Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Moving to France with young family - advice on locations please

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving to France with young family - advice on locations please

Good morning everyone, 

Like many before, we are contemplating moving to France with our young family- from the UK. I shall be working in Geneva.

I would value some advice on places to live  within reasonable commuter distance of Geneva and with very good schools (not the international fee paying schools). I'm aware of Ferney yet was hoping for some other suggestions too.

Thank you so much for taking a moment to share your tips.

Hayley

The text you are quoting:

Good morning everyone, 

Like many before, we are contemplating moving to France with our young family- from the UK. I shall be working in Geneva.

I would value some advice on places to live  within reasonable commuter distance of Geneva and with very good schools (not the international fee paying schools). I'm aware of Ferney yet was hoping for some other suggestions too.

Hayley

Hayley BJun 13, 2017 @ 08:23
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1736 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving to France with young family - advice on locations please
Post 1

Will your Swiss work  permit allow you to live in France?

Will your Swiss work  permit allow you to live in France?

Ritchie, Jun 13, 2017 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Good morning everyone, 

Hayley

Jun 13, 17 08:23

Hi Hayley

We live in Evian-les-Bains, very, very happily I might add. We have now been here for 10 years. Many people commute on a daily basis from here to Geneva, although it is not ideal by car. Others commute from Thonon-les-Bains.

The French school system is generally good : there are a variety of public [that is, not fee-paying] educational establishments hereabouts, including a very good Lycee if your children are older {Anna De Noailles}. I have coached students sitting their Bac from this school and was amazed at the exceptional standard expected in their English class.

If you need more information or help, you can sent us a private EM.

Believe me, if you come to live here, you wont regret it!

Hi Hayley

We live in Evian-les-Bains, very, very happily I might add. We have now been here for 10 years. Many people commute on a daily basis from here to Geneva, although it is not ideal by car. Others commute from Thonon-les-Bains.

The French school system is generally good : there are a variety of public [that is, not fee-paying] educational establishments hereabouts, including a very good Lycee if your children are older {Anna De Noailles}. I have coached students sitting their Bac from this school and was amazed at the exceptional standard expected in their English class.

If you need more information or help, you can sent us a private EM.

Believe me, if you come to live here, you wont regret it!

sheila c, Jun 13, 2017 @ 12:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Dear Sheila

Thank you so much for these tips. In fact we are strongly considering Thonon given that there will be a direct  to Geneva in the not too distant future. Of course now we have to to plunge ourselves into the school questions. Do you have an option on whether fee paying schools in France are really worth it,  compared to the state schools please? In the UK there is gulf between the two.

Thank you for your tips, Hayley

Dear Sheila

Thank you so much for these tips. In fact we are strongly considering Thonon given that there will be a direct  to Geneva in the not too distant future. Of course now we have to to plunge ourselves into the school questions. Do you have an option on whether fee paying schools in France are really worth it,  compared to the state schools please? In the UK there is gulf between the two.

Thank you for your tips, Hayley

Hayley B, Apr 7, 2019 @ 09:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hello Hayley

Do you mean a direct train link? This is due to open on 15 December 2019, although it has been delayed [what isn't]? but we hope this will be the case.

Thonon has a variety of good schools. If you send your children to a Catholic school, the education is normally good and they take children of all denominations. One of my students is the Deputy Head of a local RC school and they even take muslims, so it is very mixed and balanced. The fee-paying schools AFAIK don't cost the earth like they do in the UK but you would need to do your own homework here. We do know that Swiss private schools and international schools in the Geneva area are extremely expensive.

Sheila

Hello Hayley

Do you mean a direct train link? This is due to open on 15 December 2019, although it has been delayed [what isn't]? but we hope this will be the case.

Thonon has a variety of good schools. If you send your children to a Catholic school, the education is normally good and they take children of all denominations. One of my students is the Deputy Head of a local RC school and they even take muslims, so it is very mixed and balanced. The fee-paying schools AFAIK don't cost the earth like they do in the UK but you would need to do your own homework here. We do know that Swiss private schools and international schools in the Geneva area are extremely expensive.

Sheila

sheila c, Apr 7, 2019 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Hayley,

Just wondering how this progressed. We are looking at relocating from UK to Thonon (or nearby). For us it also ticks all the boxes. We have 2 boys (8 and 9) who don't speak French, so I'd be interested to hear what schooling decisions you made and how you've found it?

We have also considered new Int school in Thonon.

Thanks

Laura

Hi Hayley,

Just wondering how this progressed. We are looking at relocating from UK to Thonon (or nearby). For us it also ticks all the boxes. We have 2 boys (8 and 9) who don't speak French, so I'd be interested to hear what schooling decisions you made and how you've found it?

We have also considered new Int school in Thonon.

Thanks

Laura

Laura T, Jun 25, 2020 @ 17:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1736 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form