Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Moving the UK: does anybody can recommand a removal company?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving the UK: does anybody can recommand a removal company?

Hello there,

Is there somebody who has recently moved from the UK to Switzerland (or the other way round and is still haunting Glocals) and could recommand a removal company? I will be moving from Geneva to London. I have seen that Charles Wood & Sons does weekly trip from Oxford to Geneva, so they may be an option. If anybody used them, I would be happy to hear your feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Lise

The text you are quoting:

Hello there,

Is there somebody who has recently moved from the UK to Switzerland (or the other way round and is still haunting Glocals) and could recommand a removal company? I will be moving from Geneva to London. I have seen that Charles Wood & Sons does weekly trip from Oxford to Geneva, so they may be an option. If anybody used them, I would be happy to hear your feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Lise

LisacatrionaAug 31, 2010 @ 09:32
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

22 Replies | 5162 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving the UK: does anybody can recommand a removal company?
Post 1

depends on the price.... www.angloinfo.ch has a list of firms

good luck. 

depends on the price.... www.angloinfo.ch has a list of firms

good luck. 

Charlie, Aug 31, 2010 @ 09:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

hi Lise,

I moved from London to Switzerland in January and after contacting several firms and comparing service and quotations, I chose Simpsons (http://www.simpsons-uk.com/).

Price was very fair, they also offer storage for a cheap cost in the case you need it while looking for your definitive apartment, and the service was excellent. I had a face to face appointment with an agent to discuss the details then all communications and documentations arrangements were done by email / fax / mail / phone (including customs papers). 

hi Lise,

I moved from London to Switzerland in January and after contacting several firms and comparing service and quotations, I chose Simpsons (http://www.simpsons-uk.com/).

Price was very fair, they also offer storage for a cheap cost in the case you need it while looking for your definitive apartment, and the service was excellent. I had a face to face appointment with an agent to discuss the details then all communications and documentations arrangements were done by email / fax / mail / phone (including customs papers). 

Federica, Aug 31, 2010 @ 09:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

if this is the new name for luker bros. out of oxford ? they are the best. they handle everything and have weekly trips to switzerland. i moved with them 10 years ago and they are still the best value for money.

if this is the new name for luker bros. out of oxford ? they are the best. they handle everything and have weekly trips to switzerland. i moved with them 10 years ago and they are still the best value for money.

epicure, Aug 31, 2010 @ 10:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I don't think so as they are based in Kent

I don't think so as they are based in Kent

Federica, Aug 31, 2010 @ 10:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Epicure, I saw some extremely negative comments about Luker bors on other forum, they must have come down since you moved with them.

Hi Epicure, I saw some extremely negative comments about Luker bors on other forum, they must have come down since you moved with them.

Lisacatriona, Aug 31, 2010 @ 10:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I used Bishops and they were excellent. Very highly recommended!

(pack & remove from 2 locations in Birmingham, UK to storage in Geneva to delivery in France)

I used Bishops and they were excellent. Very highly recommended!

(pack & remove from 2 locations in Birmingham, UK to storage in Geneva to delivery in France)

Chris S, Aug 31, 2010 @ 11:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

We have just moved across and used a company called Movecorp. I think they almost act as handling agents and fill removal firms lorries for them. The actual removal firm was Clockwork. They weren't perfect but were polite and fairly efficient and the removal men were nice. They did scratch a few things but I do think this is sadly, quite a common problem.

You get what you pay for. It cost us less that £2k to move a 2/3 bed house and they did all the paperwork etc. We packed things ourselves. I think this price is probably quite reasonable.

We have just moved across and used a company called Movecorp. I think they almost act as handling agents and fill removal firms lorries for them. The actual removal firm was Clockwork. They weren't perfect but were polite and fairly efficient and the removal men were nice. They did scratch a few things but I do think this is sadly, quite a common problem.

You get what you pay for. It cost us less that £2k to move a 2/3 bed house and they did all the paperwork etc. We packed things ourselves. I think this price is probably quite reasonable.

Colette D, Aug 31, 2010 @ 12:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I used Clockwork removals from UK to Switzerland and they were fine, apart from my settee covers being dirty! They were the cheapest quote with storage and removal. I've also used Luker brothers from Switzerland to the UK and they were also fine, apart from one small box going missing.... For both companies, the removal men worked non-stop and were really nice.

I used Clockwork removals from UK to Switzerland and they were fine, apart from my settee covers being dirty! They were the cheapest quote with storage and removal. I've also used Luker brothers from Switzerland to the UK and they were also fine, apart from one small box going missing.... For both companies, the removal men worked non-stop and were really nice.

Treesa, Aug 31, 2010 @ 21:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Robinsons uk

Very good door to door service, part loads or full loads.

Robinsons uk

Very good door to door service, part loads or full loads.

Richard James, Sep 29, 2010 @ 12:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

LukerBros were great and cost efficient, as they take partial loads, so you can share the costs with others moving (if you don't need the whole lorry yourself that is....)

LukerBros were great and cost efficient, as they take partial loads, so you can share the costs with others moving (if you don't need the whole lorry yourself that is....)

Siany, Sep 29, 2010 @ 13:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Try Robinsons uk

Try Robinsons uk

Richard James, Sep 29, 2010 @ 13:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

hi there...we used gb liners..www.gbliners.com

They came to pack on the monday,two of the guys drove over,and were here on the wednesday.They use a swiss company if they need extra help.They also helped with the paper work for customs.

I didnt like Pickfords either when they came to give us a quote.

Hope that might be of some use..happy packing!

Nookes

hi there...we used gb liners..www.gbliners.com

They came to pack on the monday,two of the guys drove over,and were here on the wednesday.They use a swiss company if they need extra help.They also helped with the paper work for customs.

I didnt like Pickfords either when they came to give us a quote.

Hope that might be of some use..happy packing!

Nookes

Nookes, Oct 6, 2010 @ 17:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

i would suggest you to use the removal directory where you will find a list of removal companies and you can easily select one on the basis of feedback and reviews. There you will have 8 London best removal companies which are sort out by the directory maker so now you have 8 removal companies.

i would suggest you to use the removal directory where you will find a list of removal companies and you can easily select one on the basis of feedback and reviews. There you will have 8 London best removal companies which are sort out by the directory maker so now you have 8 removal companies.

hassel lee, May 15, 2013 @ 09:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I would recommend, based on experience, that you select a handful of companies based on the above recommendations. Then meet with a number of them, and go into every detail of the move, the cost, what services it includes (at both ends, packing and unloading, how they tag every item etc,), details of what fees, duty taxes, permits, etc. it includes, details of the insurance. Ask if they handle all the paperwork at customs (they will be crossing two borders), do they have offices at both ends or if not, who is their agent at the other end (you are better off using a UK company, in case you need to follow up if you have any problems).

Take your time deciding and go through the trouble of interviewing more than one company. A number of things can go wrong, and you do not want any surprises.

I would recommend, based on experience, that you select a handful of companies based on the above recommendations. Then meet with a number of them, and go into every detail of the move, the cost, what services it includes (at both ends, packing and unloading, how they tag every item etc,), details of what fees, duty taxes, permits, etc. it includes, details of the insurance. Ask if they handle all the paperwork at customs (they will be crossing two borders), do they have offices at both ends or if not, who is their agent at the other end (you are better off using a UK company, in case you need to follow up if you have any problems).

Take your time deciding and go through the trouble of interviewing more than one company. A number of things can go wrong, and you do not want any surprises.

JR M, May 15, 2013 @ 11:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Aug 31, 10 10:53

depends who you ask - I've used them three times and the only issue I had was a customs agent in the US refusing to release my stuff until I paid a "fee" - Luker Bros sorted it out without me having to pay. So for me they were fine even last year when I moved here, which is recent.

However I also know quite a few people who moan about their service a lot who had bad experiences.

depends who you ask - I've used them three times and the only issue I had was a customs agent in the US refusing to release my stuff until I paid a "fee" - Luker Bros sorted it out without me having to pay. So for me they were fine even last year when I moved here, which is recent.

However I also know quite a few people who moan about their service a lot who had bad experiences.

Mark H, May 15, 2013 @ 11:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

I used Harsch to move from UK to CH, local agent in the UK was Constantine.. Great service from both, everything went like clockwork, from the crew arriving bang on time, the materials for wrapping and packing, everything.. All of the paperwork handled and lots of advice on best way to do things..  We basically went out for the day and came back the house was empty.. vice versa at this end.  We also had two months of storage en suisse.. Total cost was just over 3k chf.. Not cheap but it just worked.(and worked paid anyway)

I used Harsch to move from UK to CH, local agent in the UK was Constantine.. Great service from both, everything went like clockwork, from the crew arriving bang on time, the materials for wrapping and packing, everything.. All of the paperwork handled and lots of advice on best way to do things..  We basically went out for the day and came back the house was empty.. vice versa at this end.  We also had two months of storage en suisse.. Total cost was just over 3k chf.. Not cheap but it just worked.(and worked paid anyway)

John H, May 15, 2013 @ 12:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Thanks to all of the people who posted replies today . I don't know why this query was suddenly reactivated as I moved to London nearly 3 years ago. In any case, if any of you actually to move back to the UK, avoid Bishop's (which was the company recommended by Chris and which I used). Their international service is really dreadful. They were extremely badly organised, the removal team arrived 4 hours late because even though the move was planned to take a whole day they actually to do another booking that day. Then they did everything at double speed, causing thousands pounds damages (hardly anything survived without some form of damages). The two guys were also rude and utterly incompetent, absolute cowboys of a type no reputable removal company should use. And from I have been able to find afterwards on the net, my experience is far from unique! No need to say they never accepted to compensate me for the damages or any other problems caused. So visibly Chris was extremely lucky, maybe because the move was organised by his local branch rather than their international service.

Thanks to all of the people who posted replies today . I don't know why this query was suddenly reactivated as I moved to London nearly 3 years ago. In any case, if any of you actually to move back to the UK, avoid Bishop's (which was the company recommended by Chris and which I used). Their international service is really dreadful. They were extremely badly organised, the removal team arrived 4 hours late because even though the move was planned to take a whole day they actually to do another booking that day. Then they did everything at double speed, causing thousands pounds damages (hardly anything survived without some form of damages). The two guys were also rude and utterly incompetent, absolute cowboys of a type no reputable removal company should use. And from I have been able to find afterwards on the net, my experience is far from unique! No need to say they never accepted to compensate me for the damages or any other problems caused. So visibly Chris was extremely lucky, maybe because the move was organised by his local branch rather than their international service.

Lisacatriona, May 15, 2013 @ 15:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

May 15, 13 15:24

oh thats strange i did not look at the date of your post, that is why i am thinking that original person is not commenting on this post.

oh thats strange i did not look at the date of your post, that is why i am thinking that original person is not commenting on this post.

hassel lee, May 16, 2013 @ 11:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

With Geneva being close by to France the French removal companies will alos be able to assist with a move of this type

With Geneva being close by to France the French removal companies will alos be able to assist with a move of this type

removals, Apr 3, 2020 @ 22:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Apr 3, 20 22:20

Just for the record, you have replied to a post that is dated May 16, 2013.

R.

Just for the record, you have replied to a post that is dated May 16, 2013.

R.

Ritchie, Apr 3, 2020 @ 23:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

I'm going stir crazy!!

I'm going stir crazy!!

removals, Apr 4, 2020 @ 09:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

I'm going stir crazy!!

Apr 4, 20 09:33

Welcome to the Club !

Welcome to the Club !

Ritchie, Apr 4, 2020 @ 15:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
22 Replies | 5162 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form