Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > How to get a Swiss drivers license with a US drivers license

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
How to get a Swiss drivers license with a US drivers license

I have a US drivers license and have lived in Geneva for 17 months.

Does anyone know if I am

1/ eligible to exchange my license for a Swiss one still and

2/ what is required for this as a US drivers license holder?

I have heard and read mixed things but I suspect I will have to do the whole qualification exam from scratch at this point...

The text you are quoting:

I have a US drivers license and have lived in Geneva for 17 months.

Does anyone know if I am

1/ eligible to exchange my license for a Swiss one still and

2/ what is required for this as a US drivers license holder?

I have heard and read mixed things but I suspect I will have to do the whole qualification exam from scratch at this point...

melanie lDec 11, 2019 @ 16:26
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 590 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: How to get a Swiss drivers license with a US drivers license
Post 1

Whats the harm in trying.  Just go to the bureau the auto moto and fill out the form.  Present your Permit and current US driving license.  Who knows they may not ask any quesitons and just do it for you.  Worth a try in my opinion.

Whats the harm in trying.  Just go to the bureau the auto moto and fill out the form.  Present your Permit and current US driving license.  Who knows they may not ask any quesitons and just do it for you.  Worth a try in my opinion.

JustChilling, Dec 12, 2019 @ 15:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Totally agree and plan to do that! Thank you all for the tips! Will report back..

Totally agree and plan to do that! Thank you all for the tips! Will report back..

melanie l, Dec 12, 2019 @ 15:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Happy to share my update!

Exchanged my California license for a Swiss one today in a smooth and seamless transaction at the Services des Vehicules in Carouge. There was no 12 month deadline. All I needed to do was fill out the form, get an eye test from one of their approved opticians, present my California DL and my Swiss permit and a passport photo, then pay the CHF 150 fee. Received the new Swiss DL on the spot. 

I think there is maybe some confusion - perhaps you cannot drive on your foreign license in Switzerland after you have been here for 1 year. But there did not seem to be any time limit for doing the exchange - not indicated on their website either. Perhaps this is a rule change? Or just a common misinterpretation of the former. 

Anyway, that's that! Very pleased. Thanks all for the advice!

Happy to share my update!

Exchanged my California license for a Swiss one today in a smooth and seamless transaction at the Services des Vehicules in Carouge. There was no 12 month deadline. All I needed to do was fill out the form, get an eye test from one of their approved opticians, present my California DL and my Swiss permit and a passport photo, then pay the CHF 150 fee. Received the new Swiss DL on the spot. 

I think there is maybe some confusion - perhaps you cannot drive on your foreign license in Switzerland after you have been here for 1 year. But there did not seem to be any time limit for doing the exchange - not indicated on their website either. Perhaps this is a rule change? Or just a common misinterpretation of the former. 

Anyway, that's that! Very pleased. Thanks all for the advice!

melanie l, Dec 19, 2019 @ 15:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I, too, would like to thank you, Melanie, for letting us know the smooth and happy outcome.

I hope you will now have many years of safe driving in CH and elsewhere.

Best wishes,

R.

I, too, would like to thank you, Melanie, for letting us know the smooth and happy outcome.

I hope you will now have many years of safe driving in CH and elsewhere.

Best wishes,

R.

Ritchie, Dec 19, 2019 @ 16:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 590 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form