Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > How to start a business in Geneva/Switzerland ?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
How to start a business in Geneva/Switzerland ?

Just toying with an idea... Not sure would really go for it... Yet it is a bit of a burning desire.. Perhaps to get to know a bit about what would it take, or to talk to others who may be occassionally thinking of becoming entrepreneurs in here but may not yet either have made a move would help.. So, anyone; Any ideas, experiences, information or links to share ? Interested in getting together either for those of you who would be in the know to be so kind as to share, or just to chat about our respective dreams and ideas and perhaps to figure out what would need to be figured out and divide the labour in finding out ? If I'm not making any sense it has to do with that I don't really know what I'm asking for (what a great start for a business venture, uh ? :) - but, yes, I'm asking for you to just to let me know how to find out about what it takes to set up a business in this canton, and also to let me know in case you would be interested in talking about it... Many many thanks in advance !

The text you are quoting:

Just toying with an idea... Not sure would really go for it... Yet it is a bit of a burning desire.. Perhaps to get to know a bit about what would it take, or to talk to others who may be occassionally thinking of becoming entrepreneurs in here but may not yet either have made a move would help.. So, anyone; Any ideas, experiences, information or links to share ? Interested in getting together either for those of you who would be in the know to be so kind as to share, or just to chat about our respective dreams and ideas and perhaps to figure out what would need to be figured out and divide the labour in finding out ? If I'm not making any sense it has to do with that I don't really know what I'm asking for (what a great start for a business venture, uh ? :) - but, yes, I'm asking for you to just to let me know how to find out about what it takes to set up a business in this canton, and also to let me know in case you would be interested in talking about it... Many many thanks in advance !

SarizaNov 30, 2010 @ 17:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 4784 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: How to start a business in Geneva/Switzerland ?
Post 1

I have also been toying with the idea and would love to join any discussion to gain more insight.

I have also been toying with the idea and would love to join any discussion to gain more insight.

vkhura, Nov 30, 2010 @ 17:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I'm not sure setting up a business in Switzerland is simply an idea to be "toyed" with.   If you wish to be a sole trader then you can set yourself up as an independent and submit tax returns as such.   If you want a commercial entity (which willl need to be VAT registered for revenues in excess of CHF 100k) then you can create an SARL for which you need a minimum paid up share capital of CHF20k or an SA (which I doubt would be necessary) of CHF50k.  You only need one director for a Swiss Co and they're not that complicated to run if you've a good fiduciaire which is a "must", and they can also help with the setting up of the company.  Set up costs all in regardless of the company crica CHF5k.  In terms of whether you're "making sense" I'll confess that it's not clear what your business idea/plan is.  If however you've some money to throw at "something" then let me know.    

I'm not sure setting up a business in Switzerland is simply an idea to be "toyed" with.   If you wish to be a sole trader then you can set yourself up as an independent and submit tax returns as such.   If you want a commercial entity (which willl need to be VAT registered for revenues in excess of CHF 100k) then you can create an SARL for which you need a minimum paid up share capital of CHF20k or an SA (which I doubt would be necessary) of CHF50k.  You only need one director for a Swiss Co and they're not that complicated to run if you've a good fiduciaire which is a "must", and they can also help with the setting up of the company.  Set up costs all in regardless of the company crica CHF5k.  In terms of whether you're "making sense" I'll confess that it's not clear what your business idea/plan is.  If however you've some money to throw at "something" then let me know.    

Maurice H, Nov 30, 2010 @ 18:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Sariza,

Maybe the following link can help you to find an idea: www.apce.com 

(in french)

There're very useful things under "Créateur". Check it.  Wink

In English: www.apce.com/pid372/to-set-up-a-business.html?espace=

Good luck...

Hi Sariza,

Maybe the following link can help you to find an idea: www.apce.com 

(in french)

There're very useful things under "Créateur". Check it.  Wink

In English: www.apce.com/pid372/to-set-up-a-business.html?espace=

Good luck...

Ivana N, Nov 30, 2010 @ 18:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

That's fine if you want to set up a business in France but not Geneva!   Best advice is to go to a good fiduciare or lawyer, because there's always some slippage between the theory and the practice. 

That's fine if you want to set up a business in France but not Geneva!   Best advice is to go to a good fiduciare or lawyer, because there's always some slippage between the theory and the practice. 

Maurice H, Nov 30, 2010 @ 18:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thanks Ivana and Maurice - very useful. Its not a case of wanting to throw some money on something but rather to start from small, try and see if one of the ideas I have could be developed into a business, learn in doing and then, possibly, expand into something more sophisticated and/or big. I will seek expert advise as proposed by Maurice and in the meantime am open to just chat about business set-ups with people that may have similar ideas... Cheers.

Thanks Ivana and Maurice - very useful. Its not a case of wanting to throw some money on something but rather to start from small, try and see if one of the ideas I have could be developed into a business, learn in doing and then, possibly, expand into something more sophisticated and/or big. I will seek expert advise as proposed by Maurice and in the meantime am open to just chat about business set-ups with people that may have similar ideas... Cheers.

Sariza, Dec 1, 2010 @ 10:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Sari,

Check this one: http://www.meetup.com/entrepreneur-1502/

It's a group of people that want to discuss / present their ideas / businesses. 

Dec 14th is a last meeting (at least for this year). 

Smile

Hi Sari,

Check this one: http://www.meetup.com/entrepreneur-1502/

It's a group of people that want to discuss / present their ideas / businesses. 

Dec 14th is a last meeting (at least for this year). 

Smile

anushka, Dec 1, 2010 @ 11:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Sariza!

I was browsing the internet to get advice to start a business and discovered this feed.

Personally, I've found the information available from the state of Geneva very useful. Also I've sought professional advice and found a business consulting firm competent in english, that to mention as this is often not the case in Geneva.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Sariza!

I was browsing the internet to get advice to start a business and discovered this feed.

Personally, I've found the information available from the state of Geneva very useful. Also I've sought professional advice and found a business consulting firm competent in english, that to mention as this is often not the case in Geneva.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul D, Sep 28, 2019 @ 17:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Sariza!

Cheers,

Paul

Sep 28, 19 17:44

This makes for interesting reading even if the thread is now almost 10 years old.

This makes for interesting reading even if the thread is now almost 10 years old.

Ritchie, Sep 28, 2019 @ 21:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 4784 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form