Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > My partner's career brought me to Geneva... now what?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
My partner's career brought me to Geneva... now what?

Dear ladies who are in this situation, I would love to hear about your experience. How is it going for you? What do you miss? What kind of info or event would you like to have/attend?

I have moved to Geneva 9 years ago when my husband found a job here and after many life changes, I founded Bonjour Geneva to support expat women in rebuilding their network and reinventing themselves.

I am preparing the calendar for upcoming months and I would therefore love to hear from you so that I can schedule content and events that correspond to yoour needs and expectations.

You can either reply here or drop me a message here: https://bonjourgeneva.com/contact/

Many thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Dear ladies who are in this situation, I would love to hear about your experience. How is it going for you? What do you miss? What kind of info or event would you like to have/attend?

I have moved to Geneva 9 years ago when my husband found a job here and after many life changes, I founded Bonjour Geneva to support expat women in rebuilding their network and reinventing themselves.

I am preparing the calendar for upcoming months and I would therefore love to hear from you so that I can schedule content and events that correspond to yoour needs and expectations.

You can either reply here or drop me a message here: https://bonjourgeneva.com/contact/

Many thanks!

Maria Alice SOct 26, 2018 @ 09:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1250 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: My partner's career brought me to Geneva... now what?
Post 1

Hi ,I think this might have been an issue years ago,but these days most women I know here have their own jobs or,if they don't,they pursue their interests and establish a network.Is it really very different in Geneva? 

Hi ,I think this might have been an issue years ago,but these days most women I know here have their own jobs or,if they don't,they pursue their interests and establish a network.Is it really very different in Geneva? 

buzzcocks, Oct 26, 2018 @ 21:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

It's not just woman how are trailing spouses!!!!

cliff h, Oct 28, 2018 @ 06:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks for your reply. I agree that women do pursue their own interests, and that is precisely the purpose of Bonjour Geneva: to support them in creating the life that they want for themselves in Geneva by providing a space where they can rebuild thei network and take steps towards resuming a professional activity (or starting a new one).

I'm glad to hear that for you there were no major issues. For some women finding a job and rebuilding their network is not as straightforward as it may seem.

Thanks for your reply. I agree that women do pursue their own interests, and that is precisely the purpose of Bonjour Geneva: to support them in creating the life that they want for themselves in Geneva by providing a space where they can rebuild thei network and take steps towards resuming a professional activity (or starting a new one).

I'm glad to hear that for you there were no major issues. For some women finding a job and rebuilding their network is not as straightforward as it may seem.

Maria Alice S, Oct 31, 2018 @ 17:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Oct 28, 18 06:59

Absolutely! Is this your personal experience?

Women are the target audience of Bonjour Geneva for now but I will be happy to hear men's perspectives on the matter as well.

Absolutely! Is this your personal experience?

Women are the target audience of Bonjour Geneva for now but I will be happy to hear men's perspectives on the matter as well.

Maria Alice S, Oct 31, 2018 @ 17:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Oct 26, 18 21:36

Maria Alice S, Oct 31, 2018 @ 17:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

The trailing spouse ( lovely name) can indeed be a man and also a gay man with a male partner working ( have already met 3 men in this situation)I guess we will have true equality when we have a large number of female trailing spouses whose partners are also women.

I wouldn't say there were no major issues here for me on arrival Maria Alice.Switzerland was even more old fashioned than it is now and it was quite a culture shock coming here as a woman who had no aspirations to be a housewife.

Maybe it might be a good idea to have a Bonjour Geneve for all " trailing spouses" in whatever type of relationship,and male or female? You might be able to help a lot of people.Good luck.

The trailing spouse ( lovely name) can indeed be a man and also a gay man with a male partner working ( have already met 3 men in this situation)I guess we will have true equality when we have a large number of female trailing spouses whose partners are also women.

I wouldn't say there were no major issues here for me on arrival Maria Alice.Switzerland was even more old fashioned than it is now and it was quite a culture shock coming here as a woman who had no aspirations to be a housewife.

Maybe it might be a good idea to have a Bonjour Geneve for all " trailing spouses" in whatever type of relationship,and male or female? You might be able to help a lot of people.Good luck.

buzzcocks, Oct 31, 2018 @ 18:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Oct 31, 18 18:31

I know, "trailing spouse" is a pretty horrible label, that's why I don't use it.

Just to make it clear, all women are welcome at Bonjour Geneva, regardless they have a male or female partner.

I chose to launch with a focus on women precisely because things here can be so old fashioned and being a woman may in some cases mean one extra layer in the challenge of creating the life you want for yourself in Geneva.

However, I will be very happy to hear about the needs and experiences of the men who come to Geneva to accompany a spouse (male or female) if they are willing to share. I would love to design events and workshops that could be useful for both in the future.

I know, "trailing spouse" is a pretty horrible label, that's why I don't use it.

Just to make it clear, all women are welcome at Bonjour Geneva, regardless they have a male or female partner.

I chose to launch with a focus on women precisely because things here can be so old fashioned and being a woman may in some cases mean one extra layer in the challenge of creating the life you want for yourself in Geneva.

However, I will be very happy to hear about the needs and experiences of the men who come to Geneva to accompany a spouse (male or female) if they are willing to share. I would love to design events and workshops that could be useful for both in the future.

Maria Alice S, Nov 1, 2018 @ 13:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1250 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form