Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Previous LPP status when start working for UN

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Previous LPP status when start working for UN

Hello,

Please, help if you experienced  a similar situation.

I worked for a Swiss company before and it's contributed toward my Swiss pension (LPP). I've left the company and join UN, which does not contribute to Swiss pension and is not a part of the Swiss pension scheme (I assume).

I've got a letter of termination from Baloise (I guess it's a pension provider) asking what to do with contributions from my previous employer - transfer to ne employer, pay in cash or freeze in the bank. They suggest that my option is to freeze in a bank, rather than get cash. 

Did anyone come across this situation and what was the outcome?

Thanks

Mikhail

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

Please, help if you experienced  a similar situation.

I worked for a Swiss company before and it's contributed toward my Swiss pension (LPP). I've left the company and join UN, which does not contribute to Swiss pension and is not a part of the Swiss pension scheme (I assume).

I've got a letter of termination from Baloise (I guess it's a pension provider) asking what to do with contributions from my previous employer - transfer to ne employer, pay in cash or freeze in the bank. They suggest that my option is to freeze in a bank, rather than get cash. 

Did anyone come across this situation and what was the outcome?

Thanks

Mikhail

Mikhail BJul 31, 2022 @ 13:51
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 886 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Previous LPP status when start working for UN
Post 1

Hi Mikhail,

Firstly ensure with your employer’s HR department that indeed you are no longer subject to the Swiss LPP.

If ths is the case, clarify with Baloise, if and how much return you can expect by leaving the pension savings with them. Then you can decide whether you’ll be able to manage the funds more efficiently.

Best regards,

Andre

[email protected]

Hi Mikhail,

Firstly ensure with your employer’s HR department that indeed you are no longer subject to the Swiss LPP.

If ths is the case, clarify with Baloise, if and how much return you can expect by leaving the pension savings with them. Then you can decide whether you’ll be able to manage the funds more efficiently.

Best regards,

Andre

[email protected]

André Graf, Aug 1, 2022 @ 10:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

One more aspect to take into consideration is that if the funds are paid out they are subject to taxes, even though at a preferential rate.

One more aspect to take into consideration is that if the funds are paid out they are subject to taxes, even though at a preferential rate.

André Graf, Aug 1, 2022 @ 10:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Andre,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I will aks them to clarify my options, but it looks like they neither allow me to keep the funds with them (probably a corporate scheme) nor to get the cash. They said that I have to open a special account in a bank, which will be frozen until I retire, and they will trunsfer the funds to it. This sounds strange to me, but I'll ask them again, I will also ask the bank - they must know something about this if banks are involved, I hope.

Thanks again

Mikhail

Hi Andre,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I will aks them to clarify my options, but it looks like they neither allow me to keep the funds with them (probably a corporate scheme) nor to get the cash. They said that I have to open a special account in a bank, which will be frozen until I retire, and they will trunsfer the funds to it. This sounds strange to me, but I'll ask them again, I will also ask the bank - they must know something about this if banks are involved, I hope.

Thanks again

Mikhail

Mikhail B, Aug 1, 2022 @ 16:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Andre,

Thanks again

Mikhail

Aug 1, 22 16:08

Something else that might have a bearing on your decision is the length of your present UN contract and whether it will be extended.

Something else that might have a bearing on your decision is the length of your present UN contract and whether it will be extended.

Ritchie, Aug 2, 2022 @ 04:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Andre,

Thanks again

Mikhail

Aug 1, 22 16:08

The frozen account is called a "libre passage", designed to allow you to move your pension funds to the pension fund of a new employer.

You can normally retrieve these funds if you definately leave CH. (Or use it to buy a house)

The pension funds normally give quite a low interest rate, because they have to be very careful.

However, I believe that you can ask to have different risk profiles for your libre-passage. Dependant on your age, you might want to have a riskier profile (and hopefully better interest) than someone appaching retirement.

BTW, I've been in the same situation as you, I decided to keep my LPP in the libre-passage.

Contact me by PM if you want a personal discussion.

The frozen account is called a "libre passage", designed to allow you to move your pension funds to the pension fund of a new employer.

You can normally retrieve these funds if you definately leave CH. (Or use it to buy a house)

The pension funds normally give quite a low interest rate, because they have to be very careful.

However, I believe that you can ask to have different risk profiles for your libre-passage. Dependant on your age, you might want to have a riskier profile (and hopefully better interest) than someone appaching retirement.

BTW, I've been in the same situation as you, I decided to keep my LPP in the libre-passage.

Contact me by PM if you want a personal discussion.

tawb, Aug 4, 2022 @ 20:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks a lot Tawb for explaining clearly the purpose of the "libre passage" account. This was exactly the missing piece of the puzzle.

Thanks a lot Tawb for explaining clearly the purpose of the "libre passage" account. This was exactly the missing piece of the puzzle.

Mikhail B, Aug 5, 2022 @ 09:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 886 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form