multinational, are in ways multicultural. We have travelled throughout our life, made home on lands far away from home, dabbled with the idea of recreating home rather than going back to it...Some have done it, some keep going back.

Others feel at home in more than one place, which at times can be equally as confusing.

The more we see in our lifes, the more we travel, the more we adjust ourselves to new situations, the more we either question where home is, or try to find a home within us.

So I ask you, do you believe we need a ‘home’ in our life? Is it really that important? And if so, would this be a home in a location or a mental home?

And is home really where you make it?

So can we recreate home? And is it ever the same as ‘home’?

Ps- I am not homesick, just interested to know if the general travelled populous, is troubled at times by the same thoughts as I.
LucaOct 11, 2005 @ 18:22
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 1325 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Home is where you make it?
Post 1
Having grown up moving every 2-3 years, home is all of the following for me: a) where my family is, b) where I am living and c) where I am laying my head that night.

That's the short answer and as much as I can write without a lot of introspection. Good topic, though, definitely thought-provoking.

Having grown up moving every 2-3 years, home is all of the following for me: a) where my family is, b) where I am living and c) where I am laying my head that night.

That's the short answer and as much as I can write without a lot of introspection. Good topic, though, definitely thought-provoking.

misskate, Oct 11, 2005 @ 20:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
.... I envy people too who can live in the same place, build their life with a home, a family… and be happy without moving. I tried to imagine myself in the same position… but after 5 mn I'm already trying to find out the next place I would love to live in :-)))

What the hell… why would I stay put in one place, while there is so much to live and so many opportunities to live it in different places. I need to know that I will be able to move out/in eventually,

I therefore think that home is where and what you want it to be no matter what…

-*-*-*->LacLeman: I don't think we're losing something while moving all around the world… We are different, we need diversity to enrich our lives. We wouldn't feel satisfied otherwise.

Think about all these couples like Wilma (IN) and Peter (SE), Lolly (PT) and Nir (IL)…and so on, who met in a third country….

But hey… I'm no-one to talk…

Keep the faith
Sophia
.... I envy people too who can live in the same place, build their life with a home, a family… and be happy without moving. I tried to imagine myself in the same position… but after 5 mn I'm already trying to find out the next place I would love to live in :-)))

What the hell… why would I stay put in one place, while there is so much to live and so many opportunities to live it in different places. I need to know that I will be able to move out/in eventually,

I therefore think that home is where and what you want it to be no matter what…

-*-*-*->LacLeman: I don't think we're losing something while moving all around the world… We are different, we need diversity to enrich our lives. We wouldn't feel satisfied otherwise.

Think about all these couples like Wilma (IN) and Peter (SE), Lolly (PT) and Nir (IL)…and so on, who met in a third country….

But hey… I'm no-one to talk…

Keep the faith
Sophia
Phoebe, Oct 12, 2005 @ 16:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
...When you want...something/someone (lol), you will do everything to ensure you'll get it...
...When you want...something/someone (lol), you will do everything to ensure you'll get it...
Phoebe, Oct 12, 2005 @ 16:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Home is where you have friends
Home is where you have friends
Swigirl, Oct 12, 2005 @ 19:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
What is it that you want Mr. banana? surely not a new home?
if thats the case can i have your apartment? :-))
What is it that you want Mr. banana? surely not a new home?
if thats the case can i have your apartment? :-))
Luca, Oct 12, 2005 @ 20:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
home is where you have / find friends and where your loved ones are.
home is where you have / find friends and where your loved ones are.
Mister_Sark, Oct 13, 2005 @ 01:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
so i don´t have to asassinate my neighbour.
so i don´t have to asassinate my neighbour.
Mister_Sark, Oct 13, 2005 @ 13:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
You two....kill the neighour anyway, I want a flat too!
You two....kill the neighour anyway, I want a flat too!
Iolly, Oct 13, 2005 @ 18:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
i guess i have to kill off our entire apartment building.
you guys can move in and we put a "genevaonline vip residence" sign above the door. who can helb me with the bodies, i am not very strong and florian is a lazy one.
i guess i have to kill off our entire apartment building.
you guys can move in and we put a "genevaonline vip residence" sign above the door. who can helb me with the bodies, i am not very strong and florian is a lazy one.
Mister_Sark, Oct 13, 2005 @ 21:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
then we could film it and sell the rights as the new "friends" series for europe...
then we could film it and sell the rights as the new "friends" series for europe...
Luca, Oct 13, 2005 @ 22:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
You will already have...your Phoebe.... isn't that cool??
(ok, no blond hair, no big boobs... but I a bit crazy as she is...)

what would u say guys?
You will already have...your Phoebe.... isn't that cool??
(ok, no blond hair, no big boobs... but I a bit crazy as she is...)

what would u say guys?
Phoebe, Oct 14, 2005 @ 02:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
as long as you dont own a guitar or sing like her...
as long as you dont own a guitar or sing like her...
Luca, Oct 14, 2005 @ 14:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
Interesting topic indeed Luca

From my point of view, Home seems to be really where you make it.
Along the same lines...an important matter specially for people who moved that often (me being one of them) is to really understand our identity. I'm not trying to open a philosophy debate here, but once we understand that our identity is not based on the colour of our passport or of our skin and instead is more like a balanced puzzle in which all the different pieces we've gathered throughout this beautiful journey have their weight, finding your "home" should then be nothing but finding a place where you can express and share your identity fully while being surrounded by your beloved ones.
Interesting topic indeed Luca

From my point of view, Home seems to be really where you make it.
Along the same lines...an important matter specially for people who moved that often (me being one of them) is to really understand our identity. I'm not trying to open a philosophy debate here, but once we understand that our identity is not based on the colour of our passport or of our skin and instead is more like a balanced puzzle in which all the different pieces we've gathered throughout this beautiful journey have their weight, finding your "home" should then be nothing but finding a place where you can express and share your identity fully while being surrounded by your beloved ones.
momali, Oct 16, 2005 @ 19:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 1325 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form