Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Question about Travel and Coronavirus between Germany and Switzerland

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Question about Travel and Coronavirus between Germany and Switzerland

I have to travel to germany for a job interview in person, and am trying to figure out now if I can avoid a quarentine through the 24 hour rule. This rule states that if you are in the Federal Replublic of Germany for less than 24 hours, quarentine is not necessary. My question is, when does the 24 hours start from? This may seem like a small detail but it is very important for my planning and if I can be a part of this excemption. Does the 24 hours begin from when you get off your trains in your destination in Germany, or is it from when your train crosses the border? Any information on this would be very helpful.... I am searching for a phone number to try to ask this but am currently struggling to clarify this....thank you!

The text you are quoting:

I have to travel to germany for a job interview in person, and am trying to figure out now if I can avoid a quarentine through the 24 hour rule. This rule states that if you are in the Federal Replublic of Germany for less than 24 hours, quarentine is not necessary. My question is, when does the 24 hours start from? This may seem like a small detail but it is very important for my planning and if I can be a part of this excemption. Does the 24 hours begin from when you get off your trains in your destination in Germany, or is it from when your train crosses the border? Any information on this would be very helpful.... I am searching for a phone number to try to ask this but am currently struggling to clarify this....thank you!

Gemma GFeb 11, 2021 @ 21:48
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 894 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Question about Travel and Coronavirus between Germany and Switzerland
Post 1

Welcome!

Welcome!

Nikoloz Pepanashvili, Feb 13, 2021 @ 11:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I think the 24-hour period starts at the time the train arrives at the German city of destination, and ends at the time the train departs from a German city.

In fact these times can be easily checked on a train ticket, while there is no trace of the border crossing time.

Also not all trips to Germany requires a quarantine upon your return, only the stays in:

Land Brandenburg
Land Sachsen-Anhalt
Land Thüringen

More info here and here.

I think the 24-hour period starts at the time the train arrives at the German city of destination, and ends at the time the train departs from a German city.

In fact these times can be easily checked on a train ticket, while there is no trace of the border crossing time.

Also not all trips to Germany requires a quarantine upon your return, only the stays in:

Land Brandenburg
Land Sachsen-Anhalt
Land Thüringen

More info here and here.

TheOmegaMan, Feb 14, 2021 @ 12:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
It’s difficult to find the precise information that you seek, it does not appear to be on any of the German Government websites or other websites I have looked on.
To be absolutely sure of an answer to this and for any other clarification you seek for inside Germany that’s not obvious, it’s probably best to email the Robert Koch institute for more details, as they are one of the main information centres there and apparently continually update all info.
https://www.rki.de/EN/Service/Contact/Contact_node.html
Or  else, email the German Ministry of Health, or the German Ministry of the Interior from their websites.
It’s difficult to find the precise information that you seek, it does not appear to be on any of the German Government websites or other websites I have looked on.
To be absolutely sure of an answer to this and for any other clarification you seek for inside Germany that’s not obvious, it’s probably best to email the Robert Koch institute for more details, as they are one of the main information centres there and apparently continually update all info.
https://www.rki.de/EN/Service/Contact/Contact_node.html
Or  else, email the German Ministry of Health, or the German Ministry of the Interior from their websites.
TogJay, Feb 14, 2021 @ 18:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thank you! Yes I ended being able to call, and unfortunately they said that the 24 hours begins when you cross the border into Germany on the train. :/ it just seems a bit crazy to me that I am potentially going there for few hour job interview one afternoon, but if I want to get there the night before I have to do minimum 5 days of quarentine...

Thank you for your help!

Thank you! Yes I ended being able to call, and unfortunately they said that the 24 hours begins when you cross the border into Germany on the train. :/ it just seems a bit crazy to me that I am potentially going there for few hour job interview one afternoon, but if I want to get there the night before I have to do minimum 5 days of quarentine...

Thank you for your help!

Gemma G, Feb 16, 2021 @ 19:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for your help!

Gemma G, Feb 16, 2021 @ 19:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thank you for your help!

Feb 16, 21 19:09

Could you spend the night before the interview in a Swiss hotel at the border, then take the first train into Germany early in the morning, attend the interview and then return immediately to Switzerland?

Could you spend the night before the interview in a Swiss hotel at the border, then take the first train into Germany early in the morning, attend the interview and then return immediately to Switzerland?

Ritchie, Feb 17, 2021 @ 03:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

This is what I had hoped.... But unfortunately even from the Swiss border as close as possible to my destination I still would be over the time. It looks like the fastest way by train to my destination is about 8 hours one way....So technically going the night before would put me over the time limit I think

This is what I had hoped.... But unfortunately even from the Swiss border as close as possible to my destination I still would be over the time. It looks like the fastest way by train to my destination is about 8 hours one way....So technically going the night before would put me over the time limit I think

Gemma G, Feb 17, 2021 @ 19:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Could you ask to be intervieed online ?  It’s a bit cheeky, of course, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Could you ask to be intervieed online ?  It’s a bit cheeky, of course, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Ritchie, Feb 17, 2021 @ 19:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

A great suggestion, I wish! I already passed an online interview actually, this is the final round so it is necessary to go there. It's for a job in a dance company so unfortunately we are at the point where the online has it's limitations.... but thank you!

A great suggestion, I wish! I already passed an online interview actually, this is the final round so it is necessary to go there. It's for a job in a dance company so unfortunately we are at the point where the online has it's limitations.... but thank you!

Gemma G, Feb 17, 2021 @ 20:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Feb 17, 21 20:06

Did you ever get to that interview?

Did you ever get to that interview?

Ritchie, Mar 13, 2021 @ 19:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 894 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form