Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Indian restaurants in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Indian restaurants in Geneva

What Indian restaurants would you recommend, apart from Little India?

The text you are quoting:

What Indian restaurants would you recommend, apart from Little India?

MarzNov 19, 2009 @ 00:05
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

35 Replies | 9253 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Indian restaurants in Geneva
Post 1

For me the Spice of India (Rue de Lausanne) is the best one! and it s not very expensive. The owner and the staff are very nice.

For me the Spice of India (Rue de Lausanne) is the best one! and it s not very expensive. The owner and the staff are very nice.

Sabrina G, Nov 19, 2009 @ 10:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

the sultan in nyon is very good and parking is just across the street along the lakeside.

FYI the rajput is in Onex just passing through the town of ferney. and yes, it is the best, but you must reserve, as it's booked evry night they are open.

the sultan in nyon is very good and parking is just across the street along the lakeside.

FYI the rajput is in Onex just passing through the town of ferney. and yes, it is the best, but you must reserve, as it's booked evry night they are open.

epicure, Nov 19, 2009 @ 10:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

For me Cafe Bollywood is the best

http://www.cafebollywood.ch/index_large.html

For me Cafe Bollywood is the best

http://www.cafebollywood.ch/index_large.html

Melanienyc, Nov 19, 2009 @ 11:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I really like the Karishma lounge in Divonne les Bains Laughing

I really like the Karishma lounge in Divonne les Bains Laughing

pie39, Nov 19, 2009 @ 12:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I really like Karishma Lounge in Divonne Les bains Laughing

I really like Karishma Lounge in Divonne Les bains Laughing

pie39, Nov 19, 2009 @ 12:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

To be honest, All Indian restaurants in Geneva are pretty poor. Especially if you like your food spicy. I had a beef vindaloo at the Sultan in Nyon and the waiter hovered by me with a fire extinguisher.I've had hotter casseroles.....
The best of a sorry bunch by far is Rasoi by Vineet in the Mandarin Oriental. It actually has a Michelin start. The downside is the bill.....ouch....
For a cheap and good introduction to all Geneva has to offer, I recommend you go to

http://curryclubgeneva.com/

Dean and Trevor are great guys , and the nights out are generally good fun, with a nice bunch of people .....

see you there.....

To be honest, All Indian restaurants in Geneva are pretty poor. Especially if you like your food spicy. I had a beef vindaloo at the Sultan in Nyon and the waiter hovered by me with a fire extinguisher.I've had hotter casseroles.....
The best of a sorry bunch by far is Rasoi by Vineet in the Mandarin Oriental. It actually has a Michelin start. The downside is the bill.....ouch....
For a cheap and good introduction to all Geneva has to offer, I recommend you go to

http://curryclubgeneva.com/

Dean and Trevor are great guys , and the nights out are generally good fun, with a nice bunch of people .....

see you there.....

brucelawson, Nov 19, 2009 @ 12:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I really liked Nirvana.

The decoration is sumptuous, and the food is delicious!

Cheers

I really liked Nirvana.

The decoration is sumptuous, and the food is delicious!

Cheers

Mushta, Nov 19, 2009 @ 13:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thank you very much for all the responses. I didn't even know there were so many Indian restaurants in GVA. I think there's one that open a few months ago, but I don't remember its name. I know it had food tasting and inexpensive lunches. Does anyone know which one it was?

Thanks,

Marz

Thank you very much for all the responses. I didn't even know there were so many Indian restaurants in GVA. I think there's one that open a few months ago, but I don't remember its name. I know it had food tasting and inexpensive lunches. Does anyone know which one it was?

Thanks,

Marz

Marz, Nov 19, 2009 @ 23:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

The one that was opened a few months ago is Spices of India, on rue de Lausanne. I just came back from there...

But the BEST one in Geneva in Little India. It's owned by the same guys who just opended Spices of India, but they put their best chef on Little India...Bon ap!

The one that was opened a few months ago is Spices of India, on rue de Lausanne. I just came back from there...

But the BEST one in Geneva in Little India. It's owned by the same guys who just opended Spices of India, but they put their best chef on Little India...Bon ap!

Nir Ofek, Nov 19, 2009 @ 23:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Marz look for the next curry night , you'll get to talk to people who love their curries , although we know it's not like we have at home the company makes up for it.

It really is a personal taste, but Little India usually provides a good selection for our curry nights , and travelling to the Sultan, Nyon has been worth the drive.

Marz look for the next curry night , you'll get to talk to people who love their curries , although we know it's not like we have at home the company makes up for it.

It really is a personal taste, but Little India usually provides a good selection for our curry nights , and travelling to the Sultan, Nyon has been worth the drive.

britabroad, Nov 20, 2009 @ 16:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Marz,

I think maybe you could be talking about Indian Plaza on rue de monthoux.  I believe they opened this summer and have a 16chf buffet that is quite popular.

Marz,

I think maybe you could be talking about Indian Plaza on rue de monthoux.  I believe they opened this summer and have a 16chf buffet that is quite popular.

Melanienyc, Nov 20, 2009 @ 16:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Yes, I think it's Indian Plaza. Is it any good?

In the end maybe we will go to Little India. Last time we went it was OK.

Britabroad- I'm not sure if  I'll have a chance to go to the curry event as I'm leaving Geneva at the end of December.

Thanks.

Marz

Yes, I think it's Indian Plaza. Is it any good?

In the end maybe we will go to Little India. Last time we went it was OK.

Britabroad- I'm not sure if  I'll have a chance to go to the curry event as I'm leaving Geneva at the end of December.

Thanks.

Marz

Marz, Nov 21, 2009 @ 16:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

I booked The Indian Plaza restaurant for tomorrow, but I'm kind of worried as no one wrote about it. Any experience? Share please, I can still cancel the reservation. It's for my wedding anniversary, so I'd not like to end up not liking it.

Now I;m considering Spice of India, Little India and Rajput as well.

Thanks!

I booked The Indian Plaza restaurant for tomorrow, but I'm kind of worried as no one wrote about it. Any experience? Share please, I can still cancel the reservation. It's for my wedding anniversary, so I'd not like to end up not liking it.

Now I;m considering Spice of India, Little India and Rajput as well.

Thanks!

Marz, Nov 21, 2009 @ 17:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I havent been to Indian Plaza but it looks like more of a lunch location.  Maybe try Spice of India out as it looks a bit nicer for dinner, & Little India is always good

Hope that helps ; )  Happy anniversary!

I havent been to Indian Plaza but it looks like more of a lunch location.  Maybe try Spice of India out as it looks a bit nicer for dinner, & Little India is always good

Hope that helps ; )  Happy anniversary!

Melanienyc, Nov 21, 2009 @ 19:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Thank you:-)

Thank you:-)

Marz, Nov 21, 2009 @ 19:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Thanks! In the end we went to Little India. It was good,but not spicy at all. I guess we should have asked to have our food spicy.

Marz

Thanks! In the end we went to Little India. It was good,but not spicy at all. I guess we should have asked to have our food spicy.

Marz

Marz, Nov 25, 2009 @ 17:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Yes, I've noticed. Thanks! Not sure if I can make it  on that day though.

Yes, I've noticed. Thanks! Not sure if I can make it  on that day though.

Marz, Nov 25, 2009 @ 17:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

LITTLE INDIA - by far by far.

I love Indian food and have such a tough experience in Geneva before now. The Rajput is a load of rubbish. In fact many of the asian type restaurants seem to cater for a very bland taste preference.

Little India actual comes close to what you would find in the UK i.e. full of flavour and inline with what you would expect a madras or vindaloo to be like.

Just saw the curry night as well - great idea.

LITTLE INDIA - by far by far.

I love Indian food and have such a tough experience in Geneva before now. The Rajput is a load of rubbish. In fact many of the asian type restaurants seem to cater for a very bland taste preference.

Little India actual comes close to what you would find in the UK i.e. full of flavour and inline with what you would expect a madras or vindaloo to be like.

Just saw the curry night as well - great idea.

Neil M, Nov 25, 2009 @ 19:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Can you tell me where little India is located. Desperate for a good curry, I agree that most of the places here just cater for a very bland taste. So disappointing really. Just have to cook myself when I want a good vindaloo, but would still love to stumble upon a good Indian!

Thanks

Can you tell me where little India is located. Desperate for a good curry, I agree that most of the places here just cater for a very bland taste. So disappointing really. Just have to cook myself when I want a good vindaloo, but would still love to stumble upon a good Indian!

Thanks

Mumof3, Dec 7, 2009 @ 14:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

rue du Prieuré 20
1202 Genève
022 731 11 71

Make sure you book - it is popular and not enormous. Let me know if you like it. Have not tried the Vindaloo but the Madras was excellent.

rue du Prieuré 20
1202 Genève
022 731 11 71

Make sure you book - it is popular and not enormous. Let me know if you like it. Have not tried the Vindaloo but the Madras was excellent.

Neil M, Dec 7, 2009 @ 14:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Hey thanks a lot. will def give it a try and give you my verdict. Being originally from India, and knowing a Madras from Vindaloo is sure to help in my review!!

Hey thanks a lot. will def give it a try and give you my verdict. Being originally from India, and knowing a Madras from Vindaloo is sure to help in my review!!

Mumof3, Dec 7, 2009 @ 16:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Hey Marz,

There's one next to me called "Bollywood":

place de la Navigation 6
022 731 88 77

Enjoy!

Tal

Hey Marz,

There's one next to me called "Bollywood":

place de la Navigation 6
022 731 88 77

Enjoy!

Tal

Tal A, Dec 7, 2009 @ 16:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

I found that the Shahi is the best one so far, I like the food there but bit more expensive than the other places

Shahi

place de Cornavin 2
1201 Genève

022 738 44 36

Useful link : http://yellow.local.ch/en/d/Geneve/1201/Restaurants-according-to-speciality/Shahi-T54WbewL_ZIUIUa9BpFDtA?what=Indian%20Kitchen&where=Gen%C3%A8ve

I found that the Shahi is the best one so far, I like the food there but bit more expensive than the other places

Shahi

place de Cornavin 2
1201 Genève

022 738 44 36

Useful link : http://yellow.local.ch/en/d/Geneve/1201/Restaurants-according-to-speciality/Shahi-T54WbewL_ZIUIUa9BpFDtA?what=Indian%20Kitchen&where=Gen%C3%A8ve

ja_nixon, Dec 7, 2009 @ 19:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

I know most people will vote for Little India, but my favorite is Café Ghandi which is also located in Paquis. I actually tried the same dishes in both places and ... yeah, it wins:

Ghandi Café
rue de Neuchatel 37
1201 Geneva

http://www.gandhi.ch/index/index_situation.html
http://www.restorang.ch/info.cfm?canton=ge&restono=1251

---

There's also a brand new Bangladesh restaurant across the street from Little India called Taj.

I only went there once, it was pricier, but excellent service and delicious too.

Restaurant Taj
rue de Berne 65 (corner with rue du Prieuré)
1201 Geneva
022 732 84 62
http://www.restorang.ch/info.cfm?restono=6

I know most people will vote for Little India, but my favorite is Café Ghandi which is also located in Paquis. I actually tried the same dishes in both places and ... yeah, it wins:

Ghandi Café
rue de Neuchatel 37
1201 Geneva

http://www.gandhi.ch/index/index_situation.html
http://www.restorang.ch/info.cfm?canton=ge&restono=1251

---

There's also a brand new Bangladesh restaurant across the street from Little India called Taj.

I only went there once, it was pricier, but excellent service and delicious too.

Restaurant Taj
rue de Berne 65 (corner with rue du Prieuré)
1201 Geneva
022 732 84 62
http://www.restorang.ch/info.cfm?restono=6

daleesha, Dec 8, 2009 @ 00:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

On the subject of good ethnic restaurants, Al Amir in Paquis is excellent for authentic lebanese fare. Simply the best shawarmas this side of Beirut. 

On the subject of good ethnic restaurants, Al Amir in Paquis is excellent for authentic lebanese fare. Simply the best shawarmas this side of Beirut. 

Mumof3, Dec 8, 2009 @ 11:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

I second the vote for Al-Amir, chicken on the spit is wickedly good.........gosh! I'm hungry now. Waiters are excellent too..........

I second the vote for Al-Amir, chicken on the spit is wickedly good.........gosh! I'm hungry now. Waiters are excellent too..........

bookworm, Dec 11, 2009 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

There's a place called "(Walk In) Soul Food" which serves Indian tapas, which is actually pretty good and the guy running the place is always very friendly. It's a block north of the Servette stop. It's different which is what makes it fun. 

http://www.walkin.ch/

There's a more standard place called Madhura which is at the Maisonnex stop on the Y and 56 bus routes. Also good.

There's a place called "(Walk In) Soul Food" which serves Indian tapas, which is actually pretty good and the guy running the place is always very friendly. It's a block north of the Servette stop. It's different which is what makes it fun. 

http://www.walkin.ch/

There's a more standard place called Madhura which is at the Maisonnex stop on the Y and 56 bus routes. Also good.

pnaik, Dec 11, 2009 @ 22:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Went to TAJ MAHAL (in St. Julien) last night and had the best butter chicken and also lamb in spinach ever.  The Kashmiri Pilao was amazing and the salad too. 

Last time I went was a year ago and I ordered a way too salty okra dish, but I am now a loyal customer, going again tonight....I know....I know...but don't eat out too often...so let me indulge for a bit..

Check it out...and tell us what you think.

Went to TAJ MAHAL (in St. Julien) last night and had the best butter chicken and also lamb in spinach ever.  The Kashmiri Pilao was amazing and the salad too. 

Last time I went was a year ago and I ordered a way too salty okra dish, but I am now a loyal customer, going again tonight....I know....I know...but don't eat out too often...so let me indulge for a bit..

Check it out...and tell us what you think.

bookworm, Dec 12, 2009 @ 17:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

I agree, Spice of India is nice, although a bit pricey. Would definitely suggest trying it out.  I have recently discovered a new indian restaurant, literally outside the Lyon stop (cannot remember the name but they have recently reopened under the new management). It was literally the best korma I had in Geneva, really nice service and prices, well similar as majority of restaurants but they have a set menu for 35 chf, a starter, main, dessert, a naan and rice. Definitely would recommend! :) 

I agree, Spice of India is nice, although a bit pricey. Would definitely suggest trying it out.  I have recently discovered a new indian restaurant, literally outside the Lyon stop (cannot remember the name but they have recently reopened under the new management). It was literally the best korma I had in Geneva, really nice service and prices, well similar as majority of restaurants but they have a set menu for 35 chf, a starter, main, dessert, a naan and rice. Definitely would recommend! :) 

m n, Oct 30, 2013 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Restaurant Indien - Changdigarh Tandoori at 67 rue de Lyon. Great food, reasonable prices and good service.

Restaurant Indien - Changdigarh Tandoori at 67 rue de Lyon. Great food, reasonable prices and good service.

Juliane S, Oct 30, 2013 @ 12:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Join the Geneva Curry club

See the profile of Dean Elliot or search in group for curry club.

There are two clubs, the other one is with Helen.

both really nice people and the organize a monthly group for 'Indian Curries'.

Join the Geneva Curry club

See the profile of Dean Elliot or search in group for curry club.

There are two clubs, the other one is with Helen.

both really nice people and the organize a monthly group for 'Indian Curries'.

Dave G, Oct 30, 2013 @ 12:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

http://curryclubgeneva.org/index.html

Spice of India: very good but expensive

Bollywood : expensive and not the best indian, poor service

Karishma Lounge in Divonne Les bains, is good but very expensive

Nirvana: Good, expensive & out of town at Cern. Guess they didn’t succeed in  Eaux vivre?

Little India ; Good food, poor service, expensive price

Jaipour : Good food, good service, average price

Indian Plaza : Average but I felt the quality was ‘cutting corners’

Bombays: Average value for money and quality.

Bombays palace, Eaux Vivre: Average value for money and quality.

Rajmoni : This is the best for Value for money and quality. Exellent service , just ask for Kadir.

Lady Godiva Pub: Excellent curry with the Curry club. Specially organized with owner.

Shahi; Quality was ‘cutting corners’

Ghandi Café; Cold food & very slow service.

Changdigarh Tandoori ; Good service but food quality was below average. One item looked like dog food, and tasted terrible.

http://curryclubgeneva.org/index.html

Spice of India: very good but expensive

Bollywood : expensive and not the best indian, poor service

Karishma Lounge in Divonne Les bains, is good but very expensive

Nirvana: Good, expensive & out of town at Cern. Guess they didn’t succeed in  Eaux vivre?

Little India ; Good food, poor service, expensive price

Jaipour : Good food, good service, average price

Bombays: Average value for money and quality.

Bombays palace, Eaux Vivre: Average value for money and quality.

Rajmoni : This is the best for Value for money and quality. Exellent service , just ask for Kadir.

Lady Godiva Pub: Excellent curry with the Curry club. Specially organized with owner.

Shahi; Quality was ‘cutting corners’

Ghandi Café; Cold food & very slow service.

Changdigarh Tandoori ; Good service but food quality was below average. One item looked like dog food, and tasted terrible.

Dave G, Oct 30, 2013 @ 12:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

There is a new indian restaurant that opened just a few minutes away from my place in servette and that wasn't on you list. It's located Rue de la Servette 76, I have been at the inauguration and really liked it! You can find them on http://indian-curryhouse.com/

There is a new indian restaurant that opened just a few minutes away from my place in servette and that wasn't on you list. It's located Rue de la Servette 76, I have been at the inauguration and really liked it! You can find them on http://indian-curryhouse.com/

Twister, Sep 29, 2016 @ 13:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Sep 29, 16 13:55

Thanks Twister, that's walking distance from my place. I'll check it out soon

Thanks Twister, that's walking distance from my place. I'll check it out soon

Nir Ofek, Sep 29, 2016 @ 14:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
35 Replies | 9253 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form