Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Question on travelling via France

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Question on travelling via France

Hi, I need to travel from Switzerland to Switzerland by car, and the most direct route is via France.  If I dont travel via France it will add about 50km to my journey.  But looking on the french declaration you have to fill in, they obviously havent considered such a possibility  and I do need to carry that form.  So... anyone have any experience/knowledge as to whether it's okay? I wouldn't actually be stopping in France, just passing through haute savoie. 

The text you are quoting:

Hi, I need to travel from Switzerland to Switzerland by car, and the most direct route is via France.  If I dont travel via France it will add about 50km to my journey.  But looking on the french declaration you have to fill in, they obviously havent considered such a possibility  and I do need to carry that form.  So... anyone have any experience/knowledge as to whether it's okay? I wouldn't actually be stopping in France, just passing through haute savoie. 

hucklewooNov 14, 2020 @ 08:20
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 855 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Question on travelling via France
Post 1

Good question.

Does anyone know are the restrictions for people living in Geneva to go to France at the moment?

Good question.

Does anyone know are the restrictions for people living in Geneva to go to France at the moment?

Sean C, Nov 14, 2020 @ 22:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Well, here are the attestations  and permissions for  International travelling in France
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation-de-deplacement-et-de-voyage

Not sure, but on reading, (if I  have understood correctly??) you might be able to, but  if so, would have  to carry an attestation with you (forms provided) to declare you were free of the virus.
However, it might be a good idea to query this on the phone,  referring to the documentation, with some, or several different  French authorities, to check if this is correct (Mairies, gendarmerie, douanes, etc).
Or maybe a French Glocals member could correct me on this?

Well, here are the attestations  and permissions for  International travelling in France
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation-de-deplacement-et-de-voyage

Not sure, but on reading, (if I  have understood correctly??) you might be able to, but  if so, would have  to carry an attestation with you (forms provided) to declare you were free of the virus.
However, it might be a good idea to query this on the phone,  referring to the documentation, with some, or several different  French authorities, to check if this is correct (Mairies, gendarmerie, douanes, etc).
Or maybe a French Glocals member could correct me on this?

TogJay, Nov 15, 2020 @ 09:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Why not phone Touring Club Suisse?  They should be able to advise.

Best, R.

Why not phone Touring Club Suisse?  They should be able to advise.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Nov 15, 2020 @ 12:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

If you plan to go to Valais through Thonon instead of Lausanne, i advise you to drive on the Swiss side. The highway is faster and you will avoid any problem with French restrictions

If you plan to go to Valais through Thonon instead of Lausanne, i advise you to drive on the Swiss side. The highway is faster and you will avoid any problem with French restrictions

Alexandre P, Nov 15, 2020 @ 19:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

@ Sean

Geneva residents are allowed brief passage in neighbouring France to buy ‘des courses de premier necessité ’,  for instance food,  by condition of filling in an 'Attestation de déplacement dérogatoire‘’ and having that with them as they pass the border  to present then, or later, if asked 

Attestation available here:
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestations-de-deplacement

Customs remain open. The tpg trams and Léman express continue to run as normal  to Annemasse

A brief passage over the border is authorised, but on the other hand a weekend in France, socially visiting/staying with friends or family in France are not allowed, nor is visiting a secondary residence in France.

All displacements should be limited in distance, with no dillydalling

Also not allowed is crossing the border to go for a walk, or hike, or other ‘loisirs’. 

There was an article on this subject in the Tribune de Genéve, 31st October that I was given a photocopy of,  but i could not find it in their archives. If you want to have a go, or to contact the TdG, the article is called 'Nouvelles measures contre le Coronavirus', by  Luca di Stefano.

Separately, there are measures for interrnational travel, transit in the French territory, travel for imited time within the French territory, mentioned in the other link i gave above, but the conditions and the attestations are different.
These are not entirely clesr to me

Thee  conditions would need to be checked with some French authority, or maybe the TCS as suggested by Ritchie,  to see under which circumstances these would be applicable, es the fines could be quite steep otherwise.

@ Sean

Geneva residents are allowed brief passage in neighbouring France to buy ‘des courses de premier necessité ’,  for instance food,  by condition of filling in an 'Attestation de déplacement dérogatoire‘’ and having that with them as they pass the border  to present then, or later, if asked 

Attestation available here:
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestations-de-deplacement

Customs remain open. The tpg trams and Léman express continue to run as normal  to Annemasse

A brief passage over the border is authorised, but on the other hand a weekend in France, socially visiting/staying with friends or family in France are not allowed, nor is visiting a secondary residence in France.

All displacements should be limited in distance, with no dillydalling

Also not allowed is crossing the border to go for a walk, or hike, or other ‘loisirs’. 

There was an article on this subject in the Tribune de Genéve, 31st October that I was given a photocopy of,  but i could not find it in their archives. If you want to have a go, or to contact the TdG, the article is called 'Nouvelles measures contre le Coronavirus', by  Luca di Stefano.

Separately, there are measures for interrnational travel, transit in the French territory, travel for imited time within the French territory, mentioned in the other link i gave above, but the conditions and the attestations are different.
These are not entirely clesr to me

Thee  conditions would need to be checked with some French authority, or maybe the TCS as suggested by Ritchie,  to see under which circumstances these would be applicable, es the fines could be quite steep otherwise.

TogJay, Nov 15, 2020 @ 20:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

So just to update, the journey was not a problem at all.  In fact it was super easy due to the lack of traffic????.  Amusingly I was only checked by the Swiss border staff, not by the french, and they merely wanted to know if I was importing merchandise! So basically, carry the attestation (you can even fill in an electronic one and  keep it with you on your phone) and abide by the same rules as a french resident.  

So just to update, the journey was not a problem at all.  In fact it was super easy due to the lack of traffic????.  Amusingly I was only checked by the Swiss border staff, not by the french, and they merely wanted to know if I was importing merchandise! So basically, carry the attestation (you can even fill in an electronic one and  keep it with you on your phone) and abide by the same rules as a french resident.  

hucklewoo, Nov 15, 2020 @ 20:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I pass once a week, without any problem, but just in case I have the paper filled in, the same what French have to be able to go out.

I pass once a week, without any problem, but just in case I have the paper filled in, the same what French have to be able to go out.

Wojtek W, Nov 19, 2020 @ 23:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 855 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form