Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Question on your rights when dealing with the Régies

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Question on your rights when dealing with the Régies

Hi, I contacted by email my Régie of the flat I’m renting on January 7th to give notice and ask for next steps in the procedure. They waited 3 weeks before answering, ignoring several reminders and calls I did in the mean time, to say that I had to send a letter by post to give notice (something I didn’t know beforehand).

I did this right away and sent the letter by DHL to make sure it would arrive with them the next day. A week had passed and I have received no feedback from them despite sending a reminder email. My intention was to move out of my flat on April 15 (so three months and a week after contacting them initially) and fear that they now will only agree that I stop paying rent 3 months from now (so a full month more then I had in mind and entirely due to their lack of response to me for weeks).

Has anybody been in this situation and can tell me what my rights are to dispute a later moving out date of my flat and if there is an instance I can turn to to help me with this? The feedback I finally got from the person responsible in the regie of my building replied with sarcasm after letting me wait for 3 weeks and now is ignoring me. I can’t believe their lack of professionalism and wanted to see what I could do about this.

Thanks for reading

The text you are quoting:

Hi, I contacted by email my Régie of the flat I’m renting on January 7th to give notice and ask for next steps in the procedure. They waited 3 weeks before answering, ignoring several reminders and calls I did in the mean time, to say that I had to send a letter by post to give notice (something I didn’t know beforehand).

I did this right away and sent the letter by DHL to make sure it would arrive with them the next day. A week had passed and I have received no feedback from them despite sending a reminder email. My intention was to move out of my flat on April 15 (so three months and a week after contacting them initially) and fear that they now will only agree that I stop paying rent 3 months from now (so a full month more then I had in mind and entirely due to their lack of response to me for weeks).

Has anybody been in this situation and can tell me what my rights are to dispute a later moving out date of my flat and if there is an instance I can turn to to help me with this? The feedback I finally got from the person responsible in the regie of my building replied with sarcasm after letting me wait for 3 weeks and now is ignoring me. I can’t believe their lack of professionalism and wanted to see what I could do about this.

Thanks for reading

Steven VanbockrijckJan 31, 2019 @ 19:28
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 931 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Question on your rights when dealing with the Régies
Post 1

Contact ASLOCA -- the tenants’ association -- as fast as you can.  They will give you professional advice on how to resolve this tricky situation.

Because it’s somewhat surprising that you did not look at your lease to check the procedure for cancelling your rental agreement and moreover that you did not follow the nigh universal practice whereby the wish to terminate a rental agreement is normally dispatched to the owner (or his/her agent) d by registered mail.

Good luck!  R.

Contact ASLOCA -- the tenants’ association -- as fast as you can.  They will give you professional advice on how to resolve this tricky situation.

Because it’s somewhat surprising that you did not look at your lease to check the procedure for cancelling your rental agreement and moreover that you did not follow the nigh universal practice whereby the wish to terminate a rental agreement is normally dispatched to the owner (or his/her agent) d by registered mail.

Good luck!  R.

Ritchie, Jan 31, 2019 @ 22:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Nigh universal is not correct at all. I've lived in Belgium, The Netherlands, Mexico, the USA and now Zwitzerland and only here did you need a signed letter to give official notice (and in no country did I encounter this unproffesional behaviour I'm dealing with now but am starting to get the idea that this is the Swiss way after having lived here for a year now).

Nigh universal is not correct at all. I've lived in Belgium, The Netherlands, Mexico, the USA and now Zwitzerland and only here did you need a signed letter to give official notice (and in no country did I encounter this unproffesional behaviour I'm dealing with now but am starting to get the idea that this is the Swiss way after having lived here for a year now).

Steven Vanbockrijck, Feb 1, 2019 @ 09:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Feb 1, 19 09:30

In reply to your comment, it happens that I hae not lived in the countries you mention but in those that I have – UK, Canada, Egypt, and Sri Lanka as well as  CH – registered written confirmation of a wish to terminate a rental agreement was required.  In any event, I would venture to suggest that it is not only courteous to follow this practice, it also furnishes proof that you do intend to vacate the premises you rent on the given date.

I agree that  Switzerland has many rules and regulations but why not follow the old adage “When in Rome …”?  You might even get to like it that way if you stay long enough.

Best, R.

In reply to your comment, it happens that I hae not lived in the countries you mention but in those that I have – UK, Canada, Egypt, and Sri Lanka as well as  CH – registered written confirmation of a wish to terminate a rental agreement was required.  In any event, I would venture to suggest that it is not only courteous to follow this practice, it also furnishes proof that you do intend to vacate the premises you rent on the given date.

I agree that  Switzerland has many rules and regulations but why not follow the old adage “When in Rome …”?  You might even get to like it that way if you stay long enough.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Feb 1, 2019 @ 10:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I lived in the UK for 5 years (Scotland) and moved twice and never had to send a signed letter. Anyway my point was that I didn't know this was required here and that they waited 3 weeks before giving any feedback on the procedure to be followed which is unproffesional (never had to wait more than a day for feedback from a realtor in any country I lived before) and otherwise they would have received their signed letter giving notice the day after I contacted them.

But thanks for the condescending 'you should have known' comment, that was very helpful and obviously important for you to make.

I lived in the UK for 5 years (Scotland) and moved twice and never had to send a signed letter. Anyway my point was that I didn't know this was required here and that they waited 3 weeks before giving any feedback on the procedure to be followed which is unproffesional (never had to wait more than a day for feedback from a realtor in any country I lived before) and otherwise they would have received their signed letter giving notice the day after I contacted them.

But thanks for the condescending 'you should have known' comment, that was very helpful and obviously important for you to make.

Steven Vanbockrijck, Feb 1, 2019 @ 11:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. I will try to find someone to take over my lease as it seems my best option. Thanks again.

Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. I will try to find someone to take over my lease as it seems my best option. Thanks again.

Steven Vanbockrijck, Feb 4, 2019 @ 09:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I had such experience with insurance company, exactly the same when I requested to terminate the contract with them. I finally took the letter with me and delivered by myself, ask for confirmation in front of them, by requesting a Stamp of Receipt with date from them on my request letter. 

If you have sent your letter via DHL, there must be the proof when they have received your letter, no?

Good luck!

I had such experience with insurance company, exactly the same when I requested to terminate the contract with them. I finally took the letter with me and delivered by myself, ask for confirmation in front of them, by requesting a Stamp of Receipt with date from them on my request letter. 

If you have sent your letter via DHL, there must be the proof when they have received your letter, no?

Good luck!

Jessica G, Feb 5, 2019 @ 11:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

The regie has a right to answer your official request to terminate the rental agreement witihin 4 weeks upon reception of registered mail.

Now what you can do:

Put an advert on the free of charge website like acheter-louer.ch,glocals.ch or pay at immostreet.ch, homegate.ch and you will quickly find future tenants. Ask them to bring a complete file with them: last 3 months salary slip, copies of passport and permit, completed rental request form (find it on your regie webiste). You will need to present at least 2-3 candidates (in case one of them drop out last minute) who are ready to take over the rental contract at the same conditions and then you are off the hook.The regie has a right to refuse the candidate who has unsufficient salary (the rent of the apartment cant acceed 1/3 of his/her brut monthly salary). The couples are more attarctive as they combine 2 salaries.

The regie can refuse the candidates even if they are reliable and look for the future tenants themselves (in case they want to increase the rent) then you are off the hook as well.

Basically everyone who is leaving the flat are presenting the candidates to accelerate the process. I beleive after presenting the candidates to your regie you can move out in 1 month or so.

P.S: dont forget about "etat des lieux" which is a flat expectation by the regie at the last day of the rent. The apartment has to be in the same state as before your move in. Ask Asloca and they will explain.

Good luck!

The regie has a right to answer your official request to terminate the rental agreement witihin 4 weeks upon reception of registered mail.

Now what you can do:

Put an advert on the free of charge website like acheter-louer.ch,glocals.ch or pay at immostreet.ch, homegate.ch and you will quickly find future tenants. Ask them to bring a complete file with them: last 3 months salary slip, copies of passport and permit, completed rental request form (find it on your regie webiste). You will need to present at least 2-3 candidates (in case one of them drop out last minute) who are ready to take over the rental contract at the same conditions and then you are off the hook.The regie has a right to refuse the candidate who has unsufficient salary (the rent of the apartment cant acceed 1/3 of his/her brut monthly salary). The couples are more attarctive as they combine 2 salaries.

The regie can refuse the candidates even if they are reliable and look for the future tenants themselves (in case they want to increase the rent) then you are off the hook as well.

Basically everyone who is leaving the flat are presenting the candidates to accelerate the process. I beleive after presenting the candidates to your regie you can move out in 1 month or so.

P.S: dont forget about "etat des lieux" which is a flat expectation by the regie at the last day of the rent. The apartment has to be in the same state as before your move in. Ask Asloca and they will explain.

Good luck!

Nat S, Feb 5, 2019 @ 20:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

forgot to mention for future tenants: to bring the "attestation de non poursuite" that they dont have any outstanding bills to pay to someone

forgot to mention for future tenants: to bring the "attestation de non poursuite" that they dont have any outstanding bills to pay to someone

Nat S, Feb 5, 2019 @ 20:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 931 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form