Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > How to avoid Banking rip off?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
How to avoid Banking rip off?

I am a client of UBS for 20 years, but now I am feed up. It was ok before I began working for an international enterprise. They are paying in USD dollars to my UBS account and I notice that I am losing a lot on exchange rate differences then it is converted to CHF. Also, the exchange rate on my credit card abroad is not favourable at all and I am using it a lot as I travel. I just want to share an experience with everyone and would like to know how people in Switzerland are dealing in this situation?

Thank you

The text you are quoting:

I am a client of UBS for 20 years, but now I am feed up. It was ok before I began working for an international enterprise. They are paying in USD dollars to my UBS account and I notice that I am losing a lot on exchange rate differences then it is converted to CHF. Also, the exchange rate on my credit card abroad is not favourable at all and I am using it a lot as I travel. I just want to share an experience with everyone and would like to know how people in Switzerland are dealing in this situation?

Thank you

RomanovJan 27, 2020 @ 15:17
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1599 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: How to avoid Banking rip off?
Post 1

Any time you'll convert from one currency to another, with any bank, you'll lose something along the way because the bank that converts for you has to make something out of the transaction. So I don't think your issue is UBS specific. 

Any time you'll convert from one currency to another, with any bank, you'll lose something along the way because the bank that converts for you has to make something out of the transaction. So I don't think your issue is UBS specific. 

Nir Ofek, Jan 28, 2020 @ 14:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

To avoid the ripoff of the bad exchange rate when using credit card (plus the 1.75% "processing fee", WTF!) I started using Revolut. It is not super practical, but it can be interesting if you use your card a lot abroad/ different currencies.

For the salary in USD, maybe you can ask your company to pay you in an American account in dollars, if you have one, or if and then do the change from USD to CHF at your convenience using Transferwise, Currencyfair or some other of the services that offer better exchange rates

To avoid the ripoff of the bad exchange rate when using credit card (plus the 1.75% "processing fee", WTF!) I started using Revolut. It is not super practical, but it can be interesting if you use your card a lot abroad/ different currencies.

For the salary in USD, maybe you can ask your company to pay you in an American account in dollars, if you have one, or if and then do the change from USD to CHF at your convenience using Transferwise, Currencyfair or some other of the services that offer better exchange rates

ajimenezp, Jan 28, 2020 @ 20:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Couldn't agree more and so absoutely FED UP with UBS charging me for absolutely e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. There have GOT to be cheaper alternatives with fintech banks these day, no ? Any suggestions for cheaper alternatives for simply receiving one's salary, paying ones bills and the occasional credit card charge ?   

Couldn't agree more and so absoutely FED UP with UBS charging me for absolutely e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. There have GOT to be cheaper alternatives with fintech banks these day, no ? Any suggestions for cheaper alternatives for simply receiving one's salary, paying ones bills and the occasional credit card charge ?   

Eva D, Jan 29, 2020 @ 08:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Does UBS not have a USD account available? They have them for EUR....Maybe that might save on part of the exchange rate problem. Then transfer to CHF when you nedd or when the exchange rate is good? And you don't always have to have a credit card that goes with your bank account. There are independent alternatives. 

Does UBS not have a USD account available? They have them for EUR....Maybe that might save on part of the exchange rate problem. Then transfer to CHF when you nedd or when the exchange rate is good? And you don't always have to have a credit card that goes with your bank account. There are independent alternatives. 

Anne-Marie L, Jan 29, 2020 @ 08:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Wise or Revolut is the option, way better exchange rates and you can get a debit card in 10 days delivered to your apartment or work.

Wise or Revolut is the option, way better exchange rates and you can get a debit card in 10 days delivered to your apartment or work.

Ulan K, Aug 6, 2022 @ 23:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Could not recommend Revolut enough. I have a reference link if you want :) but, could you speak with your employer about paying you in CHF instead?

Could not recommend Revolut enough. I have a reference link if you want :) but, could you speak with your employer about paying you in CHF instead?

Timothy S, Aug 8, 2022 @ 14:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Best way I'm aware of is to be paid into your Wise USD account, then transfer it from Wise to InteractiveBrokers. I'd use Wise, not Revolut, because the transfer to IBKR costs 0.51 USD regardless of the amount, whereas Revolut often cost more.

Then you use IBKR to do the currency exchange, since they charge a flat rate of 2 USD for the exchange. IBKR beats Wise and Revolut for the exchange, and certainly is loads better than UBS or any of the high street banks.

You can send any amount from IBKR to your local account for free once per month (and after that first transaction it maybe costs 1 USD per extra transaction that month).

Total cost: about 2.5 USD to move your cash to CHF (or other) and there are no fees hidden in a suboptimal exchange rate.

Best way I'm aware of is to be paid into your Wise USD account, then transfer it from Wise to InteractiveBrokers. I'd use Wise, not Revolut, because the transfer to IBKR costs 0.51 USD regardless of the amount, whereas Revolut often cost more.

Then you use IBKR to do the currency exchange, since they charge a flat rate of 2 USD for the exchange. IBKR beats Wise and Revolut for the exchange, and certainly is loads better than UBS or any of the high street banks.

You can send any amount from IBKR to your local account for free once per month (and after that first transaction it maybe costs 1 USD per extra transaction that month).

Total cost: about 2.5 USD to move your cash to CHF (or other) and there are no fees hidden in a suboptimal exchange rate.

Dan J, Aug 8, 2022 @ 20:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Do you have good experiences with IBKR? Because I saw their app got 2.9 starts on GPlay.

Do you have good experiences with IBKR? Because I saw their app got 2.9 starts on GPlay.

Kris R, Aug 9, 2022 @ 20:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Aug 9, 22 20:21

Yes, excellent. A perfectly functional platform and extremely responsive customer service.

If I were to crticise anything it's that their fees are complex, though in the end they are extremely low - you just have to work a bit to make sure you know what they are going to be. But I've never failed to dig out the info I needed and have not had any nasty surprises.

Yes, excellent. A perfectly functional platform and extremely responsive customer service.

If I were to crticise anything it's that their fees are complex, though in the end they are extremely low - you just have to work a bit to make sure you know what they are going to be. But I've never failed to dig out the info I needed and have not had any nasty surprises.

Dan J, Aug 12, 2022 @ 15:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

The app itself isn't great but I don't trade on apps so I don't really care about the Google Play rating.

The app itself isn't great but I don't trade on apps so I don't really care about the Google Play rating.

Dan J, Aug 12, 2022 @ 15:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1599 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form