Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Looking for advice on life in the Zurich-Zug area

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Looking for advice on life in the Zurich-Zug area

Hello!

My name is Bijan. My wife and I are Americans who live in the Netherlands.  I am a biomedical engineer, university educator, consultant, and author.  My wife is a program manager in the semi conductor industry.  We'd like to move to Zug area.  We plan on taking a trip to Zurich-Zug area next weekend (Nov 30-Dec 2) to look around.  

Would anyone be willing to talk to us about life in Zug, where to live, and give us advice?  We can talk on the phone, do a video call, or meet in person.

Many thanks,

Bijan

The text you are quoting:

Hello!

My name is Bijan. My wife and I are Americans who live in the Netherlands.  I am a biomedical engineer, university educator, consultant, and author.  My wife is a program manager in the semi conductor industry.  We'd like to move to Zug area.  We plan on taking a trip to Zurich-Zug area next weekend (Nov 30-Dec 2) to look around.  

Would anyone be willing to talk to us about life in Zug, where to live, and give us advice?  We can talk on the phone, do a video call, or meet in person.

Many thanks,

Bijan

Bijan ElahiNov 24, 2018 @ 16:33
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

23 Replies | 744 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Looking for advice on life in the Zurich-Zug area
Post 1

Although we no longer live in the area [too expensive being now on a pension] Zug is lovely with very low taxes [lowest in Switzerland] but is very small and compact after the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam/Rotterdam/Utrecht et al.

Zürich has more in the way of infrastructure and facilities but with this comes the usual problems of large city living. We have young friends who live in Zürich but who commute daily to Zug on the train [excellent service of course].

Zugerberg is outrageously expensive for housing, as is anywhere else in the Kanton of Zug because of the question of supply and demand. If you would like to pay less for housing, then have a look at Affoltern-am-Albis, Mettmenstetten, Knonau, all served by the motorway and the train.

Hope this helps you. You will be overwhelmed by the beauty of the surroundings after living in very flat Holland [we lived in Antwerpen 15 years]

Good luck

Although we no longer live in the area [too expensive being now on a pension] Zug is lovely with very low taxes [lowest in Switzerland] but is very small and compact after the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam/Rotterdam/Utrecht et al.

Zürich has more in the way of infrastructure and facilities but with this comes the usual problems of large city living. We have young friends who live in Zürich but who commute daily to Zug on the train [excellent service of course].

Zugerberg is outrageously expensive for housing, as is anywhere else in the Kanton of Zug because of the question of supply and demand. If you would like to pay less for housing, then have a look at Affoltern-am-Albis, Mettmenstetten, Knonau, all served by the motorway and the train.

Hope this helps you. You will be overwhelmed by the beauty of the surroundings after living in very flat Holland [we lived in Antwerpen 15 years]

Good luck

sheila c, Nov 25, 2018 @ 12:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thank you Sheila, for your reply.  Are you saying that it is more expensive to live in canton Zug, than in Zurich?

Thank you Sheila, for your reply.  Are you saying that it is more expensive to live in canton Zug, than in Zurich?

Bijan Elahi, Nov 25, 2018 @ 13:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Probably......it depends upon where in Zürich. For example, if you look in the Zoo/Zürichberg areas, the cost of housing is probably the same or even more expensive than in Zug. Oerlikon and the areas adjacent tend to be less expensive.

Comparisons are odious of course, and one has not to forget that although the houses/apartments in Switzerland are outrageously expensive compared with the rest of Europe, the salaries are noticeably higher, and very often the taxes much lower.

The old phrase "horses for courses" comes to mind, but the standard[s] in CH are extremely high too.

Probably......it depends upon where in Zürich. For example, if you look in the Zoo/Zürichberg areas, the cost of housing is probably the same or even more expensive than in Zug. Oerlikon and the areas adjacent tend to be less expensive.

Comparisons are odious of course, and one has not to forget that although the houses/apartments in Switzerland are outrageously expensive compared with the rest of Europe, the salaries are noticeably higher, and very often the taxes much lower.

The old phrase "horses for courses" comes to mind, but the standard[s] in CH are extremely high too.

sheila c, Nov 25, 2018 @ 13:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Bijan - before you start comparing how much it costs between canton Zug and Zurich you really need to go see them, they are as different as different could be. 

Bijan - before you start comparing how much it costs between canton Zug and Zurich you really need to go see them, they are as different as different could be. 

hucklewoo, Nov 26, 2018 @ 09:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hucklewoo, that's exactly what I plan on doing next weekend.  Visiting both cities.  In your opinion how are they different?  Which do you prefer?

Hucklewoo, that's exactly what I plan on doing next weekend.  Visiting both cities.  In your opinion how are they different?  Which do you prefer?

Bijan Elahi, Nov 26, 2018 @ 09:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Bijan,  its kinda like asking if you prefer apples or kangaroos, they are totally different.  If you can describe what is important to you from a quality of life point of view that will help aim a response accordingly.  Where will you work, how important is your commute, do you like city or countryside, small town vs large city etc etc....

Hi Bijan,  its kinda like asking if you prefer apples or kangaroos, they are totally different.  If you can describe what is important to you from a quality of life point of view that will help aim a response accordingly.  Where will you work, how important is your commute, do you like city or countryside, small town vs large city etc etc....

hucklewoo, Nov 26, 2018 @ 17:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

That's a funny analogy Smile.  I work from home. So, no commute. I don't prefer very busy/noisy city life. But also I'm not looking to be alone in the mountains either --  something in the middle.  Natural beauty is important. Walking/bicycling access to necessaties, e.g. shopping, is appreciated. Being near other expats is a definite plus.

I hope I gave you enough insights -- so, is it the apple or the kangaroo?

That's a funny analogy Smile.  I work from home. So, no commute. I don't prefer very busy/noisy city life. But also I'm not looking to be alone in the mountains either --  something in the middle.  Natural beauty is important. Walking/bicycling access to necessaties, e.g. shopping, is appreciated. Being near other expats is a definite plus.

I hope I gave you enough insights -- so, is it the apple or the kangaroo?

Bijan Elahi, Nov 26, 2018 @ 19:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Definitely the kangaroo, then.  I will drop you an email rather than boring everyone here.

Definitely the kangaroo, then.  I will drop you an email rather than boring everyone here.

hucklewoo, Nov 27, 2018 @ 12:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

As the top of the Zugerberg is notoriously expensive [same as in Zürich] you could always try living half way up [if you can find an apartment, which is often like looking for hens' teeth]. Alternatively in Kanton Zürich Kappel-am-Albis from where you have a lovely aspect over the Lake of Zug. If you need further advice, do not hesitate to ask.

Happy hunting

As the top of the Zugerberg is notoriously expensive [same as in Zürich] you could always try living half way up [if you can find an apartment, which is often like looking for hens' teeth]. Alternatively in Kanton Zürich Kappel-am-Albis from where you have a lovely aspect over the Lake of Zug. If you need further advice, do not hesitate to ask.

Happy hunting

sheila c, Nov 27, 2018 @ 13:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hello Bijan, you are planning to work from home - if you or your wife will be employed by a Switzerland-based company, they will need to successfully apply for a work (and residence) permit before you move to Switzerland.

If neither of you will be employed in Switzerland, it will be a complicated process to obtain a residence permit as you are US citizens, i.e. neither Swiss nor EU citizens (unless one of you has a dual citizenship). In that case, I would strongly recommend you to enquire with the competent authorities (Swiss embassy in Den Haag and/or the cantonal migration office) before starting any house-hunting... To determine which cantonal migration office would be in charge, it would of course make sense checking out where you would like to live.

All the best.

Hello Bijan, you are planning to work from home - if you or your wife will be employed by a Switzerland-based company, they will need to successfully apply for a work (and residence) permit before you move to Switzerland.

If neither of you will be employed in Switzerland, it will be a complicated process to obtain a residence permit as you are US citizens, i.e. neither Swiss nor EU citizens (unless one of you has a dual citizenship). In that case, I would strongly recommend you to enquire with the competent authorities (Swiss embassy in Den Haag and/or the cantonal migration office) before starting any house-hunting... To determine which cantonal migration office would be in charge, it would of course make sense checking out where you would like to live.

All the best.

Stephanie D, Nov 27, 2018 @ 18:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Thank you Stephanie.

Thank you Stephanie.

Bijan Elahi, Nov 27, 2018 @ 22:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi Bejan,

Zug is quite boring (it’s a very small industrial city) but is just in between 2 nice bigger cities like Zürich & Luzern.

Zürich is an expensive city but if you live in Meilen (Goldküste) or Horgen for ex, you will pay less taxes & find nicer apartments/houses with event  a view on the lake!

Hi Bejan,

Zug is quite boring (it’s a very small industrial city) but is just in between 2 nice bigger cities like Zürich & Luzern.

Zürich is an expensive city but if you live in Meilen (Goldküste) or Horgen for ex, you will pay less taxes & find nicer apartments/houses with event  a view on the lake!
ciardo Vanessa, Dec 1, 2018 @ 23:19

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi Bejan,

Dec 1, 18 23:19

To the best of my knowledge, Zug is a town not a city.

To the best of my knowledge, Zug is a town not a city.

Ritchie, Dec 2, 2018 @ 17:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

That's absolutely right Ritchie - thank you for pointing this out to the original poster.

And Zug is not boring at all - it is a quaint little town with many attractions = not the least the lowest taxes in Switzerland. But again, it is up to the OP to make his own decisions.

That's absolutely right Ritchie - thank you for pointing this out to the original poster.

And Zug is not boring at all - it is a quaint little town with many attractions = not the least the lowest taxes in Switzerland. But again, it is up to the OP to make his own decisions.

sheila c, Dec 2, 2018 @ 17:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Sorry for town...we say « ville de Zug » in French or village for somewhere smaller.

Sorry for town...we say « ville de Zug » in French or village for somewhere smaller.
ciardo Vanessa, Dec 2, 2018 @ 18:40

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Dec 2, 18 18:40

There is a difference between a town and a city.

You could, however, call Zug a municipality.

There is a difference between a town and a city.

You could, however, call Zug a municipality.

Ritchie, Dec 2, 2018 @ 19:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Dec 2, 18 18:40

FYI, the population of a city is between 100,000 and 300,000 people.

A large town has a population of 20,000 to 100,000.

Best, R.

FYI, the population of a city is between 100,000 and 300,000 people.

A large town has a population of 20,000 to 100,000.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Dec 2, 2018 @ 19:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Yes, it’s a problem of translation between French & English, we don’t have the word « town ».

Yes, it’s a problem of translation between French & English, we don’t have the word « town ».
ciardo Vanessa, Dec 2, 2018 @ 23:31

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Altough, all the best in your researches Bijan!

Altough, all the best in your researches Bijan!

ciardo Vanessa, Dec 2, 2018 @ 23:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Thank you all, for your input.

Thank you all, for your input.

Bijan Elahi, Dec 3, 2018 @ 06:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Dec 2, 18 23:31

Huh? How about "Ville"?

Huh? How about "Ville"?

sheila c, Dec 3, 2018 @ 12:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

ciardo Vanessa, Dec 3, 2018 @ 12:10

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Hi Hucklewooo, just wondering any chance do you know much about name of good  public schools in Zurich or area to move ? I've noticed many expats moving Geneva area and not much info about schools ( primary and High school specificly) Thx

Hi Hucklewooo, just wondering any chance do you know much about name of good  public schools in Zurich or area to move ? I've noticed many expats moving Geneva area and not much info about schools ( primary and High school specificly) Thx

Esma Nadine, Jul 11, 2019 @ 15:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
23 Replies | 744 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form