Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Praise Geneva!!!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Praise Geneva!!!
Gosh, people!
I couldn't sleep so I spent some time into the forums I had less time for, recently, and what do I find?
Every three threads there's again somebody complaining about Geneva!
And the drinks are expensive... and the people are not able to have fun... and there's no bars, no life, no this, no that... people are too rich, too posh, too snob...
Come on people! Stop pissing off! This place is one of the most open minded and less racist/classist around. If you notice the posh people is just because here everybody mixes up, rich people are sitting aside you in restaurants, parking their Ferrari aside your VW Polo and they're maybe your neighbours. In any other city you wouldn't be allowed in their same bars/clubs (you wouldn't even know those places exist) and you wouldn't know that prices in Geneva (over all for going out) are not that high. In London, Paris, Berlin, New York, Rome, ... you have plenty of places where you'd pay a thousand euros to offer a bottle to your friends! Just you wouldn't even know those places exist! Here you have free access to nearly everything and that's why you notice the difference. Yes, there's less choice. It's a little city, after all, but I wouldn't change it for the hour /hour and a half that spends my brother in Rome to drive to work every day (and other cities can be worse)! Yes, there are less theatres, but in London or Paris, you can't decide to go to sky and be on the slopes half an hour later!
And the people are open minded and welcoming. Yes of course many of them are attached to their habits that are different from ours, but in the rest of the world I've seen people rebuked to the borders of the society because they were wearing a headscarf or a cross, because their skins were darker (or lighter) than the average population, because they didn't eat the same thing or (often) because thay didn't speak the local language.
Here I know several people who've been leaving here for years not speaking a word of french and nobody matters. It's a true melting pot (who says there is racism doesn't know what racism is). The biggest risk you can have here is that your neighbour calls the police when you have a party, but I've been living in Lyon (four times bigger) for seven years and I promise it was much worse! And I remeber parties ruined by neighbours in Barcelona and Madrid, in Italy...
After all, I think the main reason to complain about Geneva is that there's so many people complaining about Geneva :-)
Love Genevans!
The text you are quoting:
Gosh, people!
I couldn't sleep so I spent some time into the forums I had less time for, recently, and what do I find?
Every three threads there's again somebody complaining about Geneva!
And the drinks are expensive... and the people are not able to have fun... and there's no bars, no life, no this, no that... people are too rich, too posh, too snob...
Come on people! Stop pissing off! This place is one of the most open minded and less racist/classist around. If you notice the posh people is just because here everybody mixes up, rich people are sitting aside you in restaurants, parking their Ferrari aside your VW Polo and they're maybe your neighbours. In any other city you wouldn't be allowed in their same bars/clubs (you wouldn't even know those places exist) and you wouldn't know that prices in Geneva (over all for going out) are not that high. In London, Paris, Berlin, New York, Rome, ... you have plenty of places where you'd pay a thousand euros to offer a bottle to your friends! Just you wouldn't even know those places exist! Here you have free access to nearly everything and that's why you notice the difference. Yes, there's less choice. It's a little city, after all, but I wouldn't change it for the hour /hour and a half that spends my brother in Rome to drive to work every day (and other cities can be worse)! Yes, there are less theatres, but in London or Paris, you can't decide to go to sky and be on the slopes half an hour later!
And the people are open minded and welcoming. Yes of course many of them are attached to their habits that are different from ours, but in the rest of the world I've seen people rebuked to the borders of the society because they were wearing a headscarf or a cross, because their skins were darker (or lighter) than the average population, because they didn't eat the same thing or (often) because thay didn't speak the local language.
Here I know several people who've been leaving here for years not speaking a word of french and nobody matters. It's a true melting pot (who says there is racism doesn't know what racism is). The biggest risk you can have here is that your neighbour calls the police when you have a party, but I've been living in Lyon (four times bigger) for seven years and I promise it was much worse! And I remeber parties ruined by neighbours in Barcelona and Madrid, in Italy...
After all, I think the main reason to complain about Geneva is that there's so many people complaining about Geneva :-)
Love Genevans!
Stef__GrannyDec 20, 2005 @ 08:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

15 Replies | 1282 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Praise Geneva!!!
Post 1
Well said, Stef!
Well said, Stef!

misskate, Dec 20, 2005 @ 10:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
When I lived in another small city hours from the nearest real metropolis, with lots of cold and cloudy weather and a large floating population of temporary residents, the complaining revolved around:

- I miss real cities
- The weather is grey and depressing

I used to make fun of people there who were constantly complaining, because neither of those things bothered me.

On this site (and its a small sample size) I actually notice the complaining less than I notice the people who are defensive and bothered by the complaints. This seems to me a very Eurotrash attitude. If you're happy, good for you. Your point of view is valid. So is other people's. You ought to be able to express your high level of thrill about Geneva without pretending you have a right to tell them how they should feel.

I'm actually very happy about my couple of years in Geneva because 1) I love the countryside, 2) my work is in French and a main reason I moved here was to improve my French, 3) it's very easy to get out of.

BUT, I would never recommend to a friend to come and visit the "city" of Geneva. I'm not crazy! Every single person who has come here to visit me looks around at the Pont du Mont Blanc and shakes their head, asking "Where are all the people? Has there been a massacre?"

:)

When I lived in another small city hours from the nearest real metropolis, with lots of cold and cloudy weather and a large floating population of temporary residents, the complaining revolved around:

- I miss real cities
- The weather is grey and depressing

I used to make fun of people there who were constantly complaining, because neither of those things bothered me.

On this site (and its a small sample size) I actually notice the complaining less than I notice the people who are defensive and bothered by the complaints. This seems to me a very Eurotrash attitude. If you're happy, good for you. Your point of view is valid. So is other people's. You ought to be able to express your high level of thrill about Geneva without pretending you have a right to tell them how they should feel.

I'm actually very happy about my couple of years in Geneva because 1) I love the countryside, 2) my work is in French and a main reason I moved here was to improve my French, 3) it's very easy to get out of.

BUT, I would never recommend to a friend to come and visit the "city" of Geneva. I'm not crazy! Every single person who has come here to visit me looks around at the Pont du Mont Blanc and shakes their head, asking "Where are all the people? Has there been a massacre?"

:)

Rohan, Dec 20, 2005 @ 12:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
maybe GOL can open a new website. www.disgruntled-expats.ch
one thing i know for sure, i will not join, because i like it here.
maybe GOL can open a new website. www.disgruntled-expats.ch
one thing i know for sure, i will not join, because i like it here.
Mister_Sark, Dec 20, 2005 @ 13:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
And I'm so glad my post this morning woke up so many reactions :-)
You are so right, man! Everybody's point of view is welcome, but I was missing some positivity towards this lovely and welcoming city!
I had my bad times. I was thinking to quit Geneva. Before I finally found the apartment I'm in now, I has the champion of pissing, bittered neighbours... but I go on thinking that the biggest hassle of this city is to find a place you'd call home. Once you've done that, the rest is rather cool, whatever your class. I've seen people of different incomes/class being given the means to live here. Apartements of 200 m2 in the centre are given away for social rents to people who need them, thanks to social support. Even the squats are elegant, without the need of being rich. And concerning the car... I'm so glad I got rid of my big, powerful, old but still fashionable Alfa Romeo 164 (bought on an auction on internet five years ago for 525€ :-)) I love the buses where I can read and meet people and get home faster than with a Maserati stuck in traffic.
To the guys that look like thinking that the problem is that you find hard to approach girls without opening a rich wallet, try opening a mouth rich of things to say, instead! It works much better and with gilrs much more worth the effort :-)
Back to you Sezegnin: I'm looking forward to summer to organise that ride in sea kayak we talked about :-) and I LOVE the idea that I'll be able to do it down my windows :¬)
And I'm so glad my post this morning woke up so many reactions :-)
You are so right, man! Everybody's point of view is welcome, but I was missing some positivity towards this lovely and welcoming city!
I had my bad times. I was thinking to quit Geneva. Before I finally found the apartment I'm in now, I has the champion of pissing, bittered neighbours... but I go on thinking that the biggest hassle of this city is to find a place you'd call home. Once you've done that, the rest is rather cool, whatever your class. I've seen people of different incomes/class being given the means to live here. Apartements of 200 m2 in the centre are given away for social rents to people who need them, thanks to social support. Even the squats are elegant, without the need of being rich. And concerning the car... I'm so glad I got rid of my big, powerful, old but still fashionable Alfa Romeo 164 (bought on an auction on internet five years ago for 525€ :-)) I love the buses where I can read and meet people and get home faster than with a Maserati stuck in traffic.
To the guys that look like thinking that the problem is that you find hard to approach girls without opening a rich wallet, try opening a mouth rich of things to say, instead! It works much better and with gilrs much more worth the effort :-)
Back to you Sezegnin: I'm looking forward to summer to organise that ride in sea kayak we talked about :-) and I LOVE the idea that I'll be able to do it down my windows :¬)
Stef__Granny, Dec 20, 2005 @ 16:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Who gives a damm about those girls who want you for your position (social position, I mean :-))?
Just give a look around and choose among the others, the ones that have more to say than to ask!
Unless that's the kind of girl that you want and you would like to be the kind of man that they look for.
In that case, I have no easy solution: either you change your mind or you work as a donkey and earn a lot of money.
But be aware that it was you created the problem.
Good luck & see you around :-)
Who gives a damm about those girls who want you for your position (social position, I mean :-))?
Just give a look around and choose among the others, the ones that have more to say than to ask!
Unless that's the kind of girl that you want and you would like to be the kind of man that they look for.
In that case, I have no easy solution: either you change your mind or you work as a donkey and earn a lot of money.
But be aware that it was you created the problem.
Good luck & see you around :-)
Stef__Granny, Dec 21, 2005 @ 23:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
I go on havin the impression nobody gets your point
I go on havin the impression nobody gets your point
Stef__Granny, Dec 22, 2005 @ 15:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
three times longer and thirteen times more confused!
three times longer and thirteen times more confused!
Stef__Granny, Dec 22, 2005 @ 15:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Most of us are here by choice. If Geneva doesn't have more benefits than drawbacks, why are we here?

If someone has a better option than Geneva, they should take it.

I miss some things from home, but if it was really better for me there, I would go back.

Everyone has the right to express their opinion and even complain. However, complaining to people who have no control of what one is complaining about seems non-productive.

If anyone is not here by choice, I am sorry. I have never been in a position where I was held in one place against my will. Certainly, I don't have the resources to live anyplace I would want if I didn't have to give up something else.

I have weighed the pros and cons of my choices and found Geneva to be the place for me at this time.

So, praise Geneva!
Most of us are here by choice. If Geneva doesn't have more benefits than drawbacks, why are we here?

If someone has a better option than Geneva, they should take it.

I miss some things from home, but if it was really better for me there, I would go back.

Everyone has the right to express their opinion and even complain. However, complaining to people who have no control of what one is complaining about seems non-productive.

If anyone is not here by choice, I am sorry. I have never been in a position where I was held in one place against my will. Certainly, I don't have the resources to live anyplace I would want if I didn't have to give up something else.

I have weighed the pros and cons of my choices and found Geneva to be the place for me at this time.

So, praise Geneva!
Double_D, Dec 29, 2005 @ 22:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
15 Replies | 1282 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form